water coming out around sparkplug holes

Hi all, got me a merc 1150 that has water coming out of the sparkplug seals. I suspect the engine to be blown but am wondering if it is repairable. The water pump went out on it and it ran hot, the #1 piston is scored up pretty good and is knocking. The exhaust baffle was replaced,(the first metal place after opening the cover). Any ideas what is wrong, can i get away with rebuilding the power head or less?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: water coming out around sparkplug holes

That's a pretty old motor to overhaul. Once you're in there, you're going to find that you have to replace the reed blocks more than likely. You might also have cracked a cylinder if it overheated enough to warp the water jacket cover. That happens to these if they get hot enough and it sounds like yours did. You'll probably also find that the okay cylinders are too egged-out from wear to get away with just honing them. I'd consider using yours as a parts motor and look for a decent used one.

Clams Canino

Commander

Water coming out around the water jacket cover around the plug holes is common. That thing is not a cylinder head - it's a cover. That cover is bolted around the perimiter and often leaks around the unsupported plug area holes. Taking off those bolts usually results in breakage. If at all possible clean the area well and use silicone seal to re-seal it. As long as those leaks arent severe, they are relativvely harmless. The system is very low pressure.<br /><br />As for the rest - how lucky do you feel? In the case of a crappy water-pump #1 will fail first, as it's the highest. If you're lucky you can replace #1 (possibly getting it bored .015 over) and re-ring the other 5. It's cost prohibitive to go .015 over on all 6, so if the other 5 are well worn, you'll have to live with it. If it ran good before the problem - it'll prolly run just as good after you fix the problems.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by ronald.a.silvers:<br />Hi all, got me a merc 1150 that has water coming out of the sparkplug seals. I suspect the engine to be blown but am wondering if it is repairable. The water pump went out on it and it ran hot, the #1 piston is scored up pretty good and is knocking. The exhaust baffle was replaced,(the first metal place after opening the cover). Any ideas what is wrong, can i get away with rebuilding the power head or less?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Clams<br /><br />I think you have been arounds Mercs a bit. Coz I reckon you are spot-on with your theory summing up the situation. Esp the No1 failing first, followed by the "Breaking bolts" and frequency of "Water leak from plugs" I must have read 20 posts with the same prognosis. :eek:

Clams Canino

Commander

Just a litle bit - LOL. I have a small shop up here in NH with my "practice" pretty exclusively limited to the inline six. <br /><br />I'm not gonna say I've "seen it all" , but I've seen *just about* every problem the big inlines can have. #1 failing first is only about water failure. All things being equal #3 will fail first from overpropping / detonation etc.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Unicorn:<br />Clams<br /><br />I think you have been arounds Mercs a bit. Coz I reckon you are spot-on with your theory summing up the situation. Esp the No1 failing first, followed by the "Breaking bolts" and frequency of "Water leak from plugs" I must have read 20 posts with the same prognosis. :eek:

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I had a slight drip from top and 2nd plug on my 81 50HP. I used a smear of Liquid steel which seems to have stopped the flow. I was a bit worried that the flow (if around the spark plug threads) would decide to go into the cylinder rather than out. But I have my fingers crossed. Don't really want to rip it apart in the middle of our summer. The plugs look normal (not steam cleaned) which is a good sign, and it only drips after a good run at close to WOT and about 6-8 psi on the gauge. (Salt residue is left around the plug).

Clams Canino

Commander

Don't even worry. That flow *can't* get inside from there. It's a cover not a head. the water is coming out where the cover meets the true head about 1/8 inch from the plug hole.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by Unicorn:<br />I had a slight drip from top and 2nd plug on my 81 50HP. I used a smear of Liquid steel which seems to have stopped the flow. I was a bit worried that the flow (if around the spark plug threads) would decide to go into the cylinder rather than out. But I have my fingers crossed. Don't really want to rip it apart in the middle of our summer. The plugs look normal (not steam cleaned) which is a good sign, and it only drips after a good run at close to WOT and about 6-8 psi on the gauge. (Salt residue is left aroung the plug).

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know whether I like the * * next to the *can't* Are they to allow for Murphy's law ?<br /> :D :D <br />Did I fire 6 rounds.. or only 5 :eek:

Clams Canino

Commander

They were for *emphasis*. As opposed to using all caps - which somehow looks rude to me. LOL<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by Unicorn:<br />Don't know whether I like the * * next to the *can't* Are they to allow for Murphy's law ?<br /> :D :D <br />Did I fire 6 rounds.. or only 5 :eek:

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you're here Clams...<br />We used to have TMD, who unfortunatley left us, and now we have 2 new additions..<br />Your good self and Geraint.. to add to our long list of "Regulars" who are always happy to lend a hand.

Clams Canino

Commander

Thanks,<br /><br />Were it mine I'd pull those two plugs and clean very well around the joint where the cover meets the block and then goop it. Taking that cover off usually results in broken bolts, and powerhead removal.<br /><br />-W

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Ronald<br />Sorry to jump in on your post.. Been here long enough to know better :rolleyes: <br />But what Clams says is right.. <br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=009644#000014 <br />Clams.. I have done what you said.. that is totally cleaned and dried the two counter-sunk areas and mixed up AUST equivalent to your JB weld (No relation to the great man :D ) and pressed it in there. As I wrote.. it has stemmed the flow somewhat. For a permanent repair, you could remove the powerhead and replace or weld components, but I would only do that when the leak is either going into the cylinders or really leaking out.

thanks for all the advise, guys. Is the water leak an indication of why it wont start. when it over heated it still ran but i was getting water in #6 spark plug(not around the seal, in the plug hole itself). a friend replaced the baffle-exhaust manifold plate cause he thought that was where the water was getting by at(it had a hole from rust at bottom by #6) thats also when we saw #1 scored up, the rings and piston are one. But now the water is coming out around the seals of the plugs and it if not starting. Compression test shows 2-5 with very good compression, #1 is the only victom. Is there something on the inside that i should be looking at more carefully?

Clams Canino

Commander

This sounds like multiple issues.<br /><br />The water leaking around the plugs is inconsequential so long as it does not impede firing. I'd goop those areas.<br /><br />Your friend prolly got the #6 issue OR the bottom endcap seals are hosed too.<br /><br />#1 died from overheating and needs to be replaced BEFORE you run it - or it will continue to get further damaged.<br /><br />It should still "start" will the above maladies - though not run too well.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by ronald.a.silvers:<br />thanks for all the advise, guys. Is the water leak an indication of why it wont start. when it over heated it still ran but i was getting water in #6 spark plug(not around the seal, in the plug hole itself). a friend replaced the baffle-exhaust manifold plate cause he thought that was where the water was getting by at(it had a hole from rust at bottom by #6) thats also when we saw #1 scored up, the rings and piston are one. But now the water is coming out around the seals of the plugs and it if not starting. Compression test shows 2-5 with very good compression, #1 is the only victom. Is there something on the inside that i should be looking at more carefully?

Yea, i thought it would start too since all we did was change that exhaust baffle plate, but it wont fire up. Is there something that is supposed to assist the carbs in sucking in the fuel? what are these reeds that someone said that may need replacing and how do you know when the motor is done and its time to give up. It's not like a car motor where you find oil in the water or vise versa. just lookin for any way to save this thing. what is the cost range to have that #1 piston replaced? thanks for all the help.<br /><br />Ron

Clams Canino

Commander

Since 2-5 still have "very good compression", I'd bet it's savable. The reed blocks in that motor are on the crankshaft between the cylinder pairs. While they could be worn a bit with age, if it ran good before it popped a piston, it should run just as well after that piston is fixed.<br /><br />You have to practically flood those things to get them cold started. I assume your choke is working?<br />Either that or it was somehow mis-wired or something going back together after the exhaust plate was changed. Did the powerhead come off? Did you pump the primer ball real hard first?<br /><br />As for costs to repair. It costs about $150 a hole to have it bored and buy a new (aftermarket) piston. (Don't use Wiseco) The endcap seals are about $9 each and gaskets about $7 each. <br /><br />I'm not sure who all (if anyone) sells aftermarket Mercury parts on this board. I don't sell new aftermarket parts, but I can turn you on to the two places I get mine from if you email me. wa1mkh@comcast.net<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by ronald.a.silvers:<br />Yea, i thought it would start too since all we did was change that exhaust baffle plate, but it wont fire up. Is there something that is supposed to assist the carbs in sucking in the fuel? what are these reeds that someone said that may need replacing and how do you know when the motor is done and its time to give up. It's not like a car motor where you find oil in the water or vise versa. just lookin for any way to save this thing. what is the cost range to have that #1 piston replaced? thanks for all the help.<br /><br />Ron

thanks again for all the help. that $150.00, does that include piston and ring or just to have it bored out, also can i get away with just replacing piston and ring with out boring? also after it overheated it was very hard to start, i had to actually choke the third carb manually to get it to start, thats when i heard #1 knocking, but now it wont start at all. this is my 1st boat and it was on my 1st trip on the water after buying it that the water pump took a crap and it over heated. i didnt know what to look for (WATER COMING OUT PEE HOLE) when i was driving it. i just want to get some use out of my investment without going broke. thanks again.<br /><br />Ron

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Ronald<br /><br />Did you mean that water WAS still coming out of telltale when it overheated ? Do you have a pressure gauge ? That 1150 should deliver over 12 PSI water pressure at high revs.. My old Merc 50 has a pressure gauge and I watch it compulsivley.. It runs at about 8-9 PSI at 4500-5000. I let the better half drive the boat and occasionally put my hand in the stream. It is normally just warm to hot (No steam). I have a 6hp Aux.. ready for action and ANY change in my Pressure, Temp or flow .. Shut dowm time.

Ronald. I'm also new to Mercs but thought I'd just mention an American product called 'Devcon' from ITW Performance Polymers. FL. It's liquid steel of course but a very good product. I used it on our newly acquired 1976 Merc 50 to fix holes in the powerhead casing and also around one spark plug. We then blew a reed block and now we are part way thru a full rebuild!.<br /><br /> :cool: