pontoon fishing boat rant

Devious

Seaman
so please let me know if you think i'm out of line with my rant.

last night it is 90* so the woman, her friend, and i head up to the lake. it is pretty late in the day so most people have gone home, and it is a big enough lake- 4 miles long, 1.5-2 miles wide. there are probably 20 boats out. we go over to this one spot away from everyone. we're wakeboarding behind my PWC, a mile straight shot along the edge, then turning around and heading back to the start spot. we do this routine 3-4 times. then this pontoon boat decides to drive over from the other side of the lake, and stops right in front of us. jerk. so we move farther off shore- he moves farther off shore. we move back to the original track- he moves back to the original track. after this guys screws up 3 of our runs, we decide to stop and swim for a while. we're in the water for 5 minutes and watch this guy drive back to the other side of the lake.

i don't care if you dont like jetskis or wakeboarders. if i'm being respectful and staying away from you while youre fishing, be respectful and stay away from me while we're riding. :mad:

/rant

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: pontoon fishing boat rant

I will tell you around where I live the fisherman boaters think they own the place sometimes. Some of the area's I boat have very, I mean very narrow channels to navigate. Well the fisherman feel that they own the place and they all park their boats right in this channel and fish. You cant get through and when you get near them so you can get through the channel you get the stink eye. It drives me crazy because they know this is the only way to get from one side to the other. I just want to blast through sometimes and give them a good wake, I wont because it isn't safe but they deserve it. Dont get me started on the crabbers.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the area is that narrow you have no business speeding thru it anyway. a 17y/o was just killed here, he was a life long boater, and knew the creek. he was on a PWC in a narrow creek, blind curve, a boat full speed met him on the curve and went right over him.

as far as the toon goes, i agree he was out of line. about the 3 rd time he moved into my line, he might have gotten a good spray.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmmm. I don't think your rant should be aimed at 'tooners, or fishermen, or speeders in hazardous waters.

Jerks show up in/on all sorts of watercraft, including PWCs, ragboats, etc.

I will join your rant against jerks on the water, but they come with many labels, so I won't put a label other than JERK on them.

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if the area is that narrow you have no business speeding thru it anyway.

Has nothing to do with speeding, has to do with them blocking the channel so no one can get through and they want you to go around regardless of the fact that the water is only 2 feet deep outside of the channel. The actual area can be up to 1/2 mile wide but the dredged channel is only a few feet wide and they sit in it.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with JB, there are JERKS on every lake, we've got our share at our little 150acre lake. The lake doesn't have enough room to get away from them. We try to be as courtious as possible to the fishermen, but when they fish in the middle of the skiing area, it's hard to not send some good sized wakes at them. They can fish the whole lake, but we can only ski on less than half.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I agree, jerks are where ya find 'em. I also agree the 'toon guy is in their first division.
On some lakes I've been on in Northern Wisconsin they are no wake after 6 PM and untill 10 AM. I've always liked this setup.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On some lakes I've been on in Northern Wisconsin they are no wake after 6 PM and untill 10 AM. I've always liked this setup.

Man, I'd hate that arangment, the best skiing around here is after 6pm, or before 10am, cause the wind is normally lower at those times. Each to his own,as you can guess, I don't fish :D

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Man, I'd hate that arangment, the best skiing around here is after 6pm, or before 10am, cause the wind is normally lower at those times. Each to his own,as you can guess, I don't fish :D

And I don't ski!! :p:D
But heck, Your in Kansas and I'm in Mich (or Wisconsin) so it still works!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have to admit to you that most of the time, jetskiers give me a pain in the behind because, quite frankly, most of the time they are a pain in the behind.

That said, you were there first, you attempted to pick a spot that wouldn't disturb others, and you repeatedly moved in an attempt to be "neighborly." Simply put, the other guy was a jerk.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the area is that narrow you have no business speeding thru it anyway. a 17y/o was just killed here, he was a life long boater, and knew the creek. he was on a PWC in a narrow creek, blind curve, a boat full speed met him on the curve and went right over him.

as far as the toon goes, i agree he was out of line. about the 3 rd time he moved into my line, he might have gotten a good spray.

Tashasdaddy,...that happen in black creek?