1961 14' runabout

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1961 14' runabout

Thanks for stoppin in Nico.
My pleasure!

I always do:D

I know I don't have many tips in my bag of knowledge, but I always try to give some encouragement:) I too enjoy watching your progress.

Cheers mate!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

So I decided I was going to read through some projects of some guys that have made comments on other posts and felt I could get to know them through their project and see what they got going on or are up against...

Hey, I'm 700 miles from home and MY project...:mad: and won't be home till Friday night..

With that being said...What a blast I had reading this entire thread..Ya done good bro!

I was there with ya, zero prior experience....Not a lot of cash to throw at the project..Just paying bills, feeding the family..all that stuff that come first...

You've done a helluva job thus far...My only real question is...

Did your neighbor ever come by to see what the freakin NOISE and racket is over there with all that grinding and banging??!!??:D

I pictured him yelling at ya to hold it down, and why ya tearing his perfectly good repair work apart??!! lol...

Here's to seeing pics on your float day, I'm pulling for ya..

CBK

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANKS :) , yours should come out great also cause your doing a great job already in your thread.

I used a foam roller & foam brush. Also used a bristle brush for the nooks & crannies and the parts you wont see and smoothed it out with the foam brush (bristle was leaving brush strokes)

But I gotta give some credit to my 10yr daughter also, she's the one that painted in all the nooks & crannies and the parts you wont see.

I also changed out most of the rusted bolts with new ones & that really made it look a whole lot better. Now all I have to do is take off the 8" tires and throw on some 12", the fenders have enough clearnce for even larger but 12' will do.
BTW I was surprised to find that Bass Pro Shop had the cheapest price on trailer light kits w/ side markers ($26.99), everywhere I went, I was looking at $36 - $49 bux and that wasn't even for LED, just regular bulbs.

Hey that's cool! What kind of paint did you use? I was thinking maybe using something lik Rustoleum? I didn't really check into it yet. Hopefully getting my trailer off to a welder soon...maybe this wknd to get it fixd and sandblasted. I got new wheels for mine too. I think they're 12" galvanized. O yeah and cool deal with your bow light solution! Nice to see gyz that are ready to help out!!

As always...GUD LUCK!!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

That's a really sweet little project you have going. I really enjoyed reading your thread and I'm really inspired. I'm hoping my project progresses as nicely as yours.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration. Like everyone else, I am really looking forward to seeing updates. :D

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Hey that's cool! What kind of paint did you use? I was thinking maybe using something lik Rustoleum? I didn't really check into it yet. Hopefully getting my trailer off to a welder soon...maybe this wknd to get it fixd and sandblasted. I got new wheels for mine too. I think they're 12" galvanized. O yeah and cool deal with your bow light solution! Nice to see gyz that are ready to help out!!

As always...GUD LUCK!!

I used Rustoleum Primer for heavily rusted metals & Royal blue Rustoleum Professional for the trailer.

69Starcraft really helped out, got the bow lights and the speedo yesterday and they look great!

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Bump. Hey any new updates? Been a little while....

That's a really sweet little project you have going. I really enjoyed reading your thread and I'm really inspired. I'm hoping my project progresses as nicely as yours.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration. Like everyone else, I am really looking forward to seeing updates. :D
No updates to post besides I finally got to paint the hull yesterday.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Update: Boy, bugs sure like wet paint :mad: those little pests just kept flying in it but I'm very happy with the paint job overall. I used the roll & tip method on the first coat, and on the second coat I just used the roller. The bubbles did not appear in the second coat like they did in the first, so the second went a lot faster.

I had to tone the pic down due to the glare.

8954.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good . I picked up all my paint today and of course its raining . I am almost willing to clear out the garage and get the boat inside :D

Rick

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good . I picked up all my paint today and of course its raining . I am almost willing to clear out the garage and get the boat inside :D

Rick
If I has a garage I would have been had the paint on it. Had to wait 3 weeks for clear skys.
I'm happy with how glossy it turned out:cool:

cribber

Lieutenant

That's going to be a sharp gurl when you get her finished!!! Ran across your project catching up on Oops' antics. Love the classic lines of her in your signature pic.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

That's going to be a sharp gurl when you get her finished!!! Ran across your project catching up on Oops' antics. Love the classic lines of her in your signature pic.
Thanks Cribber, I'm trying to keep the old school look as much as possible. But I'd stick a 2009 70hp on the back in a minute if I had one :D

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I want to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to 69Starcraft for the old school bow light :cool:
8955.jpg

jumboshrimp

Cadet

Terrific thread, very informative and great pics lets get er done and get er wet!!! Good work KIR

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Terrific thread, very informative and great pics lets get er done and get er wet!!! Good work KIR
Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm trying to get this project in the completed section but it's gonna take me sometime, I'm lazy :redface:

It will indeed be a glorious day when she jumps up on plane.:cool:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

fan freekin tastic bro!

I hear ya on the Glorious day..I fall asleep (some nights) picturing that event..I just dont tell Diane that the Hawaiin Tropic bikini girls are aboard:D

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the Big Shout out :D

I hope the lights work out for you

You'll like the speedo even more when you get it hooked up

My boat is now for sale and I have already started my next project :eek:

Dave

BTW, it is NOT always a glorious thing to be "finished" and "on plane"

Once the boat is done, then you reach the "let me worry about EVERY LITTLE THING" while I am out on the water stage.

1. Will the motor start
2. Will the motor quit and leave me stranded
3. Will it leak
4. Did I make the transom/stringers/etc strong enough
5. When I hit a big wave will the boat just crack in half
6. How much longer before it sinks

This is what I always have on my mind EVERY TIME I go out, EVERY TIME I finish a restoration LOL

I much prefer drinking beer and working on it in the yard. Running the motor in a barrel and listening to the radio...its much safer :cool:

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the Big Shout out :D

I hope the lights work out for you

You'll like the speedo even more when you get it hooked up

My boat is now for sale and I have already started my next project :eek:

Dave

BTW, it is NOT always a glorious thing to be "finished" and "on plane"

Once the boat is done, then you reach the "let me worry about EVERY LITTLE THING" while I am out on the water stage.

1. Will the motor start
2. Will the motor quit and leave me stranded
3. Will it leak
4. Did I make the transom/stringers/etc strong enough
5. When I hit a big wave will the boat just crack in half
6. How much longer before it sinks

This is what I always have on my mind EVERY TIME I go out, EVERY TIME I finish a restoration LOL

I much prefer drinking beer and working on it in the yard. Running the motor in a barrel and listening to the radio...its much safer :cool:

I think about those things NOW, so I guess those thoughts will intensify once I reach the ramp :eek:. But hey victory will be glorious & If not I will die with honer like a true Klingon Warrior :D

As for your last statement, I prefer drinking beer on the water & listening to the radio while fishing :cool:

manaze

Recruit

We have a Mark Twain Vsonic. I was last registered 01. This Boat does not have HIN number. The letters on the bow go CF 6585 HV. So if what you say is true the boat was build in 1985? Also the model # 18 I/O 1-6-9 I think 18 is for feet I/O inboard outboard. But can you tell what 1-6-9 is? This boat was giving to us with no information or paper work. I do know that the company that built this boat went out of service in the late 80,s to 90.My question can I take the numbers that are on the registration sticker on the side of the boat to the DMV for infomation on year ECT?