Tachometer & Speedometer - Can I have them?

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,<br /><br />I have the boat in my sig...<br /><br />There is a speedometer already on the boat, but I'm not real sure if it works... If i understand how the speedometer works, it just requires a pick up mounted on the outside transom that picks up the water as you go, and the speedometer goes off water pressure!?!?<br /><br />What's a good speedometer for under 50MPH?<br /><br />--------<br /><br />The Tachometer, obviously would have to connect into the engine, so I wanted to know if all engines are capable of having tachometers, or if the engine has to have certain wireing/components?<br /><br />If I am able to have a tachometer, can anyone give me some more insight on what all i would need to do in order to connect one?<br /><br />Thanks for the help,<br /><br />-TheChad

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Tachometer & Speedometer - Can I have them?

Check the front edge of the lower unit.. There may be a speedo hole already there for the "pick-up" required for your speedometer.. A hose will go from the lower unit of the motor all the way up to the guage..<br /><br />Yes you can have a tach... It should be easy to wire up if you follow the directions.. A grey wire will connect to the rectifier to read the rpms and you will have to set the pole setting on the guage correctly based on what type of engine you have... This should be included with the directions with the guage.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a Speedo Pick up on the lower unit...<br /><br />The only thing thats funky about that is, It would make it really hard to raise and lower the engine, unless i can figure out a way to run the tube up to the transom mount....<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

KCLOST

Commander

It's not that difficult to run the tube.... But you will have to pull the lower unit off to connect a tube properly.... The key is to have the tube that is exposed above the lower unit to not be subjected to water flow and somewhat protected... It is somewhat motor specific on how it should be run up....

KCLOST

Commander

A little slack in the running will not affect the raising of the engine if done properly...

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> It's not that difficult to run the tube.... But you will have to pull the lower unit off to connect a tube properly.... The key is to have the tube that is exposed above the lower unit to not be subjected to water flow and somewhat protected... It is somewhat motor specific on how it should be run up....
I just bought this boat...<br /><br />The motor already has a tube sticking out of the lower unit..<br /> Click Here To See Pictures... <br /><br />Is running the tube from the the motor Pick-up any more orless accurate than a transom mounted Pick-up?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

KCLOST

Commander

Yep that's it... Make sure it is clean and clear. and all you have to do is connect a tube to the fitting at the end of that lead to the guage.... <br /><br />It should be just as accurate as a transom mount "as long as it is clean and clear"...<br /><br />Play with your tilt/trim to make sure you don't over stretch it when raising and lowering the motor... You can also use some tie-wraps along the way to keep it intact.... <br />Many people like to use a straightened out fish hook to poke around in the speedo hole if it is clogged... Also high pressure air is a major asset to clear any obstructions...

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Course, you could always use GPS instead...you can't get lost then either lol

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like all the Tachometers are calibrated for a speciffic # of poles...<br /><br />How do i know how many poles my engine has?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />-TheChad