Diagnos this ticking noise

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm about to yank this engine for the final time and replace it with a Rapido-Marine SBC 350 engine. I do however would like to know if anyone can tell me why it has started ticking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4jlFScjCA

Also, I am having a problem with my oil pressure reading. I just installed new gauges and I am still having the gauge read 80psi. I think it may be the sender is wrong. The original one had a broken post so I went to Napa and got a replacement one. They assusred me it would work on my engine. Problem is I never really remember whether the reading was different with the old guage or not. Any suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLY96fuvUvU

My engine info is listed in my signature.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Diagnos this ticking noise

Your ticking noise is probably nothing more than the exhaust shutters.That vintage those shutters were nothing but a stainless steel rocker covered with neoprene.Problem was the neoprene flaked off ,SOO...tick,tick tick,when they become metal to metal.Repair is easy but a little dirty and will require new elbow gaskets.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks but I don't think that is it. Just put the engine back in the boat 2 months ago and the flappers were fine then. The reason I know is I had to retieve a bolt I dropped down in the exhaust pipe.

Any other opinions out there?

thumpar

Admiral

I would get a auto stethiscope and try to figure out where the noise is coming from. You can also see if you can tell if it is ticking with every revolution of the motor or every other. That will tell you if it is in the lower end or the cam/valve train (if it is in the motor at least).

Coors

Captain

Temp install a mechanical gauge- that problem out of the way.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like lifters.Did you pull the rocker covers off ? If all the rockers are not getting oil it might be a spun cam bearing. That might part of the problem to the high oil pressure.
Just a thought
Beef