Finally found one!

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I think I may have found "the one" boat. It's a 2002 18.5' seaswirl striper center console with a yamaha 115 outboard. What do you guys think? I plan to use it 40% for fishing the nw sound waters, 40% fishing lakes, 20% pleasure. My concern is that I have to pick it up in California and I live in Seattle. This is a first boat for me so I'm clueless and have questions.

1. What do i look for in inspecting the trailer for towing the long way back to Seattle? Bearings, etc.

2. The owner doesn't know how check the boat hours on this boat? Anyone know how to do this? I figure there would be a "mode" button that would change the digital display info somewhere on the dash?

3. The seats cushions and floor looks very dirty on this boat. What is the best method for cleaning it out?

4. I don't understand why this boat uses tandem axle? I seem similar stripers in a single axle. I guess this is a plus for weight distribution? I think the boat and motor together weighs 3000-3200lb dry.

I plan on removing the windshield and grab bar and customizing a collapsable bar and easily removable windshield to fit this through my garage door.

Attachments

• P1000834.JPG
    P1000834.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000835.JPG
    P1000835.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000852.JPG
    P1000852.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000846.JPG
    P1000846.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000849.JPG
    P1000849.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Finally found one!

You never mention how much they want for it. It looks like they keep this boat outside so I would want to know if this particular boat uses wood in its manufacturing. Is the floor solid? Is the transom solid? Definately water test it, not with a hose on muffs, but on the water.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Where in CA?

1) Jack up the trailer, spin the wheels by hand. Listen for any noises, the axle with the brakes on it will typically drag some depending on adjustments and disc or drum . . . Do some searching in the trailer section vvvvvvvv for "Bearing buddies" this will help you determine if they are properly greased. Also, after driving her a few miles get out and touch the hubs (CAREFUL could be VERY hot). You want to isolate any hubs that are especially hot. The hubs with brakes will be hotter, but no one hub should stand out dramatically. The free wheeling hubs (no brakes) should be warm, but not too hot to the touch, on the brake axle both should be similarly hot, also it is best to check them without a strong braking event before . . . If the braking axle's hubs are not somewhat hotter your brakes aren't working . . . Good practice for every stop.

2) Don't know with a Yammy . . . but I think you're right.

3) Good, use it to drive the price down. Cushions can be cleaned and/or reupholstered which is especially easy if they are removable. Elbow grease should take care of the floor.

4) It's a very good thing and indicates it probably has brakes and it will go over nasty bumps slow with very little movement of the boat. Also helps with tongue weight some. Only downside is maneuvering by hand and weight.

MikDee

Banned

My cousin has a 22' SeaSwirl Striper Cuddy, that appears to be a nice, well made boat, at a reasonable price. I think it is a good choice, and that boat is nice as well, but from the looks of those cushions, it appears to be somewhat neglected. Be cautious.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree that it doesn't look to be well maintained. I don't understand why people buy boats that cost a good amount of money and can't be bothered to throw a cover on it. Check carefully for rot. If it's a wood-less boat though then awesome.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool Looking boat SalmonE.
I live in the Seattle area also and that looks like a fun Puget Sound fishing boat.
Surprised no one asked about the motor condition.
I'd want to do a compression test and possibly a leak down test on it.
Or have a qualified mechanic check it out.
I have a 2002 Yami 115 4 stroke and it has an hour meter on it under the cowling.
Don't know if it came with it or not.
It pushes my 17.5 Smoker at about 40+ a little.
Good luck!

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

You never mention how much they want for it. It looks like they keep this boat outside so I would want to know if this particular boat uses wood in its manufacturing. Is the floor solid? Is the transom solid? Definately water test it, not with a hose on muffs, but on the water.

The guy wants 13k. I plan to offer him 11k and get somewhere below 12k. I'm the only guy that has bitten on this boat as he lives in a ghost town. If I can get 12k for it, I think it's a good deal.

As far as wood rot, it seem like Seaswirl didn't start with fiberglass stringers until 2004. Don't know if this is a fact or not? I'll bring my mallet for the knock test. I'm driving 10 hours to see the boat. Will make it a requirement to take her out to the ocean for a test run.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I agree that it doesn't look to be well maintained. I don't understand why people buy boats that cost a good amount of money and can't be bothered to throw a cover on it. Check carefully for rot. If it's a wood-less boat though then awesome.

I think this boat has been sitting for a 2+ months as the owner just bought a new 21' striper for 60k. This one has to go.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Cool Looking boat SalmonE.
I live in the Seattle area also and that looks like a fun Puget Sound fishing boat.
Surprised no one asked about the motor condition.
I'd want to do a compression test and possibly a leak down test on it.
Or have a qualified mechanic check it out.
I have a 2002 Yami 115 4 stroke and it has an hour meter on it under the cowling.
Don't know if it came with it or not.
It pushes my 17.5 Smoker at about 40+ a little.
Good luck!

Good info on the hour meter. I'll have the owner check under the cowling. I plan on doing a compression check as well. Though I have not figure this part out completely yet.

What's a leak down test?

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good info on the hour meter. I'll have the owner check under the cowling. I plan on doing a compression check as well. Though I have not figure this part out completely yet.

What's a leak down test?

See this link regarding leak down tests.
More of a way to identify specifically what's going on inside an engine if you have low compression.
Probably not something you'd be concerened with as long as you show good compression.
http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

The Yammy 2 strokes should have the hours on the digital gauges, not on the motor. That looks like the digital gauge package, and the hours should be directly under the rpm, above the oil level indicator.

What a sweet looking package! That 115 is a sound, reliable motor if it has been taken care of. Remember, if it has the wash down port below the cowling you should not run the motor if using that to flush it. Use the muffs on it if you want to run it. I usually run it with muffs and then change over to the wash down port for another ten minutes.

Really easy to put on an impeller and to change the lu oil. I would do all of that before much use. Maybe new plugs as well.

Just bid on and got a factory manual off ebay for $24 for the newer 150 Yamaha. If you can do the work, the manual is a necessity.

Also, just use some liquid dish soap, hot water and a medium bristle brush for that vinyl. Be wary of lots of chemicals and don't use bleach! Bleach tears the hell out of the vinyl, really drying it out. Use lots of water afterwards to flush it all down. Good luck!

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

The Yammy 2 strokes should have the hours on the digital gauges, not on the motor. That looks like the digital gauge package, and the hours should be directly under the rpm, above the oil level indicator. QUOTE]

I don't know if this is true or not? I just looked at an aluminum boat with a 2001 yamaha 60 4 stroke. It had the hour meter on a digital yamaha gauge.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Good deal all around. I really haven't seen the 4 stroke gauges, but I just got my new to me Key West, also a 2002 with a 2 stroke 150 and just wanted to pass a few things that I had found along to you. It came with the owners manual for the 115, 130 and 150 Yamahas, so I was reading out of the book.

If you can get this for around 11-12k you will have made a good deal, providing the hours are not too high.

Good luck, and I know you will enjoy that configuration. I have had center consoles since 1986, and this was my first DC, but it has good access to the bow, an 8' beam and lots of room behind the seats, so it will work for us.