Transom Question

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought this 48 year old boat knowing I was going to have to replace the transom and the floor. There are a couple of quarter sized soft spots on the inside of the transom. My question is: should I use the boat for the rest of the season? The previous owner used it regularly for the last 2 summers and he was pulling people on intertubes. The transom doesn't move when pressure is applied and there are no cracks in the outer glass. I took it out last night and it performed flawlessly. I want to fish the rest of this season, then start working on it this winter. It's a 14' boat with a 50 hp motor. After reading some of the posts about transom failure, I'm a little concerned about losing my motor in the middle of the lake. Are transom failures very common?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom Question

you are the only one who can see it, and make the decision. lock the motor in the up postion, grab the skeg, and shake hell out of it. like you want to tear it off, up and down. what the transom for movement. nice find!!!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

If you are worried about it then go with safety and fix it.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If you are worried about it then go with safety and fix it.

I would never argue with that advice, it is too sound; but based on my recent experience, sudden catastrophic transom failure is almost guaranteed to be preceded by a lengthy period of neglect and inattention. I am still embarassed, and surprised, by the condition that I allowed my transom to reach.....and it did not fail, fortunately.
If you are actually monitoring your transom condition you are probably ahead of the curve and should be able to make a reasonable assessment and sensible decision.
You might consider a "biopsy" of the two suspect areas to gauge whether it is a spot problem or wider spread.

Attachments

• Clipper 002.jpg
    Clipper 002.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Clipper 003.jpg
    Clipper 003.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

buy some marine tex, then drill use a 1/4 inch drill bit, and drill a couple of hole for inside, but not all the way thru, if the wood is wet, it will look like mush. clean and dry, saw dust. if good and dry, fill hole with marine tex.

DutchMerc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you 'll only take the boat out for fishing, and there are no cracks in the transom, i wouldn't be too worried. Go easy on your boat this season, don't pull any tubes or ski's, and avoid big waves. I also have a bad transom and floor, and i am planning to repair it this winter. As long as the weather is fine, i am not taking my boat apart and stay home... It has been like this for several years, and i am confident that it will last one more season, as long as i go easy on her...:cool:

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Try to break it.
With the motor up, stand on the cavitation plate and bounce up and down.
See how much the transom moves. If you don't see it flex or can't tell if it's flexing....Just keep an eye on it and work on it later.

If you see it flex, repair it sooner than later.
If it breaks....Arntcha glad your on dry land?