Evenrude

stoneagent

Cadet
Testing 70 HP motor. Started engine with water hose hooked up to it. All indications of cooling. After a few minutes of running I heard an alarm go off at the console so I turned off the power. I went back to the motor and looked around, checked anything that I thought was the problem. I let the motor sit for awhile. When I tried to start it again, it clunked like the battery was low. I went back to the motor and when I tried to turn the flywheel it would only go one revelution and strike something. I turned it back the opposite direction and the same thing occured.

I will add that when I started the motor, it sounded as if it wasn't producing full power. I reved up the motor to see if the sound would change. After a few second of higher RPM is when I saw the water not coming out of the hole from the housing of the motor. Then is when the alarm went off.

Does anyone know why after turning off the motor it now has something preventing it from working.

Dennis

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evenrude

it may be seized from running hot. remove the spark plug, now take your hands and turn the flywheel. if it won't turn, drop the lower unit, and try again. the reason for this, is to see if it is the power head that is the problem, or the lower unit.

stoneagent

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to take so long in responding but work is work. The engine will turn 359 degrees and then stops. You can turn it the other waqy 359 degrees and it stops. Its a hard stop so I don't think it is seized from the heat.

It's strange that all I did was turn of the motor and it sat there. Now will not make a full 360 degrees.

Dennis

stoneagent

Cadet

Thanks for reply. You can turn the engine 359 degrees and it stops dead/hard. Turn it back the other way 359 degrees and it does the same stopping point. Will not make a 360 spin.

It's strange that all I did was turn off the motor and it sat there.