65 mpg Ford Fiesta..but you'll never see it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 65 mpg Ford Fiesta..but you'll never see it

that's a shame.

mthieme

Captain

I don't buy their business logic (or at least don't understand it). Hopefully there's more to the story.
I remember the first energy crisis - it made the diesel VW Rabbit an overnight sensation. This was a time when diesel could only be bought at truck stops.
And these guys are begging for another $ infusion???

When someone invents a clean motor that we drop anthracite pellets in, we're home free!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Europe has many get MPG cars to include many small diesels. It's just the regulations to keep air clean that prevents it.

angus63

Captain

The technology is here!! The remedy for economic and regulatory hurdles still evades us. I wonder what the tow rating is?

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ford also makes a Diesel Ranger pickup that gets 30 mpg and is more powerful than the V6 gas version they sell here. They sell it in Australia and there are no plans to bring it here. I think if they give these automakers any money they should be forced to make these vehicles here.

mscher

Lieutenant

I don't buy their business logic (or at least don't understand it). Hopefully there's more to the story.
I remember the first energy crisis - it made the diesel VW Rabbit an overnight sensation. This was a time when diesel could only be bought at truck stops.
And these guys are begging for another $ infusion???

When someone invents a clean motor that we drop anthracite pellets in, we're home free!

It's all about the big 3's life long addiction, to the big profits on big iron.

They hate small cars and the small profits that come with them. Always have, always will.

This addiction could very well lead them to die a junkies death. :(

mthieme

Captain

That's the kind of explanation I understand !!!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

US emission and safety regulations may play a part in Fords decision as well.

fishrdan

Admiral

I should probably start a new thread for this,,,

GM produced the EV1 (100% electric car) back in the late 90's/2000, then pulled them from thier owners (well, really not owners since they all were leased) and had the EV1's crushed :eek:

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/ev1crush.html

If they won't let us have an electric car, why would they let us have a 60MPG car or 30MPG truck :rolleyes:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

...and I quote: "But Ford doesn't believe it could charge enough to make money on an imported ECOnetic." Hmmm.... I thought Ford was an American company that had manufacturing plants here in the US, which would then not require them to be imported. I guess they're selling too many Edge's and FiveHundreds. I know those are just flying out of the showrooms.

And with decision-making skills like that and of GM's, the government is seriously considering throwing money their way to continue on with their proven track record. Amazing....:confused::confused::confused:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

link didnt work fisher dan.

excuse me........but doesnt ford make a really hot selling diesel truck??????

fishrdan

Admiral

Thanks oops!, link should workie now :D

All the "Big 3" have heavy duty diesel trucks that get an impressive 20+MPG for a big truck, but how many can afford a $50-60K truck for a daily driver.

Now take that diesel technology and put it into a truck 1/2 the weight,,, 40MPG??? or a car 1/3 the weight + good aerodynamics 60-70MPG...

NoKlu

All the "Big 3" have heavy duty diesel trucks that get an impressive 20+MPG for a big truck,
If you can show me a new diesel truck that gets 20+ MPG i'll buy it. The guy's at the rig I work on all have new diesel trucks and none of them get anywhere near 20 mpg. We get our fuel free at the rig but I still won't buy a diesel cause they are so expensive to run when I can't get free fuel. I'd buy a diesel car but they would never go where I need it too. Today on the radio GM announced they were going to build a electric car called the Volt. They say they can't have the technology ready till 2011??? I wish I could have got through to the talk show as I would have asked them how long it would be before they crushed them like the others.

fishrdan

Admiral

If you can show me a new diesel truck that gets 20+ MPG i'll buy it. The guy's at the rig I work on all have new diesel trucks and none of them get anywhere near 20 mpg.

Not personal experience, just from talking to guys who drive them. Guess it's how they are driven, terrain, conditions, etc, etc.

NoKlu

I've done all the checking and none of them are that good on fuel. Real world you'd be lucky to get 15 on the highway. At $1.30 a litre they are not cheap to drive.I'm looking to buy a truck soon and even the small trucks won't get 20 unless you go to the 4 banger and they won't pull anything.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

If you can show me a new diesel truck that gets 20+ MPG I'll buy it. ......................................

Having researched this over a long period of time with actual diesel pickup owners, the only diesel that's routinely delivers fuel millage of 20 MPG is Dodge, with the Cummings. I know of 3 guys running 3/4 ton 4WD Dodges who routinely record between 19 and 21 MPG in mixed driving. There is one guy that claims (I've never seen his records) 25MPG in a stripped out 3/4 ton 2WD Dodge.
However with the initial cost for the diesel upgrade, cost of fuel and added cost of routine maintenance, unless your doing a sheet load of towing a gas powered PU is still more economical.

gonefishie

Commander

A supposedly "American company" have manufacturing plants in Britian and Mexico is asking the real American tax payers for money to support their bussiness. Refusing to sell a good product to the same people they are asking for money from because they wouldn't make "enough profit". I think I'm gonna be sick!

NoKlu

Thanks LT. The only dodge guys here all have chips and stuff in their trucks and those don't help them at all. I'll look again. The price of lightly used diesels has been dropping like a rock lately. I can find them a couple years old for $20,000. With the free diesel I get from work 20 mpg will pay to get one.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

2010-Ford-Fiesta.jpg

There is the 2010 Fiesta and it is coming.....Ford could deliever all of the above vehicles you guys are speaking of but.....the engine's are not eviromentaly freindly......the body's are light weight and not acceptable in our country...saftey std's.....and diesel is a four letter word to the enviromental community...;)

Now why do the big 3 build such a high percentage of big trucks and suv's....simple guy's that is what the amercian public want's. Now if you dont want them then you are in the minority, if you had any ideal how far Ford try's to sell high MPG cars youd laugh.....Some high volume Ford truck dealers actually make selling small cars "PART" of the pay plan..that is if you dont sell them if costs the salesperson money..Think about that for a minute..;)