I hate wearing glasses

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been doing so for years, never could stand the thought of using contact lenses, something about sticking in and removing stuff from my eyes, it somehow just don't sit well with me.

I have opted to do the lasik surgery thing, its going to be done next Friday week. There are members in my family that have had this procedure done many years ago and have not looked back not even once.

The weirdest thing though is my wife, always the darn comedian, said that she had this dream a few nights ago, where the ophthamologist is standing over me with my cordless drill in his hands, asking me "Do you feel lucky...punk." Just like Clint Eastwood did in Dirty Harry.

The only thing is, she ain't joking around.

Is that a bad omen or what?

I'm seriously thinking to call the whole thing off, i hate wearing glasses, and i get frustrated and irrate when i sometimes can't find the blessed things.

What do you folks think?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: I hate wearing glasses

Don't know your age, but I been wear 'specs' for over 40 years now... It got stale a long time ago!!!...

Let me know how the laser goes... I been thinkin' about it for a while too... Just a bit of a coward....

Chris..........

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Am fast approaching 49...................had lasik 5 years ago...................and have not looked back since.................just wondered why in the he11 I didn't do it sooner......:confused: Best of luck to you bootle................course I don't recall a cordless drill during the procedure................but like I said it was 5 years ago..............things change.......:p:p:D:D

winenut

Seaman

My husband had PRK eye surgery, only on one eye, back in 1999. We were living in South Florida at the time, and his surgery had been scheduled for a while. Suddenly a hurricane that was supposed to travel up along the gulf coast of FL changed track and went directly across, with the eye coming across our house in Jupiter...my husband still went through with the surgery, the doc told him they had emergency generators in case of power failure. :eek: Everything went fine, but dodging flying tree limbs and debris on the way home from the surgery was a little unnerving!

He needs to have the surgery again, apparently it doesn't last forever and his vision has slowly been going downhill the past few years.

Tyme2fish

Commander

One thing to consider in having Lasix is how well do want to see without using any glasses.

My procedure was to have my dominant eye for far distance and other eye for close up viewing. The brain automatically adjusts to this.
My sister had Lasix but then had to use reading glasses.
I've been glasses free since the surgery and love it!:D

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I know you dont like the whole thing in your eye deal but give contacts a try. I've worn them forever. You can wear the disposable ones for 2 weeks without changing...even sleep in them. You'll neve know they are there.

erikgreen

Captain

I had mine done about four years ago and I wish I hadn't waited so long.

I paid for the "high end" clinic to do it and it was worth it. I actually have 20/10 vision in both eyes now, and no secondary effects like halos or discomfort (I did for the first month or so, but after that...).

Once I had it done I even took up scuba diving.

Totally worth it. My advice: Don't look for the cheapest place, go to the place that's been doing it for the longest time and that keeps their equipment updated. I did the waveform mapping of each eye (computer map to determine thickness at each point on the eye) and then had computer controlled lasik to match the map, so it wasn't just "cut in a circle".

Your eye doc (one who specializes in screenings) can tell you how well or if the process will work for you, and about how well you'll see after. An honest doc will tell you he hopes you get the ability to spend your whole day without glasses, but that it probably won't be perfect.

But how much is it worth to ditch the glasses and contacts, and just use a small pair for reading now and then?

Erik

WizeOne

Commander

The bad news is that I have worn glasses since I was three years old. The good news is that I have to wear them all the time so I never have the problem of losing them or sitting on them, etc.

However it was not until I was 40 y/o that they finally made glasses that fit me well and comfortably. It was the advent of the very thin plastic lenses and the exorbantly expensive Ziess frames with clear silicone nose pads that a pair of glasses would fit and stay glued to the skinny bridge of my nose.

Prior to that, with glass lenses, they had a minimum thickness that any part of the lense had to conform to. That made my lenses very thick in the middle and very heavy. Combine that with plastic frames that they never made the bridge narrow enough on and I spent 37 miserable years wearing glasses. Now I do not give them a second thought.

All that being said, all youze guys getting lasic surgery must be nearsighted. I am farsighted and as such not a candidate for that proceedure. Truth of the matter is, I don't even know how I would react if I did not have glasses to put on.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I don't care what people think of my looks due to me wearing glasses. Worn them since 1961. I like the fact that I can pick up a power tool and not worry so much about getting anything in my eye. My glasses has saved my eyesight many times on the job. That is one area of my senses that I depend on to make my living. Besides, those that know me that with my luck, something would happen during the surgery. However, with my eyesight condition, the surgery is not available.

I have a couple of friends that had it done a long while ago. Now thier eyesight is back as it once was and plan to do the surgery thing again.......SS

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm 46 yrs old and have been wearing glasses since i was 19.
My distance vision is excellent in both eyes, the right is slightly better than the left, therefore i've elected to have the left eye done for close up vision.

The cost is $1500.00 per eye, i have already done all of the measurement testing and so forth, i have to use an eyedrop called Muro 128*5% four times daily until the day of the surgery, then there is another one that i had to get called Zymar, i don't get to use that one until after the surgery, they told me i need to walk with it and have it with me prior the procedure.

I hope that it works out like T2F's did and i don't ever have to revert back to glasses.

ezbtr

Commander

Id love to do that - my right eye stinks, but left eye ok, maybe just the right then?? Although what was said about glasses at work being safe is true.

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had 20/20 vision the first 50 years of my life
As soon as I turned 50 my eyesight and most everything else started going downhill
Now I'm 55, I still haven't been to the eye Dr
I can't stand wearing glasses
Maybe next year
Nahhhh

Tyme2fish

Commander

I had 20/20 vision the first 50 years of my life
As soon as I turned 50 my eyesight and most everything else started going downhill
Now I'm 55, I still haven't been to the eye Dr
I can't stand wearing glasses
Maybe next year
Nahhhh

Please,make an appointment. Glaucoma is an incidious disease that is very treatable if caught early. Please,please see your eye doctor. Not saying you have glaucoma but you should be checked.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've worn glasses since college 40 years ago. Thought about the surgery thing, but after hearing only one story from a friend whose daughter had it done and has had problems ever since, well, nah. The glasses don't bother me that much and, besides, at my age I don't have that many hot dates.

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

My sister had the procedure done 2 times. The reason was scarring. I'm having problems now with my new glasses and i go back to my old ones because i see better. going Sat. for my 3rd time to the eye doctors. He's using a new fangled computer controlled machine that is extreamly inpersonal. Also his pace of doing examinations has doubled.
I have thought about having my eyes done but like others have mentioned i need eye protection at my job and basicly all the time until i hit the sack.
I did use contacts for a while and they were great at times, ok most of the time and terrible once in a while. I developed bell's palsy while using contacts. not sure if they had anything to do with it or not but i was gun shy to try them again. i was very lucky and had strong treatment with antibiotics and electric stimulation.
My only advise to you is make sure you want this. no procedure is perfect for everyone. You only have one pair of eyes. I've been wearing glasses since i was 12. you can change a pair of glasses but trying to redo an eyeball only goes so far.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My wife is the office manager for the leading laser surgeon in this area, matbe the country. He has many U.S. customers coming across the border for his services. She had her eyes "fixed" over 15 years ago with the one for distance, one for reading method and has never looked back.
Me, I had 20/20 vision till last summer and now wear the mildest prescription reading glasses but only in poorer light conditions. My wife tells me that with the condition I have laser surgery is not an option at this point, even though I would get it for free being the husband of an employee. Down the road maybe. In the meantime I will continue to lose my reading glasses on a regular basis !!!!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

......I like the fact that I can pick up a power tool and not worry so much about getting anything in my eye. My glasses has saved my eyesight many times on the job. That is one area of my senses that I depend on to make my living....
I feel the exact same way. I can go to the gun range, and not have to carry supplemental safety glasses. I can work in the shop without having to put stuff on, because I know I won't ('cept when cutting aluminum with the table saw or chop saw, or when using the angle grinder - with those come the full face shield). They have saved me from stray fish hooks as well. 'Bout the only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they push up against your face when going over 40 in a bass boat.

jbjennings

Captain

I got my glasses when I was about 22 or 23 and I'm 35 now. I like my glasses because as others said, they protect my eyes somewhat and also help cover up my ugly monstrous nose. I can't stand the thought of jabbing plastic into my eyes. My glasses, like others said, have saved me more than once. However, I hate getting new glasses every 3 or 4 years because I dropped them into a lake, broke them, or got them scratched up. I've never checked into the lasik because I'm scared of it and it's so expensive. Myself, I like my glasses and especially like my newest ones since they have that "transitions" tint that gets dark outside in the sun but are clear at night.
Good luck with your lasik, though. It would be awesome to have 20/10 vision!
jbj

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

.......However, I hate getting new glasses every 3 or 4 years because I dropped them into a lake, broke them, or got them scratched up...... ...... Myself, I like my glasses and especially like my newest ones since they have that "transitions" tint that gets dark outside in the sun but are clear at night......
As far as dropping them in the lake, I wear a strap on them all the time, not just on the water. It is one from Ingles that has the cinch down thing that keeps it from sliding off your head, as opposed to the ones that keep them on your neck if you do drop them.

As far as the transitions, my dad has them and a) the car window tinting doesn't allow them to work, and b) after a few years, they stop working anyway. We both have a pair of Cocoons clip ons (didn't like the second earpiece) and use them constantly.