Quick Help -- Volvo 5.0 GL Water Pump

stvptguy

Cadet
I am looking for a quick response of possible. This should be an easy question for people that have a manual or a 5.0 GL engine.

On the water pump in the front of the engine (pully driven), which port is the inlet and which is the outlet port?

Also, when looking at the hoses, which hose is the one with the flush kit already installed? I normally would think that you can use the flush kit to put water into the system to cool, but also confused myself thinking it could be used to flush the water in reverse, out.

Help!!! Thanks

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Quick Help -- Volvo 5.0 GL Water Pump

If you mean the raw water pump then I am pretty sure the bottom is the inlet where the hose from the transom goes and the top one is the outlet and the hose goes to the thermostat housing. The year and drive info is always helpful in answering a question like this.

Look up your AQ series number from the link just below (probably AQ205x or Aq225x) and click it, then click ALL then find Cooling System and click that.....

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=group&type=volvo&group=

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't have an AQ model at all. Being a GL, that means it's somewhere between 94 and now. What is the full model number of your engine.
Should look something like this ............ with any luck.

GLwaterpump.png

stvptguy

Cadet

When I look at the engine identification, it shows:

5.0 GL-C

It is an SX-M 1.60 drive unit

When I have started the boat, the water hoses do not fill in anyway. I thought at first I reversed the hoses after winterization last year, but even reversing those does not help.

The first time I started the motor in the lake, it ran for 10 minutes or so and then the overheat alarm (I suspect) went off, so I turned it off immediately. The hoses had no water in them at that time as well. I just tried reversing the hoses tonight, and start on the trailer with motor muffs, but that didn't do anything different.

Thanks

stvptguy

Cadet

Oh, the year is a 2003 as far as I know (I bought the boat used last year). Very few hours on the boat, but no hour meter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's time to change your impeller in the pump. IF (and who knows for sure) you had it hooked up wrong, it would only take about 15 or 20 seconds to completly destroy a brand new impeller.
I you plan on doing the maintenance on your engine and drive, then get the OEM manual so you know what you are doing. It will be the most used tool in your tool box.

stvptguy

Cadet

So, I assume that based on your comments I did have it wrong after winterization. The hose that has the motor flush (garden hose connection) was hooked up to the bottom and not the top of the water pump.

I have read he overheating diagnostics PDF that is on the web, and they talk about the possible head gasket damage, etc. If I don't hear anything bad on the engine, do you think that the impeller is just the problem?

Thanks again!

Maclin

Admiral

Sorry guys, I knew I should have waited for the other info:redface: I had it in my head that GL engines were earlier years.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yep.. new impeller to start.