Water In gear Oil & water pump replacement

JRose_1989

Cadet
I am working on a project boat with a 1985 Gm 4 cylinder and a sterndrive 400. My question is about the water pump in the drive. I have been told that these need to be replaced anytime the boat sits? How hard are they to replace, and is there anything in particular that I need to do when replacing it or removing the lower unit? And how do I disconnect the shift cables or does this have to be done? I need kind of a step-by-step guide, I have a manual on order, I just want to get this part done. That way I will be able to run the motor. That way I will have an idea of just what the boat needs to run and if it is worth it.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Water pump replacement

i got the same setup.how long it been sitting?while u are standing outside looking at the drive on the right side the starboard side youll see all the way down on the lower drive is a plug,above that is another plug.put a pan under the drive pull the lower plug.than pull the next plug up.what the gear oil look like?milky?u have a leak.clear or just dirty your ok.does the lower plug have a magnet on it?is there alot of metal shavings?if not you ok.now the upper drive on the starboard side a little ways up is another plug.pull that one.on top of the drive is a big screw thats a dipstik.pull it let the oil out same chit hows the oil look milky?its got a leak clear or just dirty your ok. now the intermediate drive there is a plug under the drive thats way up pull that one.looking at the drive theres a big screw that almost horizontal pull that one ok little tip dont mix up the screws.the plugs are the same but the lower ones on the lower drive and upper drive have magnets.ok nows when a manual is a must.it depends on how long the boat sat.post your replys here and i will help u with alot of other people who have stringers.make sure u drain the drive with the drive all the way down.good luck.

chiefalen

Captain

i read ya last post and i responded to that one also.i would just change the oil in the outdrive and the motor than start it.make sure the oudrive is in the fully down position never run it up.start it and than post your result.if your feeling ambitious after u start the boat ill tell ya what else ya got to do.maybe 2-3 hours but youll be set for the year if nothing is busted.i don't know ya level of mechanical abilities.but a decent backyard mechanic can have this outdrive and motor run a very long time.good luck

JRose_1989

Cadet

OK I Will look at it tomorrow, I will try to post some pictures of the oil also.

JRose_1989

Cadet
MY Drive Oil

MY Drive Oil

Well good news and bad news. I did what you said and drained the oil, I have not changed it because I am unsure of what oil I need to buy. So lets start off with the good news and move to the bad. The intermediate part of the drive was perfect NO WATER at all. The oil here was a like dark blue in color, and flowed nicely no water. Then the lower unit, I think it is ok as well, no milky oil or clear water. It was of a caramel color and also flowed nicely. It was not clear but I think it is just because this oil is of such high viscosity, Hopefully I am correct on this, I am not 100% sure of no water in this oil, but if there was it was not as noticeable as the upper. So I kept the lower oil in a clear bottle, I am going to let it settle for a few days, if water is in it I should be able to tell. Is a caramel color good or bad, as an all three oils were of a different color?
Then the bad news the upper part of the drive, the oil/ water, was very thick kind of like a grease and would change its viscosity back and forth quickly to being thin like water. It was a grayish white in color, definitely water as I even seen clear water drops in the pan as well as the oil water mixture.
Where should I go from here? I have pretty much flushed all of the water out of the upper with brand new cheap motor oil. How is this water entering the drive and how hard is it to fix, or is the boat headed to the scrap yard?

Here are some pictures of the oil. 1 of the lower unit and two of the upper.

Attachments

• IMG00078.jpg
    IMG00078.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00080.jpg
    IMG00080.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00081.jpg
    IMG00081.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

JRose_1989

Cadet
Re: Water In gear Oil & water pump replacement

Well good news and bad news. I did what you said and drained the oil, I have not changed it because I am unsure of what oil I need to buy. So lets start off with the good news and move to the bad. The intermediate part of the drive was perfect NO WATER at all. The oil here was a like dark blue in color, and flowed nicely no water. Then the lower unit, I think it is ok as well, no milky oil or clear water. It was of a caramel color and also flowed nicely. It was not clear but I think it is just because this oil is of such high viscosity, Hopefully I am correct on this, I am not 100% sure of no water in this oil, but if there was it was not as noticeable as the upper. So I kept the lower oil in a clear bottle, I am going to let it settle for a few days, if water is in it I should be able to tell. Is a caramel color good or bad, as an all three oils were of a different color?
Then the bad news the upper part of the drive, the oil/ water, was very thick kind of like a grease and would change its viscosity back and forth quickly to being thin like water. It was a grayish white in color, definitely water as I even seen clear water drops in the pan as well as the oil water mixture.
Where should I go from here? I have pretty much flushed all of the water out of the upper with brand new cheap motor oil. How is this water entering the drive and how hard is it to fix, or is the boat headed to the scrap yard?

Here are some pictures of the oil. 1 of the lower unit and two of the upper.