you think it cant happen to you? it can and it will

well.....

i did the unthinkable yesterday. took the kids out to tube,

got the cooler-check
got the gas full-check
got the tube-check
got the bridal-check blah blah blah,

ok here we go, back it in honey, kids stay on the dock. ok hold her there. boat floats off like peanut butter and jelly, wife pulls out, good to go, hey wait, why does the boat look so low in the back, holy S@#t why is there water in the rear, sky dive off the dock, move a tank of fuel, shove my biggest finger in the hole (the humiliation slowly starts to build ) knowing there are 2 jet skiers and 1 boat waiting in line, I look up at the kids and tell the oldest, run over to the docking building and tell them to give you a plug and i will be there to pay him when i get this figured out...she takes off like Jesse Owens.

I feverishly am looking for my plug blindly in 5 inches of water. Here comes the wife, "whats wrong" i look up at her, "um theres a small leak" "really" she says, i go "yea, you see the water in the boat and the anger on my face because i forgot the plug" she says" why did you do that" , now for all you boys out there who are married, Know this scenerio, for the ones who are not married and maybe one day will be, pay attention, this is a crucial point in your relationship... your either going to NOT say another word and eat it, OR your going to become the biggest smart Arse on earth,

God Bless her i whispered. I say, honey "please go get the truck and back her back in" she exclaims "why" i tell her that i have to pull the boat out and drain the rear " she gets this inconvience look on her face but starts walking after looking at the expression on MY face.

at this time the daughter has made it to the launch house, im thinking ok no one here knows what an idiot i am and i can get awy with the humilation factor with just the kids and better half, i do that all the time right? Well just then the guy running the launch house and boat shop yells, "WHAT SIZE PLUG YOU NEED" oh yea thats what i needed, I yell" JUST GIVE HER TWO SIZES AND ILL BRING THE ONE I DONT USE BACK" now i look at people in line, do the courtesy "im sorry" the wife pulls down the landing , i get the plug in, get the boat on the trailer , pull out drain the boat all is good.

We wait patiently in line again for the ones who are doing it right, listen to the better half give her expert advice on boating..and put it in the water, start er up, had a blast for 5 hours on the lake kids where plum tuckered out, good day.

we are in the boat sitting on the beach having a beverage and i look at the wife and say" you want a ride on the tube" she says "no thanks you might sink that too"

God Bless Her......................thats all i could say

Moral of the story: Im a huge check list guy and have read so many horror stories here and told my self NEVER , HAHAHAHAHAHA yea ok........dont think for a minute that it cant happen to you, with everything going through your mind at home before the trip, during launching with people waiting on you, the kids screaming and yelling and your mentally are going over every safety item in your head, If it can happen, IT WILL happen

happy boating all...............

FM

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: you think it cant happen to you? it can and it will

Great story.... Don't you just love the support you get when you pull a Homer?

At least you'll never forget again. I haven't done this myself, YET! but I have a feeling my time is coming.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

LOL - yup, its embarassing. I have forgotten to put the plug in but have never been unable to find it at that particular moment. But, because I know I am sometimes forgetful, there are a couple of spares thrown into the splashwell of my boat!

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every boater will forget the plug once in his or her life time. It's just fate.

At least you didn't panic and did what you could given the situation.

well i read on these forums of someone who attached there plug to a rubber line, i think i will implement this and for another 12 bucks i can buy 3 or 4 more spare plugs to throw in the well.

talking about support when you pull a homer?, the wife calls me in the office today to let me know her mother said she would buy me some spare plugs and if i need help next tim eto just call her...

GOD BLESS HER!!!

i asked my mother in law if she would like to go boating this weekend.. ;)

FM

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i love the part when she said "why did you do that" like you where trying to sink your boat.

my wife never asked why, i think she was to worried about sinking cause we were already underway.
and the guy yelling "what size plug you need"....lmao.
i dont know if he was trying to poke at you or didnt think it was a big deal, but you know he could have sent a variety of plugs without announcing it to everyone.

i know from my almost sinking experience i will never forget the plug again (i hope) and i bet you dont either.

that was a great story lmao :D

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A little different plug problem.
When I got my first boat, (1977) I did forget to put the plug in, not once, mind you but twice! Slow on the uptake,:redface:
I now always keep the plug in the splashwell.

Never had another plug problem, until 1997.
Different Wife, different boat! 2nd. time out!

Wife, Daughter, and myself head about 2hrs north, to a REMOTE, BACK country lake to do some Walleye fishing.I had to work late on the Fri. we were to leave, I had packed tent and such into truck canopy Thurs. night, W&D were going to have boat packed, Coolers, rods and such, all I had to do when i got home was to hook up, secure and away we go. We arrive while the sun is going down, unload canopy, set up tent, table,chairs,cots,build fire---- You know the usual weekend outing.
Next morning get up, camp breakfast, coffee, watch sun rise----BEAUTIFUL!!

Pull boat down to launch, back-up, disconnect lights, I always start closest to the truck, move to winch, attach rope to Bow -eye, go to stern, disconnect tie-downs, reach into splash-well for plug:eek: NO plug!

Plug is always there, was there 2 weeks before when we did maiden launch, was there when I hosed boat out, was there Thurs. night!

HONEY, did you see a funny looking Brass and rubber thingy in the back of the boat?:(
"Yes dear, I saw it there when we were packing the boat, it was just rolling around, so I put it in the Kitchen Junk Drawer.":eek::eek::eek:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

well.....

we are in the boat sitting on the beach having a beverage and i look at the wife and say" you want a ride on the tube" she says "no thanks you might sink that too"

God Bless Her......................thats all i could say

FM

but you have to admit she must be a keeper with wit like that. :D

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I keep the plug in the splashwell, keep an extra in the glove box (just in case), I've given the extra plug away twice, to people at the ramp that forgot theirs. It seems like a small price to help someone have a fun day, I just pick up a new one next time I go to the store. Of all the extra things to have onboard I think an extra plug should be at the top of the list.

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After forgetting to put the pug in once when I was by my self and almost sinking the boat. I now have put a small clip on the end of the plug so when it?s not in use I clip it on the tie down strap. This way I always see it when I remove the strap at the ramp during launching. But just to be on the safe side I also keep an extra one in the truck and one in the toolbox on the boat.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have plugs all over the place. On the boat key ring, in the boat cubby, on the lanyard, in the boat tool box, the on I put in (hopefully) before launch is in the motor well and one in the glovebox of the car and my car toolbox.
I may well be overdoing it but when I get my turn at forgetting there should be plenty at hand.

Splat

Lieutenant

I've not done it yet..........

However I've heard of many people clipping their plugs to the bow strap with a carabiner. Seems like a good place to me.

Bill

watermellon1

Seaman Apprentice

I hve done it too, but I prefer to call it a bilge pump test, as I was backin her in the bilge pump went off and started sprayin water, worked well too, took a second or two for me to figure out why.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

My recent issue was due to the "I thought that you had it" with my wife. "You do have the key to the boat, don't you?" as I am backing into the water.

cribber

Lieutenant

Haven't done that yet... I keep mine in the key float when it's out. I'm gonna get a few more to tuck up in various places, I've been lucky so far, but I know my time is coming. Thanx for the heads up!!!

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that is a good story well told. Thanks for sharing.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I know I have three plugs but after reading this thread I realixe that I hevn't seen the other two in a while. I'd better find em. BTW, hillarious narrative. I like the "you'd probably sink that too." Sounds like mine.

cmchesse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I bought my boat the plug was attached to a small piece or rope. The only way to misplace the plug was to untie it. So Far I have kept it that way. Of course, I have 3 extra on board. One of the first threads I read was forgetting the plug. So i stocked up!

chiefalen

Captain

I never leave my driveway with the boat without the plug in. When i pull the boat after the day is done i pull the plug.

ench35

Cadet

It happened to me about forty years ago with our first boat on it's maiden voyage and I can Guarantee that when not IF but when it happens to you there will be a very large number of people there to witness it, that your wife and kids will never ever even on your best day let you live it down.

ench35