Re-Commissioning "New" 1980 Merc 330

Jack Rose

Cadet
Hey, I just bought a '62 Century Coronado with what appears to be a brand-new 1980 Mercruiser MIE 330HP/454 CID (ser# 5369405) installed in it. It also has a Velvet Drive Model 10-18-002 transmission (ser # 1786). And it has no battery.

The story is that the previous owner pulled it out of the water one Fall, had the new engine put in it, and then he died. So the engine has never been run beyond testing. Three hours, they said.

The story, also, is that this occurred in 2004, but that would question the "new" 1980 engine. However, a new 1980 Mercruiser brochure, with the 330 model circled, came in the paperwork with the boat.

Anyway, whatever the date of installation, the engine appears clean as a whistle, as does the oil on the dip stick, as does the bilge and engine box, as does what I can tell from peering under the valve covers through the oil fill holes. Also, the distributor cap and rotor have almost no wear.

I haven't tried to turn it, manually, yet. Nor have I removed the plugs nor done a compression test. But I did replace the cooling system drain plugs and pet-cocks that were in a neat pile on top of the block, so I'm assuming that it was properly drained for storage and doesn't have a cracked block.

So, if I pretend that the story is true as far as it being a new 1980 engine that's never been run (whenever it may have been installed), beyond buying a battery for it, where do I go from here?

Also, any impression of, or history of, or experience with that particular engine would be great. I was surprised to find that it's a GM and not a Ford.

I have a brother-in-law and nephew who build race cars, who are coming this weekend to look it over, so your advice will be very much appreciated.

I'm pretty new to marine engines, so thanks for your patience, especially with my next dozen or so questions.

Jack

FYI, the boat was originally powered with a 260 hp Interceptor, though both a 300 hp Chrysler or 300 hp Interceptor were options. Later models of the same Century hull had 454s installed. And a recent marine survey has deemed the hull planking, battens, frames and stringers to be in good condition, so I don't think that overpowering is a concern.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re-Commissioning "New" 1980 Merc 330

Most Mercruiser motors have been GM.There was a few years that they used Ford and their own motors.The older models can still be bought.I worked for a yard that had access to original 327's and 283's in the crate. So anything is possible. Good luck with your boat.Jerry

Jack Rose

Cadet

Thanks. So any advice on what to do before cranking this thing up?

My self-proclaimed auto engine "expert" nephew said that on his Ford engines he can pull the distributor, and reach down in there with the appropriate sized hex socket, and turn the oil pump to do a thorough job of pre-lubing a newly rebuilt engine.

Would that work on this Mercruiser? If so, which way do I turn it? This is a right-hand engine. And I know, don't drop the socket.

Or is there a better way to pre-lube?

He was also wondering about running synthetic oil after the 20 hour break-in.

Any thoughts?

Jack

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on a chevy motor you need a oil pump primer which yo u can buy from most racing supply places like summit racing. i have never checked but i bet napa has them too

Bondo

Staff member

This is a right-hand engine.

Ayuh,....

Are you Sure..... That would be Unusual......
Most single motored boats use a Standard Lefthand motor......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I was bringing back my dad's 350 chevy engine after sitting for a few years, I pulled the plugs and filled each cylinder with auto trans fluid and let it sit for a few days. I pulled the distributor and operated the oil pump until I had full oil pressure for a few minutes. I then turned the engine over by hand a few revolutions before I then cranked it over with the starter. After that, I put back in the plugs ans started it up.

I would do the exact same thing in your case. I do wonder how much corrosion you are going to have on the cylinder walls.

thumpar

Admiral

When I was bringing back my dad's 350 chevy engine after sitting for a few years, I pulled the plugs and filled each cylinder with auto trans fluid and let it sit for a few days.

I think that is one of the most important things. With that kind of age the rings can stick to the walls and break. Some people say marvel mystery oil or others. I am not sure what is best but at least something to get in there and soke in for a bit is a must.

Bondo

Staff member

I would do the exact same thing in your case. I do wonder how much corrosion you are going to have on the cylinder walls.

Ayuh,.....

A Solid Plan,+ a Valid Question....
That's Along Time, sitting with a valve or 2 open....

If it was Pickled Properly,...... It might be OK.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One more thing...don't dump any fuel into that tank until you check its condition and what is in there. Probably a bunch of rusty water mixed with old gas. The tank may even be a steel tank and be rusted through.

Jack Rose

Cadet

Hey thanks.

I pulled the distributor and operated the oil pump.

So, how do I go about "operating" the oil pump, the way my nephew suggested or do I get the oil pump primer that J Jackson recommended? And how does the latter work?

I hadn't thought about corrosion in the cylinders, would a few squirts of WD-40 through the spark plug holes be inappropriate? Or is it not viscous enough to provide lubrication like Marvel Mystery Oil or transmission fluid?

The tank has what appears to be about 10 gallons of really odd smelling gasoline in it, and yes it's galvanized steel, and it's original to the boat. I've shut off the fuel line and was planning on replacing the tank, long term, but for seeing-if-it-starts purposes just running the engine out of a gas can. Any recommendations, there?

As for the rotation, I said right-hand, knowing that the engine tag says clock-wise. I always get that backwards.

Anymore ideas? And thanks again. Should make for a fun weekend.

Jack

MikDee

Banned

WD-40 is not gonna work! it has no viscosity. I suggest a healthy dose of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder. Get the tool, it is the proper way to circulate oil through the engine before starting, I think NAPA has it. Yes, the best idea for now is run it off any type seperate gas can, until you can get your tank cleaned good. Normal rotation on these Chevy engines is clockwise, for the crankshaft, & distributor. Just be aware that unless this engine was winterized, lubed real good, when put away, rust begins to form on the cylinder walls immediately, and we all know "Rust don't sleep", this will determine if your rings seal, or if you get blowby. One more thing to be concerned about, is valve guide seals, they're only rubber o-rings, but on marine engines they're usually umbrella type seals a little better design, these are not hard to replace, but the heads may hafta come off, but I'm getting ahead of myself here, lets get this engine running 1st, then evaluate.

Jack Rose

Cadet

OK, thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

So, is this the plan?

1. Pull the spark plugs and squirt in some Marvel Mystery Oil.
2. Let it sit for a day or so while I find a battery and oil pump primer.
3. Use the primer. Clockwise in a clockwise engine?
4. Give the engine a few turns manually.
5. Hook a garden hose to the water intake.
6. Put the end of the fuel line into a gas can.
7. Crank her up and see what happens.
8. If it runs, celebrate; if not, come back here for Plan B.

That got it?

Jack

Maclin

Admiral

The primer tool should turn the same direction as the distributor rotation.

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have a look at the raw water pump impeller before starting the engine.if it has set this long it might have dry rotted and will come apart . take the coolant hose from the raw water pump and hook up to a garden hose and check for leaks, could have been frozen engine or busted manifolds. what did the spark plugs look like? If there was any rust on the plugs I would pull the heads off before I even cranked it over. If there is a rust ring in a cylinder you could break a top piston ring by turning it over.If no rust then I would try and crank it up. who knows the guy that laid it up might have actually fogged it ! The drill primer is a good idea. Be sure to mark the distributer housing on the intake and the rotor position so you can get it back in time with out a lot of headache. Put the primer shaft in and make sure it engages the oil pump drive shaft. put on a good 1/2 in drill and turn on slow while holding down on the primer shaft so it stays engaged to the oil pump. watch your oil pressure gauge to see if it builds up. Turn crankshaft over a few times and do it again to lube all of the cam bearings and top end .Put it all back together and start it up on fresh gas
Good Luck
Jeff

thumpar

Admiral

have a look at the raw water pump impeller before starting the engine.if it has set this long it might have dry rotted and will come apart .

Good point. I don't think anyone has said if anything should be done to anything in the drivetrain. I know there are parts that turn with the engine even when in neutral.

MikDee

Banned

You could take off the engine main water feed hose at the back of the outdrive lower unit, it is the 1" inside diameter hose, and connect the garden hose to it, eliminating going thru the lower unit at this time, to replace the impeller,,, you just bypass it all for now.

cutlas

Cadet

out a good amount of mystery oil or trand fluid both work well ... then go find your batery and ask around for the peformance shop in your area or jegs or summntget your primer . bring a good 18volt cordless drill or electric drill ... prime motor for 30-sec to one minute.. then turn the motor over by hand and do it again... ....forward on the drill ... clockwise...if is a gm

Jack Rose

Cadet

I was planning on re-packing the stuffing box, eventually anyway, but do I need to do be concerned with the transmission at this point, too, if I keep it in neutral? Or was that just for an I/O?

And on the impeller, I was thinking that the pressure from the garden hose would provide enough circulation, but maybe that's wrong. If the impeller is dry or shot, I'd hate to be forcing pieces further into the cooling jacket. Maybe I should move that further up my check list (edited: ... wait a minute, there is no impeller, is there, that was for the guy who was thinking I/O, right?)

Also, is the pressure from the hose an issue, can it be too high/too low? And should I maybe just let the intake pull water from a bucket that I, in turn, keep filled up with the garden hose ... or something like that?

The plugs all look good, all look the same, just slightly black with a light film of some light petroleum product on them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Problem is, more suggestions just bring up more questions for a first-timer on marine engines.

Jack