two motors one choice

• 1963 40 hp Lark V electric start gen

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • 1958 35 hp Big Twin electric start no gen

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

freddyray21

Commander
I have a 1958 Evinrude Big Twin picked up from the estate of the original owner and a 1963 Evinrude 40 Lark V electric shift. The 40 runs good and has recently pulled my wife out on ski's. I am sure the Big Twin will need a bit of work, but probably not much. It is missing the wiring harness and starter box, but those can be found if I want to spend the money. Given the two motors run on the boat in the link. (neither motor is in the link pics) which would you keep and why. Keep in mind I know the 40 will pull my wife on ski's don't know about the 35. I think the 40 has more torque. It has more than the 57 Javelin that is shown on the boat.

http://www.sandeace.com/original/Droney.html

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: two motors one choice

actually i would use the 40 and store the 35, when the lower unit shift goes in the 40 you have a back up motor. i can tell you how to wire the 35 with out finding the harness.

freddyray21

Commander

wiring the 35 is not an issue as I can do that. I prefer the harness and box it makes it real neat. I will only keep one of the motors. I don't tend to just store them.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Well, from a strictly practical standpoint the '63 40hp would win hands down. But for me boating is not always about the practical. Personally the styling of the '59 and later OMCs do nothing for me. Booooooring! What does the '58 look like? Is it like the '57 Evinrude? Or more like the '59?

If it were me I'd get rid of both of them and stick with the Javelin! Wood boats were invented to look good with a golden Javelin on the back!

Bottom line, none of the above! stick with the Javelin!

Cheers....................Todd

wbeaton

Commander

Yes, practically speaking the Lark is the clear winner. However, the 1958 is so much nicer looking and would match the style of the boat better. Nice boat, by the way. The generator is an awfully nice option, though. You've got a tough decision. I'd still go with the 35 hp, but I'd see if the flywheel and generator would work on the 35 hp.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The 58 Big twin looks like the 57, metal cowl where the port side flips up to access half of the engine. In 58 Larks got the one piece fiberglass engine cowl. My dad had a 57 35 Big Twin and a 63 40 Johnson Electrimatic. The 40 was a much nicer motor, the johnson 40s and small v4s looked alot better then the equivalent Erudes; Auto choke, overheat light, Electric shift, which by the way, never ever gave any trouble, also, key switch to stop engine made it a lot nicer than the Big Twin. Much quieter too.

jbjennings

Captain

I agree with Wayne. THe 40 is the better motor, but butt ugly. Generator is nice. IF it's electric shift, I wouldn't want it because I don't know how to work on it and hear a couple of parts are expensive or hard to come by, but I know you already know that, FreddyRay. If you're going to use it and don't mind the looks, definitely go with the 40. If the '58 has a metal cowl, it's probably a good bit noisier as said. Myself, the generator is sure nice to have but if you're trailering it, I don't see it as a big deal. Just plug your battery into one of those "maintenance" chargers that you can get for cheap. How about some pics of both, Fred? I LIKE PICS!
I will say this, I had a '69 johnson 40 with a generator and e-start and such, and it had electric shift and it sure shifted flawlessly. But I had to get it worked on, too! ANd it was HIGH! Definitely the smoothest shifting motor I ever had, though.
Later,
JBJ

freddyray21

Commander

this is an old post and don't know how it got revived. I like the looks of the 40 and kept it. The 35 I sold to a collector. It was too pretty to run. Got it from the original owner's son. His Dad had just passed away. He had always taken the motor off the boat and stored it in the house. Paint was nearly flawless. A new set of coils and it fired up and ran.