better than carpet!

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im restoring my 1977 14' seaking.. and im putting a flatbottom in it with a sheet of 4x8' plywood... my original idea was to carpet the wood.. but my freind sugessted using cheap rhino lining material... walmart sometimes sells truck bed lining in a paint can for about $30 im going with it cuz its kinda cheaper, and the fish guts can be washed out with a presure washer:D

reelfishin

Captain
Re: better than carpet!

I don't think the stuff at Walmart it like the real Rhino lining? Besides, I think it only comes in black? Black may create some heat issues in the boat?
I did on of mine using Rustoleum garage floor epoxy, it bonds well and with some grit added makes for a great, easy to clean surface. It comes in a few different colors including gray.
Gray works well since it doesn't reflect very much sun light and it doesn't hold heat like black does.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was very satisfied with Grizzly Grip: http://www.grizzlygrip.com/index.asp. It comes in many colors. I tried a "cheaper product" called Herculiner and did not like it nearly as much (had bigger and more tortuous rubber granules in it). Also only comes in black as I remember.

TJB

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used the Wal-Mart stuff for my splashwell and it was fine for that. I wouldn't want to use it for a whole floor. It's smoother than you'd want it to be. Not real grippy at all (and yes I used the textured roller you're supposed to use to apply it).

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

we are thinking about replacing the deck in ours this winter... carpet makes the boat stink and look dirty all the time.

I have read comments that the wal-mart spray on liner is soft and can be scratched off. I will go with grizzly for ours.

Used the Rustoleum garage product in my basement two years ago. Great product - the epoxy is really durable and it went on easy and one kit should cover your project (covered a few of the metal cabinets to match too). Comes in beige and gray.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used the spray can version of the bed liner from WalMart on the bottom of my aluminum boat. To quote Ford - you can have it in any color as long as it is black . . .

Upsides: It is actually cooler to the touch than the painted surfaces; easy to apply; non-skid surface; cheaper than a sprayed in bedliner.

Downsides: You need several coats; gets everywhere when you spray; one of the cans did not work at all; several ran out of spray long before the can felt empty; coverage is suspect; durability yet to be determined.

Are you sure you want to do a wood deck? No matter what you decide to coat it with, you have a lot of prep ahead of you to seal and protect it.

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everyone for saving me from a possibly bad mistake going with wal-mart... i think im going to use that grizly grit stuff.. on the website it showed pics of boats.. and it looks nice thanks everyone:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Another option is the marine floor vinyl. It comes textured, many color choices, and it is wash down. Plus you don't have to worry about it wearing or scratching off. It is more expensive, but the members here that have used it are very pleased with the results.

This one is from Cabelas for about $21/73" wide yard:

i010921sq03.jpg

Also Nautolex at about $26/72" wide yard:

marfloor425009.jpg

This "Deco Dot" raised dot vinyl floor is what I plan on replacing the carpet in my Bayliner project with. The new Bayliner Discovery line comes with a similar deco dot flooring in place of carpet (finally!)

i016272sn02.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That deco dot stuff looks cool. My only concern would be the material drying out over time and the "dots" being easily picked or scraped off. Think old ping pong paddle.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I recently did the bow interior are of my boat with rustoleum and walnut shells (sold inexpensively as blasting media - I also had some on hand) and part of the main compartment floor in the rest with ultra-tuff water-based polyurethane non-skid.

I am going to go with the rubberized ultra-tuff non-skid because we spend a LOT of time barefoot, skiing, etc... in the boat and it's a little easier on the feet as well as being made to stay wet.

I will say the the cheap combo of walnut shell and rustoleum worked great as well and also appears to be quite durable (we often have skiis, maybe spare prop, anchor, etc... riding on that part), not slippery, and easy on the feet. On a budget I would go with it in a heartbeat. I also wouldn't hesitate to use walnut shells with an even more durable two-part paint after the way it turned out..

The ultratuff is a bit more expensive (ok a lot at something like 70 a gallon), and is made and used for things like the concrete decks at water parks, etc... The version with the compounded rubber in it is what we tried and it works great. We did light grey and were able to match the color with rustoleum white tinted with grey on the interior sides. I'm going to splatter paint over it to break up the grey and am a little worried about the splatter paint adhesion, but we'll see how it works once it's done...

Hope this is helpful.

Oh, I brushed and rolled both on... with walnut shells, laid a heavy coat of paint down in the areas I wanted the non-skid coating (taped off) and then sprinkled a heavy layer of ground shells on it and let it dry. after that vacuumed the loose shells off the paint, removed the tape and put another heavy coat of the same paint over the top... On the tuffcoat, get the textured roller they sell for use with it - it makes it a lot easier to get it to lay down right. imho

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That deco dot stuff looks cool. My only concern would be the material drying out over time and the "dots" being easily picked or scraped off. Think old ping pong paddle.

Those old ping pong paddles were made with a rubber face which did dry out over time and crumble apart. This flooring is vinyl, and as such, should have a very long life span.

I like the paint with walnut shells too. Plus it is much cheaper than the vinyl. But you have to admit, the vinyl does look cool.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey EZ, Great job on that Starcraft..Love the before pics, gives me hope for the 18 footer I just got for 200 buxs!

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey EZ, Great job on that Starcraft..Love the before pics, gives me hope for the 18 footer I just got for 200 buxs!

Thanks. Good luck on your project. Start a new thread on it when you get the chance and let us in on the specifics.