Towing Boat 300 miles??

5thFish

Cadet
Hi All,

I tow my boat with an F150. With the boat and a full load of gear, I'm just under the towing capacity of the truck. I think the gcvw is something like 15,000lbs and I'm towing at about 14,500lbs, give or take a few. However, I usually just tow it locally, no more than 25 miles.

This weekend I want to take it to Lake Mead, about 5 hours away. It will easily be the longest trip with the boat and I'm not sure it's such a good idea. My brother says it's no problem, as he's done it many times, but with a much smaller boat.

Anyone else at the towing limit of their tow vehicle making long trips? Anyone advise against it?

Thanks...

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Towing Boat 300 miles??

I dunno... I guess I would make sure all the mechanicals are in good shape, keep my speed down, watch my gauges, and stop periodically to check things over (wheel bearing temp). I don't think I'd try to make 300 miles in only 5 hours. That's a LOT of weight to haul down from high speed.

I'd also be prepared to call it a day and head back home if the rig just didn't feel "comfortable" on the highway.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I would tow a 3,000 lb boat with my 93 4wd explorer, and The limit was prob 4,000 lbs. I would tow it about 200 miles each way when i went to school. Once you get up to speed, it gets easier to pull the weight. The hardest part is getting up to 55 mph.

5thFish

Cadet

The towing capacity of my truck, I believe is 7040lbs, maybe 8600lbs. I'm not sure how to verify the transmission gear ratio so I'm just using the lower value of 7040lbs. My boat, fuel, and gear, I'm estimating at 6500lbs. It carries 1000lbs of fuel and the tank is currently full. If I had thought ahead I wouldn't have filled it up. Either way I'm near the towing capacity limit.

The GCVW I think is 15,000lbs, I'ld have to look again. But with the 6500lbs from above, plus the truck, truck fuel, passengers, bed-load, I'm just under the 15,000lbs GCVW, I think... I'm not over, but not exactly sure how far under.

I was gonna give it a shot, with the plan to stop and come home if it doesn't feel right. But I was hoping someone would talk me out of it... :)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you driving on highways, or windy roads?
Sometimes i gear down to help take pressure off the brakes when i'm slowing down.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5thfish,
I'm from Orange County and I make that trip all the time and I drive exactly 300 miles to Havasu. My boat weighs 3150 dry but with all our gear and my family Im towing pretty close to my max. I tow with a Nissan Pathfinder rated at 5000 lbs and it only has a V-6 in it. Your F-150 is gotta be a better tow than mine and mine's not bad. Just make shure you get an oil change and check the tranny fluid and DONT GAS UP the boat and you'll be fine. Once your at 55 or so you wont even be able to tell your towing!! Don't forget to check the air in your tires.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr168/AZcontreras1/100_0386.jpg

98LSWON

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't do it if you don't have a transmission cooler.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i tow quit a bit with my 1500 sera and yukon XL. my boat and trailer weight#7000. the last trip was to mead,800+ one way.
i stop every 100 miles or so for gas and just to do a walk around. i try to travel 60 to 65 mph. the frist thing you need to keep in mind is not how fast you can go, but HOW FAST YOU CAN STOP.
make sure your equipment is in goog shape and take it easy. allow 10 hours min. for you trip and TAKE IT EASY.

2366923540103006965S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

this happens to be my pu at mead this fall. did mention TAKE IT EASY and dont get in a hurry.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

100_0386.jpg

P1070049.jpg

Sorry Guys, I Love my Boat!!

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I strongly suggest going to a ford dealer, and ask the parts dept to run a computer readout on that vehicle. it will list the options installed at the factory. Very inportant is the "heavy duty tow package".
My expedition has the H/D tow package and is rated at 8900# towing. With the normal duty tow pachage, rating drops to 5800# The H/D package has a larger tranny cooler, bigger alternator and battery, trailer electricals are relay controlled with separate fuses, better engine cooling, limited slip rear with the correct ratio ( Ford uses 3.73/1), etc
If the vehicle came with a factory installed hitch, and has both the 7 pin round (RV) connector and the 4 pin flat on a bracket, it PROBABLY has the H/D package.
Seek help from the dealers service dept.
Towing at or near the limit without the package puts strains that the vehicle was not made for.

I trailed to the Keys many times. The ramp/marina is 301 miles from my house. With a proper tow vehicle and trailer, no problem.
My $.02

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just like your brother?s truck, your truck will get the job done.

But please do remember the simple equation below:

"Over stressing vehicle design = Shorten vehicle life"

mthieme

Captain

That's quite a load for an F150.
Be careful.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just another nickel here; That's a long way for tires, bearings, seals to get hot....you might want to give things a chance to cool down before you plunk it in the lake. Just thought I'd mention it.:)

mrwglo

Cadet

I pulled an enclosed 16 foot trailer with 3 motorcycles 12 hours to Myrtle Beach with my 2003 Sport Trac V6, loaded with 3 guys and baggage for a week. I'm quite sure it was at max or even over and she did fine. Truck has over 200,000 on it and still runs strong. I'm thinking you'll be ok.

5thFish

Cadet

Hey All,

Thanks for the help. We went this last weekend and had a great time. Overall, I wish I had an F250, but the F150 did just fine. We'll definately do it again.

Here's a pic if you're interested.

http://www.5thfish.com/Lakemead1.jpg

Thanks again...

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5thfish,

Beautiful shot!! Just curious as to how it was out their this time of year?? Planning on going out to Mead third week of April for boating/camping trip. I'll be coming out of Orange County, CA.

Thanks,

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

5th; glad every thing worked out for you. is that cove the one just north east of black canyon? my pic is looking more or less north out of black canyon at finger cove below the painted hills. we overnighted there. if your in the cove i am thinking of, it would be a righthand turn at the end of the canyon in my pic.:D

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

5thfish,

Beautiful shot!! Just curious as to how it was out their this time of year?? Planning on going out to Mead third week of April for boating/camping trip. I'll be coming out of Orange County, CA.

Thanks,

angel if you dont have it, here is a realy good sight to keep up on all the lakes on the colorado

http://lakemead.water-data.com/

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Jax,

Thanks I really appreciate that!!