1954 era outboards

Mildiver

Recruit
My grandfather just gave me two Johnson outboards. One is a Johnson Sea Horse 10 HP Model QD-15 (1954) Serial 1113852 and the other is a Johnson Sea Horse 3 HP Model JW-10 (1952-54) Serial 1023525. Can anyone tell me if they are worth fixing, selling or keeping? They are is great condition and have the original paint on them from top to bottom. Also, what are the mixture rates for these engines?

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1954 era outboards

Depends . . .

Almost absolutely not worth fixing and selling.

Almost absolutely worth fixing and using.

Unless they have major problems, you can rebuild the complete ignition system, water pump, and carb for <$150(each) and have a motor that will likely last 20 more years if taken care of.

Spend the money and do all that work and you'll probably net about $50-100 each. Skip the money and sell them as is and if they turn over, you'll easily make $50-100 each.

Jbo

Mildiver

Recruit

Thanks for the info on mixing and fixing. They both turn over and seems to be in good repair. The 3 HP is interesting in that it has a self contained gas tank. I think this will be the only problem, if the tank is bad. Any idea where I can buy the parts at. I'm in Virginia.

Jeff

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Laings Outboards or Sea Way.com in Seattle have used parts.

and those are both great engines. I'd love to have both :)

The real question is do you want to fix em up and get into the classic outboard world? Do you have tools? Are you mechanically inclined? If so, they're great engines to start on. Most parts are available and your grandpa would probably be proud!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those are two of the best outboard engines of all time, Mildiver, and because they came from your grandfather you owe it to your grandchildren to keep and treasure them.

There is a cult of JW lovers right here on iboats, so anything you need, from advice to parts locators. . .just ask.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with JB. besides they are good dependable motors, figure $200 each to refurbish and put in use.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The great thing is routine parts are available right here at iboats,brp dealers,and NAPA auto parts.And there are many more parts sources
for the more obscure parts.Simple to work on,smooth and reasonably quiet.
real gems.

Mildiver

Recruit

Appreciate all the encouraging words. I'm now excited about getting them going and putting them on the back of my boat. This has been great to know that there are guys out there willing to help and encourage. I'll be looking for advise from time to time, now that I know where to get it from.

Jeff

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You can find alot of parts on ebay. People part out these motors all of the time.
Check the in-tank fuel filter on the 3 hp. It may be gunked up. There are no new replacement filters for it, however there are workarounds.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

What, 10 posts already and no requests...... nay demands for pictures yet?! You guys are falling down on the job! :)

Seriously though, I've said this before and I'll say it again, these motors can be every bit as dependable and reliable as any new motor. The difference is that the owner is 100% responsible for that reliability. That means replacing anything questionable from the get go from the top of the recoil starter to the tip of the prop nut. Starter rope, recoil spring, coils, points, condensers, plug wires, plugs, Carb kit and float, fuel lines, fuel filter, water pump impeller, lower unit seals and shear/drive pin. Worst case scenario you can be into each one from $200 to $250. Still way cheaper than a new one!

In addition to the sites mentioned above there is North York marine for anything you might need for the cosmetic side of things as well as some normal maintenance items. Good luck and have fun!

And oh yeah, PICTURES!

Cheers..................Todd

wbeaton

Commander

Your 3 hp was built in 1953. I just had to add something. Also, the coils if original are shot. So is your impeller. As stated above, you probably are looking at $200 a piece in tune-up parts, but well worth it. You'll have invested about the same amount as they are worth so they have no real monetary value.

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just got done installing a new coil on my 1954 10 hp. same motor you have. recieved it from my uncle who is now passed and will keep this motor forever. its an excellent motor with lots of power, you may be suprised. simple to work on, very reliable and parts are still availible. keep it!

jbjennings

Captain

Alright,
By gosh I'll do it too! I Want Pictures!!!!! OF your 10 and 3, and hammerhandle's 10! I think the '54 10hp is one of the sharpest looking ever made. It's got the '53 leg and foot which is so pretty with the seahorse on it and the 4 bolt lower which is also nice and stout and looks good. The green cowl and gray stripe look nice, too. I got a chance to get a '54 the other day for 150 but couldn't. It's just killin' me:(:(:).
Later,
JBJ

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

KEEP THE ENGINES!!!!!! Baby them and Keep them clean! Reading this post gets me excited! I have collected about 5 vintage engines of my own, and the best one is the project on my bench now.

I have a three-generation family passing a motor down. The great grandfather bought a 1946, Johnson TD-20- passed it to the dad, who had it sitting in the family barn for 30+ years, and now he wants to restore it and give it to his son for Christmas. VERY COOL!! I have every bolt, screw, coil, nut apart, and cataloged, ready for the blaster-primer-enamel-clear coat. Fun, Fun:).

I'd like to upload a pic of it, but the pic is 2.7 in size and too big:(

~FB~

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

frustratedboater wrote;
"I'd like to upload a pic of it, but the pic is 2.7 in size and too big"

Get yourself a copy of infranview. Almost as powerful as photoshop but free and simple. It allows you to resize images and make changes to the jpeg compression to make the files smaller. In addition to a lot of other things.

Cheers.................Todd

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks so much for the info. Boy, you learn something everday!

~FB~

kbait

Commander

funny. I just got a '54 johnny running and am selling:

EDIT: No ads please

It's freakin' awesome!

I have personally bought and fixed/sold 20+ 3hp johnnyrudes from '52-67 (same basic thing). They are rockin', excellent, purrfect motors! Fix and sell for $$, or keep 'em like me. I have 4 3's, and many 5.5-15's. I love these things! Make 'em purr, and keep 'em for spares.... I have LOTS of spares! I just sell one occasionally for some beer $. And I can always get $300 for beer w/just one! They're that awesome. Someone's ALWAYS willing to pony up. Parts and wrenching are really easy. And fun and gratifying...

Last edited by a moderator:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Excellent. I do the same to support my hobby and to buy more fix'er uppers. I can usually get $400 if it has a fibreglass cowling (5.5's and 10's) as folks think they're a lot newer even though there'll still early 60's :)

T0M BAJ0REK

Cadet

I would certainly take the time to fix those old johnsons. The gas tank shouldnt be a problem, you can get it off of there. If its rusty I would make up a stick and rig something up like a shishkabob secure the tank to a stick really well. and use a drill motor to spin it a usually make up to saw horses w/ a hole for the stick. I use boiling hot water and arseco or another high potency cleaner maybe clr or something like that. I would put washers, pennies etc in there and youd be surprised how clean you can get it, and when youre done use a fuel filter in line. Also chances are critters have nested in the carb jets so although people think its overwhelming, were not talking about a four barrell quadrejet you have a very simple carb on a 10hp johnson, about as sophisticated as a brick w/ a hole drilled through it. just remember how the float was. you can buy a gallon of carb cleaner it has a dunk basket so i would let that set over nite and then use a scribe to clean any corrosion. Next youll have a kidney bean shaped hole to set your points. I would say to you, take the flywheel right off. Even if you have spark, those coils are (im willing to bet) like peeling chesnut. Thats usually the problem w/ those. I would replace them or if they look ok have them tested @ a parts store. I bet theyre not performing up to par. I would also get a tune up kit and replace points, condensor and wires. Make sure the fly wheel magnets are still strong, youll know when your screwdriver sticks to the flywheel. All the parts are readily available. At most youll have 60.00 invested. and right now w/ gas as high as it is people are taking them old outboards in for scrap. I have a deal w/ the scrapyard here. he buys them old outboards for 6 cents a lb!! I give him 20 to 30 bucks for them and have acquired about 15 in the last year, Theyre getting scarce and no ones boating on the Niag River here compared to 10 years ago when the river was full of boaters on the weekens, labor day weekend there was maybe 12 boats out there, there used to be 100s. Keep in mind too that everythings going 4 stroke, You wont be able to buy a new stroke, and people fishermen especially are already hunting for that old johnson or merc they had back in the 60s. Heres a motor I got for 10 bucks and sold for 250. I put 20 into it, i was able to find 2 coils NOS for 20 so I invested 20.00 sold for 250 check ebay item# 170256846412
Thats no johnson either. All the ignition parts are the same as your 10hp. Its the same carb and everything. I believe the 15hp is the same, and Johnson and evinrude parts are 9xout of 10 interchangeable. DO it!!! its worth the investment. for sure! If you decide you want to do it I would disconnect the fuel line and give the carb a quick shot of ether and see if it fires if not look @ the coils. But before you even pull it over i would tilt the motor up and squirt some oil in the cyl holes, if you dont you could break a piston ring, in that case you have parts, or more work and $ to invest than you want.
When you do get her running, use a barrel to be sure the water pumps working. I take lower unit off and w/ the motor on a stand adapt a hose that fits over the copper water line, and just barely crack the hose open i usually have someone pinch the hose off till it starts, Im always afraid of blowing a gasket up top. But yeah start w/ checking your spark, and cleaning that tank, Good luck and keep pulling your johnson!