Can you overinflate?

mikeya4

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a 9' inflatable which came with bellow style foot pump, it has no pressure gauge so i don't know when it gets up to pressure, can you over inflate with these foot pumps or should i just inflate until it becomes to difficult, the pump I have has no place for a gauge and I cant seem to find anything over here that fits my valve, any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can you overinflate?

they usually come with marks on the rubber hull, and a measuring instrument. you check the too items until they match. that is when it is inflated properly. air pressure cause the tube to stretch. then in the heat of the day, the pressure goes up, and at night it goes down. all it is a fancy balloon. too much pressure and POP.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One thing to watch with inflatables is the temperature. If you inflate it on a cool morning and then it's sitting on a scorching hot beach at noon things can change and you may need to let a little air out....especially if you have a dark colored inflatable.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Depending on the pump...You probably will have a hard time reaching full pressure anyway. If you have a 2-stage pump with a low pressure side just use that side.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes....when it goes KaBooooooooooom...you have over inflated. Sorry, I couldn't resist

I agree with "DJC". With a foot pump I haven't managed to get up to 3 lbs in the tubes. I run my Zebec at 6 lbs (cold) and have never had a problem. Check with the manufacture to see what pressure the tubes are tested and go from there.
ng

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a zoom Zodiac from Iboats, kinda suprised they don't sell a pressure device that will fit in the hole, seeing how overinflating will void the warranty

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I made my own pressure device from an pvc garden fitting .... works perfectly ...

I just bought a zoom Zodiac from Iboats, kinda suprised they don't sell a pressure device that will fit in the hole, seeing how overinflating will void the warranty

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Ribshop in the uk (google them) sell a pressure gauge that fits.