'86 Mercruiser 140 with AlphaI outdrive is Driving us CRAZY

MikDee

Banned
Re: '86 Mercruiser 140 with AlphaI outdrive is Driving us CRAZY

That outdrive water feed hose kinking, or cracking is such a common problem on these Mercruisers, it should be a sticky here! And when you replace it make sure it's the proper length!, and the right type hose according to the manual! Don't ask me how I know ;)

Last edited:

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if I would trust my mechanic to tell me that my mans and risers should last another 4-5 years and I regularly boat in salt water. I would change them every 2-3 years max.

The hose was the problem:redface::rolleyes:
You know it's really strange just how "cool" a boat will run when it get the proper amount of water to cool the engine!!! :redface::redface:We ran it full throttle for a long time this morning and it never got above 145!!! 140 at cruising speed!

Thanks everyone for everything. You have been great!!

That outdrive water feed hose kinking, or cracking is such a common problem on these Mercruisers, it should be a sticky here! And when you replace it make sure it's the proper length!, and the right type hose according to the manual! Don't ask me how I know

Ok put us in that category of trying to get by cheap!! We used regular heater hose last year. Yesterday we bit the bullet and bought the Mercruiser Quicksilver hose!!! BIG Difference!

don't know if I would trust my mechanic to tell me that my mans and risers should last another 4-5 years and I regularly boat in salt water. I would change them every 2-3 years max.

I understand what you are saying. We had just talked about the fact that we don't run it all that much (we also have a pontoon & jon boat) and that we always flush it as soon as we get home every trip. He said under those circumstances that it was likely it would last that long.

Thanks again for everything!!! :)I really appreciate all the help.

MikDee

Banned

Both my previous SeaRays ran 145* once I changed out the hose, & put in a 145* Thermostat, they make more power when run cooler also!

On one of them, I slid a 1" copper sweat 45degree elbow down the hose onto the bend next to the outdrive plate, it stayed there, with a perfect fit, :) so it could never kink again! ;)