Stock prop dia. and pitch for Johnson150

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks - I have 2001 Johnson 150, J150VXSIF is model #, it's on a 2000 HydraSport 212 center console. The prop is pretty banged up, but I looked on the exterior hub of the prop and don't see the diameter X pitch - just a few stamped #s that are blurred.
Do I need to pull the prop to find the diameter and pitch stamp cause it's on the inside of the hub and not the outside?
Does anyone know what the stock dia. and pitch is on the stock prop?
New to boating - not info came w/ boat, so would appreciate any info.
Thx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stock prop dia. and pitch for Johnson150

There is no such thing as a "stock prop" and the engines aren't even shipped with one because the factory has no idea what style of boat the engine will be installed on. To give you any idea what you need, we need to know what the wide open throttle rpm is with an average load. Knowing what prop you have is also necessary or we would be guessing. Try to determine what the numbers are you see on the prop. Diameter and pitch are not always shown but if not, there is usually a manufacturers part number or code stamped into the barrel of the prop or on the hub behind the nut.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Or take it to your local prop shop and let them rebuild it. You'd be amazed as to what they can do with a badly damaged prop.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry about the "stock prop" question, I'm new to boating - I just didn't know. Will check out the #/symbols on the hub and report back tomorrow if the rain doesn't come as they're predicting.
As for RPMs at WOT, I can't tell RPMs cause the tach doesn't work, I've posted a few questions about how to trouble shoot the tack on the Johnson forum but haven't got any replies that help me to track down the problem, - just replace the guage. I have some auto mechanic ability but have a lot to learn about boats and engines.
Thanks again to both of you - sorry for the dumbbbb questions.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Hi folks - just wanted to get back to you and let u know, I pulled the prop, cleaned up the hub and found the dia. and pitch , it's 15 X 17. :D Thanks for info - still working on the Tach - still no solution

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The tach has four connections. 1) +12V when the key is on. 2) ground, 3) sense or pulse line from the engine, and 4) internal light. +12V when the key is on can come from the +12V terminal on any other gauge except the speedometer. Ground can come from the ground terminal on any gauge. The Light wire can come from the light terminal on any other gauge. The pulse or send line comes from the engine, but that line is present at a connector just below the key on some control boxes, or in the console harness.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, appreciate the info, will check it out next weekend, have to pay the rent this week and work ...