1979 25hp Johnson Outboard.

hey guys,

Please help me out a bit here, I'm about to purchase my first outboard motor. It's a 1979 25hp Johnson Outboard.

Info I have is (as I was told)
*2nd Owner
*Have low hours on it (but how do I tell if this is the case)
*Have original paint
*95% of the time use in fresh water
*When used is salt water, it was run in fresh water right after to clean it out.
*Guy also said there's not rust on it, inside or out.
*Also the thing is coated in anticorrosion stuff
*He said it works absolutely great (and can demo it for me)
*Starts first pull everytime, dont even need to pull the choke out
*You can leave it idling in neutral all day, which is a good sign

My questions are?

Is there any common issue with these 1979 motor?
Would this be able to get up on plane with 4 people in a 12' inflatable boat?
And will it be able to get up to about 20MPH, with 4 or at least 3 people on the boat?
What are thing's I should look for?

Thanks guys.

Jgweb2000

Cadet
Re: 1979 25hp Johnson Outboard.

my advice for you, upon buying the motor, tell the guy that you want him to sign a prewritten agreement that says that you will write him a check to for however much money the motor is, then you will take the motor to a mechanic of your choice, and get the motor checked out, if the motor doesnt meet your expectations, you get your money back and he gets his motor back, if he decides to go against this agreement, take him to small claims court, you will win :).

if he doesnt want to sign and says no, offer him another 100 dollars for it or something, its worth getting it checked out before you buy it.

Jgweb2000

Re: 1979 25hp Johnson Outboard.

I'm getting it for $500, he'll take me out on the boat with him. I understand where you are coming from about getting it checked out, however, how long does it takes to over head, if we are out for about 10 mins and everything performed fine.

Mostly likely it's good as he said, the reason is because I said he's about 2 hrs away from me drive distance.

Edit: I just spoke to the guy, after I mention I want to get it checked out, he starts to come up with a few excuses. So I told him don't worry about it, all of a sudden everything is not actually what he say.

Thank for the heads up on getting it check out by a shop.

I'm still looking :)