Sunken Boat Project

I just received a boat for free. A 1974 30' Chris Craft Express Cruiser. I knew it was in rough shape when I decided to take it on but didn't realize how bad. I was at the Marina and talking to another boater who told me that it had sank for about half a day do to rain water build up and no bilge pump. I'm having a diver check it out this week but am a little concerned about the structure now.

I'm planning to rebuilding the interior first and worrying about the Motor and Mechanics later on.... It was free so i want to start small and see what can be done with it over time. Am I crazy to start a project like this? Does the boat structure become compromised after a boat has been submerged and resurfaced, and does the seller (or in this case giver) or marina have to tell you that a boat has sunk before you take it over. The Boat is floating now and seems to be fine I just need to start looking for Black Mold.

I'm new to this so if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. I have a lot of work cut out for me.

Thanks

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sunken Boat Project

Wood will rot if left wet. Like you stated, you better look for mold. I would also ask if the engine was dried out, because a submerged drivetrain will be junk within 24 hours after it comes up unless it was "worked".

As for getting it for free, I don't think they HAVE to tell you, but it would have been nice. If you paid anything for it, then yes, they should have disclosed it.

It might be a little more work then you might want to tackle. I would give it back.​

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a boat really needs to be neglected before it sinks due to rain water.

the motor's are probably toast.....thats the expencive part. 15 to 20 grand worth.

if you have the time and money.........have atter

good project that could give you a nice boat.

WizeOne

Commander

It's in salt water

Ouch! Sorry 74, I hate to bust a bubble of boating enthusiasm, but I would run the other way as fast as I could. My stomach muscles just cramp up thinking about it.

Anything can be fixed, but at what cost in time and material.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

every piece of electrical including wire will have to be replaced. if the engines went under, and have not been started, they are toast already. controls and steering will have to be replaced. unless you are in love with the boat style, keep looking. you can buy a good used running boat for what you will have in this one, and having been sunk once, will cut it's value, even though it is restored.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Here the owner (Person/Marina) would have had to pay a hefty disposal/recycling fee to get rid of it after it was sunk.

By giving it away, they would have freed themselves of this responsibility. The recipient of the “free boat” now has these cost to bare, should he or she not decide to restore.

You might have just been given a large disposal bill by taking it off the previous owner hands.

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class

couldn't it just be towed to a salvage yard? all the ones i know of will take vehicles for free or even pay you up to $50 for them depending on the make, model and whats wrong with them.

jayrodoh

Seaman

I'm gonna go with the other guys on this one. My wife works at a marina and when a boat sinks, it's big time. EPA gets invloved for fuel and oil, etc etc. By taking the boat you're freeing the marina up on lots of cleanup and cost.

Anything submerged in saltwater will be junk in short order. The free ones always cost you the most.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

By us they (the salvage yards) won't take Fiberglass (something about never dissolving in they land fills) anymore, and the can't get rid of them (but they love Aluminum boats). They wouldn't even allow us to drop off old Fiberglass roofing shingles last summer at the recycling/landfill collection center.

My brother took them to Arkansas (cross country) on a vist to my mothers, and the land fill there still takes Fiberglass, but said not for long.

P.S. we were told that this has led to a dramatic increase of people stripping/grinding the hull numbers off old boats and leaving them on country roads. :mad: The Non-Profits are also starting to question (like old computers) whether to accept them as donations or not.

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Give it back, or donate it. A 30ft cruiser is a huge boat to restore. And being in salt water, like everyone else said, its toast. Remember, its the salt that got into everything that is going to rot it out from the inside over time as moisture/humidity re-activates it. That is all electric and all mechanical components.

Salt only preserves fish. It ruins boats.

Willyclay

Captain

Get a professional marine surveyor to check out the boat. A couple hundred bucks for a survey should answer all your questions. Good luck!

Robj

Lieutenant

Run Forest Run!

There are many cheaper boats out there. Keep looking. Being sunk in salt water it is a huge liability for the owner and/or marina which they would love to unload on someone.

Have a great day,

Rob.

jonesg

Admiral

Its called hazardous waste and carries a disposal fee.

I see a ton of boats on craigslist free, and they never sank.