Anyone make/paint their own stuff?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Since last summer, I've really got into fishing. Im only 15 minutes from Lake Michigan, and also have a lot of nice smaller lakes near me.

Since its winter and I cant work on the boat or my motorcycle, I thought i would start a hobby and make my own lures.

I've had a Mike Learn Phoenix Mojo Richpen for about 3 years now and rarely used it. I picked it up to do helmets. Great chance to use a 300 dollar airbrush!

Ive done two so far. Second one is MUCH MUCH better than the first, but i know i can do better.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone make/paint their own stuff?

You can see some of my first lures here
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=264414&highlight=homemade+lures

The hellbender shown in the link above hasn't been used much, it is messed up since I hit a pole with it while casting it. I've since made a musky style jitterbug, my own spoons (out of metal table spoons), and an inline buzz bait. I've made 3 more of the regular jitterbugs, sold one to a man that fishes in turnaments, and I gave the other 2 to relatives.

One thing that you should do is invest in lure paint, don't try any of this other cheap airbrush paint that is made for model cars etc. I have a paasche airbrush kit, and have used it. Last few lure I done with a spray paint, just experimenting, which the paint isn't holding up that well, I've warned the relatives and customer that the paint may wair off after a while. I still need to invest in lure paint myself.

I've caught some bass with that jitterbug shown in the link above, I've also caught fish with the spoons I made.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

looks good!
im only painting crankbait. i use a brand of paint called CS Coatings. Its made for painting crankbait.

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

google tackleunderground. You will be overwhelmed at first by the knowledge and information.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

yup! im a member on there.
great site.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Being so close to Lake M, I assume you salmon fish. There is a multitude of tape out there that can be used to spice up spoons. If you want to remove any tape (ladderbacks, etc) from a spoon thats not producing, craft stores sell a product called "Un-Du". It's a sticker remover and works great on taking old tape and all its residue off.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the tip! that might come in handy

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Something I've been thinking about is building the lures after the old style lures. Take for instance that musky jitterbug I made, it is based on the old 3 hook jitterbug. I also made it using the same dimensions as the original musky jitterbug.

Some of these older lures that I see a picture of on the internet I save the picture so maybe one day I will build a similar lure.

ohiogamefishing.com
bassresources.com
and
Bassboatcentral.com (there bbc board link)
all have lure/tackle making forums that I drop by an view every now and then. Wished Iboats had something like that. I also like the antique lure part of the bassboatcentral forum.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I work in a bodyshop.I bought a Lee lead melter and bought me every mold that I could find.I use car paint,mostly Dupont to paint my jigheads,I use the 2 stage paint and leave them dull,no clearcoat.I have 500 lbs of lead ingots,get them for free at the local tire shop,old wheel weights.Melt them,and add some good lead,scrape out the junk and pour them into ingots.No more buying slip sinkers,split shots,jig heads.I love it it is a hobby that makes me very happy.