deWAX question... [keep going or U-turn???]

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay... so this site has got my geeked-out and ready to add a little color above the water line on our boat.

I am using Interlux's pre-coat primer & then brightside for the finish... I sanded the hull with 120 and knocked down the chalk, removed all decals and stripes, and filled all voids with watertight filler...

Tonight i read a bit more and learn that DEWAXING should have been done before I sanded....

My question is: How important is dewaxing on a virgin 1990 boat that has not been washed or waxed in years? Knowing that I already sanded with 120 - where do I go from here...? Roll on with the primer -or- stop and try to enter a dewax application:confused:...?

Attachments

• day_1.jpg
    day_1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0

tcindie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: deWAX question... [keep going or U-turn???]

If you've already sanded it it seems to me any wax that may have been there would have been sanded off already.. but I'm too much of a noob to give you advice. ;)

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with that, but lets see if we can get a few more humble opinions...

drewpster

Commander

I am sure you are fine. Especially if the gelcoat was chalky when you started.

Dewaxing is necessary on newer boats and added insurance on ones not previously painted. It might be a good idea to do a good wipe down with Interlux 202 if you have not yet primed the boat. Do not do it if have already primed as 202 will damage your prime coat. If you have already primed get some clean rags and do a thorough wipe down with 333 or 216. Use a clean rag to wipe on the thinner (333 or 216) and wipe it off while it is still wet using a second clean rag. Do this before and after you sand the primer. It may seem unnecessary at this point but Interlux recommends 333 to remove sanding residue anyway.

Sidenote: Dewaxing is needed to remove tooling wax used by the manufacturer during fiberglass layup. Sanding the surface will not remove the wax. In fact, sanding can drive the wax further into the surface making it harder to remove.

But, like I wrote before, your boat is old enough, you should be fine. Dewaxing, and good thorough cleaning using solvents through the whole process, is always a good idea.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Wax from the building of the boat doesn't last very long after the boat has put in use and neither do most other waxes designed to protect the surface. But you never know what it's been exposed to while in the water (scum and oil), driving down the road, (more oil and diesel exhuast) and then when you're working on it (silicone spray, WD40, dirty hands, wheel bearing grease, etc), these are more common contaminates. Just go to the automotive paint store and get solvent designed for washing the surface before painting and you'll be fine.

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys!!! I went ahead a bought a dewaxing agent and used it to wipe down the boat and then came back and wiped away the agent and final chalk, dust, ect... I applied the primers 1st coat today....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well.....gosh durn.......

wheres the pics? :D

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

xylene (xylol) works great as a dewaxing agent... bout 15-20 at your local nmage hardware store...

in any type of paint work, adhesion and quality of the paint job are a direct result of how well the surface is prepped - especially how clean it is! Always worth while to be anal about cleaning and recleaning before painting anything you intend to last...

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

xylene (xylol) works great as a dewaxing agent... bout 15-20 at your local nmage hardware store...

in any type of paint work, adhesion and quality of the paint job are a direct result of how well the surface is prepped - especially how clean it is! Always worth while to be anal about cleaning and recleaning before painting anything you intend to last...

Bingo.....Try prepping a hull for about 30 hour's...it is as smooth as a baby's behind.... Youv'e missed a few dinner's....mabe a great show...what ever...and when you apply your first coat you get 15-20 tiny pinholes .....all because you did not wipe it down with a extremely strong solvent....and Xylene is just that...Been there done that already

Stickly a opinion...Nope A fact.....:D.........Acetone DOES NOT GET IT.