HELP Johnson 200 Gt Venom

johnsonl

Cadet
I have a 1994 Johnson 200 GT Venom that "free-wheels" and will not start. I am getting spark and fuel. Plugs are new, Its souds as if the kill switch is not in place. I have disconected the switch and wired direct ( temporary ). The motor ran fine on Sat, I tried to crank yesterday and it's free-wheeling. Compression checks out at 96-98 lbs on all six. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago and it ran great. I screwed up and mixed 50:1 in the gas and still had the VRO. The previos owner had said that he mixed oil in gas.. He later stated that he ment in the VRO... I am new here and Would GREATLY appretiate any help, Thanks,Lee Also I have the motor hooked up to straight gas on a temporary tank untill I figure out what to do with 30 gals of 50:1??????

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP Johnson 200 Gt Venom

The extra oil will not hurt anything - might smoke a bit more though.

If you have spark and fuel, you just need compression. Have you done a compression test since this problem started?

What is your starting procedure? Are you pushing the ignition key in while you crank the engine? Do you have the warm up lever up?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

welcome to the forum!

First thing I'm curious about is the other guy putting premix in the VRO tank. I'd just run it like it is. Top off the tank with straight gas ever chance you get. Only downside is excess smoke. Might foul the plugs just a bit. Gas is too valuable not to use.

The kill switch prevents spark, so if you've got spark, look elsewhere. When you "wired direct", which wires did you connect to what? How did you determine that you're getting spark?

How did you determine that you're getting fuel?

johnsonl

Cadet

I have done the compression test since Saturday, as far as the spark I placed a srewdriver in the plug wire and sparked to the plug end. The two wires that come from the kill switch behind the panel are tisted together. I dodn't have a starter throttle?. to start I pump ball, turn key push in for 8 sec then turn to start. motor whines and "choke" clicks but will not start. The last time the boat ran on plane was when i did the test drive. I took the boat to the lake last weekend and it woul not go above 3000 rpm in gear. But would rev up in "N". I thaought that the venturas were not opening while under load, But this does not seem to be the case. Any Ideas? the moter idoled for 20 mins on the ears perfectly on sat , all i did was shut it off. I still dodn't know if iw will plane out or not. I did trailer thge boat about 400 miles from where I bought it. Help!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Charge your battery back up and forget about pushing the key in for 8 seconds before.

Hold the key in while cranking so that the extra fuel is being pushed and pulled into the firing chambers at the same time. After the engine is warm, you should not need to use this much if at all. But when cold it is necessary.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

Attachments

• Starting.jpg
    Starting.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

**confused**
did you do your spark test before, or after, you hard wired the kill switch?

The kill switch is normally open - to kill the engine, the switch closes and connects the black ground wire to the black/yellow kill circuit wire. This grounds out the ignition, preventing it from sparking.

If you twisted the black and black/yellow wires together, you should not be seeing any spark on any cylinder.

johnsonl

Cadet

**confused**
did you do your spark test before, or after, you hard wired the kill switch?

The kill switch is normally open - to kill the engine, the switch closes and connects the black ground wire to the black/yellow kill circuit wire. This grounds out the ignition, preventing it from sparking.

If you twisted the black and black/yellow wires together, you should not be seeing any spark on any cylinder.

Sorry, You are right!. The Kill switch was removed to elimate the possible short, It rained while the boat was not in the garage overnight. I will try the above prcedures and get back to the forum tonight. Wish me luck, and thanks for the input, Lee

johnsonl

Cadet

It ran!!! The only difference was that we trimed the motor to below level. There is a warning beep that sounds after warm up . It beeps once every second or two. Any ideas?:confused:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The warning horn that beeps every 1/2 second is a no oil warning from the oil tank.