Solid floor/Rot in stringers?

Soundslikefun

Seaman
I just picked up a 1964 boat. I've been browsing through the threads here and learning a lot.

The floor in my boat is rock solid which doesn't make meworry about rotten stringers, but the age of the boat sure does. Is it possible my stingers are fine? Is it likely the floor could still be solid despite rot underneath? I'm 300 pounds also, so I'm putting the floor to the test.

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Solid floor/Rot in stringers?

If the floor is sound then the stringers probably are also. A 64 boat might not have any stringers in it at all. It might just have foam under the wood

Fingernip

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Make sure someone hasnt put a new deck over an old rotted one. If the deck hasnt been comprimised in any way and your foam (if applicable) is dry then its likely you will have good stringers.

Soundslikefun

Seaman

Make sure someone hasnt put a new deck over an old rotted one. If the deck hasnt been comprimised in any way and your foam (if applicable) is dry then its likely you will have good stringers.

Thanks. Judging by some of the "craftsmanship" the previous owner used elsewhere, I'm guessing I have the original floor. It looks too good there it meets the body.

Coors

Captain

Only some test drilling will answer the question.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you really want to be sure you can cut a test hole, which will give you a good look at the deck and stringer.

Cut it like a pumpkin lid so it can fit back in and you can throw a quick patch of F/G over top.

Picture006.jpg

Cut on an angle

Picture007.jpg

Fits right back in.

my boat is 60-70s ish (not sure) and the deck felt very solid but it had some bad spots. Push all around all the areas that were screwed in and feel for any give, Another way to tell is if the floor is bowed/sagged around the stringer because some boats diden't have cross braces have a good look at the deck from stern to bow.

Fuzzey

Coors

Captain

Ir you know were the stringers are; 1/4" will do. Also for inside of transom.
If good, patch back with marine tex; 5200.