boat and motor sunk scratched from the race

freddyray21

Commander
took my little 3hp I just picked up to the AOMCI meet yesterday to run it in the 3hp boat race. I was in a borrowed jon boat with the grandson (16 yo )of the guy who was putting on the meet. We had gone over to the other side of the lake to pick up another boat to put a motor on. I got in the other boat and was paddling to the other side (small lake) and left the grandson to take the jon back. He went back then came back to see if I needed help and killed my little 3hp. I told him it might be out of gas as it did not have a lot in it. He pulled the cap and was leaning over to look in the tank and put all his weight in one corner bringing in water. He still would have been alright, but he panicked and jumped to the other side and pulled more water in. The boat sunk taking the motor down with it with no gas cap on the motor. The grandson abandoned ship and swam to shore. A friend, Arlie, came over with his boat and he and I pulled the boat to shore. I took the motor off and dumped the water out of the boat. Needless to say I had to scratch from the race. Motor is all dried out now and running good again, but a funny story.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: boat and motor sunk scratched from the race

That is either a very small boat, or a very large grandson.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

glad you got it running.

BeerMonkey

Seaman

people race jon boats? thats pretty cool.

freddyray21

Commander

not really jon boats, but antique motors. It was a 3hp antique or in this case I guess classic since it was a 1955 motor.