'94 112hp #1 plug is foamy

76delro

Cadet
took my boat out today started fine, ran fine did not run it full throtle at all just half to 3/4 throtle. shot the motor off to try some fishing with no luck on that spot try to start and had trouble starting it. finally got it started then at this the motor started spaterring like one plug is not firing or something try to give it more gas just spaterd more i was able to nurse back to the dock on about 1/4 throtle. trailered the boat a quick run to west marine for some new plugs. gap and replace plugs (champion) put boat back in the water started fine so went back out same problem spaters. did i say that right?
from both times that i have taken and replace the plug, plug on cylinder 1 has white foamy substance on it. the other plugs are fine.

Attachments

• P7190038.jpg
    P7190038.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '94 112hp #1 plug is foamy

A foamy plug is water ingestion, check the cylinder head gasket, or a compression test. By the photo, what plug are you using?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Still! as you discibe that is water in the cylinder.

76delro

Cadet

thank you very much... so i take it my next move is compression test.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

My next move would be to find the source of the water and eliminate it. It is almost certain to be a blown cylinder head gasket. Try to get some extra oil in that cylinder while you think about it.

The cylinder head gaskets usually get damaged by overheating. If it is isolated damage, it may be because of a dislodged water deflector. You won't know until you pull the cylinder head and take a look.

76delro

Cadet

thanks a million guys...does anyone know how much a job like that would cost???

76delro

Cadet

ok guys im going to go ahead and tackle the job myself... as i look at the motor im thinking of replacing the cover gasket also. im doing both sides by the way. anything else that i should do while i'm at it...things i should check... PLEASE ADVICE

nguoi_viet41

Seaman

this how i do

1) test compressor
2) remove old gasket
3) check see any crack
4) check uneven head
5) compare new and old gasket make sure all the same
6) install new gasket
tight the bolts sequent and using tightening ft-lb per your service book
7) retest compressor