First time boater and user

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all ,<br /><br />It's my first time on this forum and in fact its my first time ive purchased a boat as i am really keen and want to get it to boating ,<br /><br />I have just purchased an old Fletcher arrow 14 foot speed boat with an 33hp Johnson super sea horse engine Model: RXEL - 15C Serial : C520318 .<br /><br />I was just wondering is this engine ok for me to start out with as i dont really know much at all about them , I would appreciate any help regarding the engine , I had a look at the Year in the FAQ bit on here and i think the year is 1967 ? and should i mix the oil / fuel ratio at 50 /1 ? I had a play with Fuel line from the tank to the engine but cant seem to pump any fuel through it , Is this a common problem with them ? and will i need to replace it ? Also when i get round to starting it up , I want to start it up at home , so will a old drum be ok to use ( how much of the engine needs to be in water ??? )Are there any good online shops that i can purchase spares ??? I live in the UK.<br /><br />Thanks for taking time reading this and any help will be great !Looking forward to your replys

D

DJ

Re: First time boater and user

Danny,<br /><br />That's a good and simple engine. Very good for someone to "tinker" with.<br /><br />Replace the fuel line assembly. The "OMC" connections were common with newer OMC engines. Easy to find.<br /><br />A Barrel is fine. The water should be higher than the cavitation plate (plate above prop).<br /><br />50/1 is correct. Use TCW-3 rated oil-only.<br /><br />When you start it, make sure it is cooling. The top cylinder should NEVER get too hot to touch. About 140 degrees F.<br /><br />I'm not sure if iboats will ship to the UK, it's worth a shot.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Watch the flow direction arrow on the fuel primer bulb for correct orientation. It's easily possible to install backwards.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

In addition, you might want to note the side of the fuel bulb. There's an arrow that must point toward the engine, not toward the tank.<br /><br />1967 is correct.<br /><br />EDIT: WildOne you beat me.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

RXEL-15C<br />RX= model type<br />E= Electric start<br />L= long (20") shaft<br />15= 1967<br />C= production run. Useful for parts identification.<br /><br />Spark plugs are Champion J4C (replaced J4J) gapped at .030"<br /><br />Points in the magnetos are set at .020".<br /><br />As DJ says, a great engine that is easy to maintain.