Who builds the BEST outboard ??

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this could easily turn into a Ford - VS - Chevy kinda argument but lets not base this on brand loyalty and all that.
Basically, I'd love to h ear from some marine tech's, the guys who work on them all the time and I'd like to know why you feel one particular motor is better than another.

I've heard: (and most of this is probably not true)
Honda's are the most technically advanced but best made,longest lasting.
Suzuki's blocks have thicker sleeves and therefore last longer.
Nissan Marine is used on alot of commercial boats because they're basically bullet-proof.
Yamaha is the best selling because they're the best overall and everyone is trying to catch up.
Evinrudes are the last of the prehistoric 2-strokes, are noisy, will be outlawed soon and parts cost 3x more than Yamaha parts.
Mercury is decent overall but maintenance and repair access is a nightmare and shop bills can get costly quickly because of repair difficulty.
4-strokes don't last as long as 2-strokes, have more moving parts, more to break, require more maintenance, and overall cost more, weigh more, and provide less performance.

So...no matter what marina I go to, I hear all kinds of bashing about all kinds of outboards.

So...overall, who builds a reliable, easy to maintain, easy to repair, built-like-a-tank outboard ??

beets442

Cadet
Re: Who builds the BEST outboard ??

Hello, I was watching TV with my dad (1988). We were watching a program about the Amazon. A doctor had to travel 24mi. a day to get to areas to treat people. The boat he was using a small jon boat with a Suzuki 9.9. My dad said there wasn't any suzuki dealers along the Amazon to fix break downs. So we figured it had to be a good motor. In 1990 I purchased that 9.9hp-2-stroke and a Lowe's 12ft. I still have that boat and motor and it's a 1 pull start. I take it to the local dealer every other year for regular check up. Clean carb and change water pump is all I've ever had to do. I've never had any problems with it. It's the best engine I own. I keep a small peice of wire for the water outlet just in case it clogs. I had an Evinrude for 3 months before this engine. It locked up cause the water pump stopped. $1700 gone. The pump wasn't under their warranty. My friend purchased a (2004)Merc. 15hp-4stroke for his jon boat and he has to pull few times to get it started, but once it's running it runs good. I think he needs a better starting proceedure. If you have the money I would go with Honda or Suzuki. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck Beets

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Without going too far out on a limb, I can say that you hear very little about problems with a Honda. And many, many of those are going thousands of hours. So that kind of shoots down the 4 stroke longevity issue some. I also never hear of anyone badmouthing/bashing them either, so that to me says alot. I own an older 90's Evinrude and a newer 4 stroke Merc. Both have been fine engines, as I'm sure the other brands are too...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before one can answer the question, one needs to dispell some of the things you've heard. Otherwise this is indeed a Ford vs Chevy discussion. You said you heard that "Evinrudes are the last of the prehistoric 2-strokes, are noisy, will be outlawed soon and parts cost 3x more than Yamaha parts." That is false. Evinrude E-tecs are far more technologically advanced than even the Honda. They are not being outlawed. In fact they are as clean or cleaner than many of the four strokes, as quiet and depending on how you make the comparison, as economical. It is carbureted two strokes that are being outlawed in some areas. So you really need to be a little more objective in your comparisons. Most new engines are very reliable, all things being equal provide the same or nearly the same economy, and perform equally well. Sound is a rather different situation. Most will contend a four stroke is quieter than say an E-tec. Sound measurements at wide open throttle are very close but two strokes and four strokes make a different sound so what you may think is louder, is merely different. The best bang for the buck in the four stroke category in my view lies with Suzuki. Very reliable. For my personal best choice overall it would be E-tec.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

popcorn1.gif

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

I smell a troll...

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

honda is definitely the best motor for any motor below 40 HP. its a very good, well built engine. i have a 10 hp on the back of my boat now. however, i do believe that if your looking to be fishing, and want something over a 40 HP, a evinrude e-tech is the way to go.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

honda is definitely the best motor for any motor below 40 HP. its a very good, well built engine. i have a 10 hp on the back of my boat now. however, i do believe that if your looking to be fishing, and want something over a 40 HP, a evinrude e-tech is the way to go.

False statement. They may run well, but they are way to heavy (in the kicker category). Sure if weight is a meaningless factor to you, they may be great, but like I said, they're too heavy for that purpose.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you will get a different answer from each person you ask. all the main line motors are good motors. the owners of the bad ones are usually bad owners.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

JD Powers says it is a Yamaha, they poll actual owners of current motors and Yamaha has won it for the last 3 years I believe.

When we started Bennington 11 years ago almost all the boats we sold had Mercs, now 70% are Honda and Yamaha with the other brands splitting the last 30%.

This is like the Harley-Honda debate, there is no "right" answer and as stated there really are no bad motors.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I knew there was going to be some controversy and that wasn't my objective.
The statements I posted earlier were things I had heard at my local ramps and marina's. I can't get honest answers from the local shops. The Johnson/Evinrude dealer says Merc sucks, the dealer down the street swears by Suzuki but that's because it's what he sells.

I've only owned 3 outboard in my life, an old early 70's Evinrude that was a challenge to get running in the spring, an '83 Johnson that was utterly unreliable, and now I have a Johnson 9.9 with low hours that looks like it may have been taken care of so this one may work.
I'd like to buy a bigger boat and rather than picking the boat and sticking an outboard on it, would rather find a great motor and build the boat around it.
For instance...Honda just came out with a new 40 and 50 HP. Suzuki has some nice mid-sized motors too. Nissan/Tohatsu has 40-115 HP as well. If any one brand stood out as exceptional, I'd prefer to settle on an outboard, then find what boats it'll effectively work with. I'm not looking at big boats, just bay boats, flats boats, or even possibly aluminum v-hulls in the 15-18 foot range.

Some 4-strokes are hard to change the oil in, some brands may be easier to flush ( Suzuki DF60/70 maybe? ).
Parts availability is a concern. If I ding a prop or need an impeller, will parts be more difficult to get from Nissan or Honda or more expensive?

So, that's why the question. Not trying to stir the pot, looking for some honest answers. I'm a little gunshy of Johnson/Evinrude because of my past experience with them and looking for alternatives. I spent 13 years in automotive service and like it or not, the Japanese cars were always more reliable than the American brands we serviced as well. I wonder it that reliability made it's way into the marine industry.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think if you bought a brand new 115hp id go evinrude. All the rest are good however i sure wish mine had a carb for each cyl.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Hey jevery

You gonna share some of that?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Hey jevery

You gonna share some of that?

Gonna try to restrain myself on this one. Besides, I think deep down inside everyone here knows that 4-strokes are best. (stir the pot)? But seriously, it?s personal preference. Both engine types have attributes and drawbacks. Depends on what?s important to you.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been watching this thread since it started and I do not think that you have gotten a straight answer from a tech yet. WHile all opinions have value and are important I am pretty sure that you are looking for a tech that works on all brands to answer thiese questions. Honestly I am not sure that you will ever get that but I will keep watching to see if you do. I currently have a 95 Johnson 40hp 2 stroke that I would love to replace but I am in the same boat (I want a good one that does not cost an arm and a leg). For me brand name means nothing just reliability, ease of maintenance and price.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will get many different answers because "best" means different things to each person.
Best = lowest maintenance
Best = most reliable
Best = highest performance
Best = good local dealer
Best = most fuel efficient
Best = most available parts
Best = lowest initial cost
Best = higest trade-in value.
Best = lowest weight
Best = I like the color or it matches my boat!

The best motor for you may be one that I wouldn't even consider. For example, Honda builds a good motor, but there is no dealer in my area, so I would not consider it. Also "best" motor may vary depending on model. Brand "X" may make a great 50-HP but their 25-HP is not so good.
Also the boat that you want may only come with one brand of motor, then the choice becomes fairly easy.

Bottom line, I think all modern Outboards are pretty good. Any of them, given good care should last for many years.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

This one is easy:

Brand ________is the best. Brand ________is the worse.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Gonna try to restrain myself on this one. Besides, I think deep down inside everyone here knows that 4-strokes are best. (stir the pot)? But seriously, it?s personal preference. Both engine types have attributes and drawbacks. Depends on what?s important to you.

Huh?

I just wanted some popcorn.