Fords 5.4L V8 Problems

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fords 5.4L V8 Problems

We haven't had a my truck's better than your truck thread in awhile...

That's a little broad. My F450 and F250 Diesels do not have the same frame, and the F750 surely doesn't. Yet they are all Super Duties...

Started with the new ones, 07 or the 08's.
F750 is referred to as a Super Duty "Chassis" and not just a Super Duty truck.
And comes in 350 - 750 flavors.
Regular Super duty is 250 - 450

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We haven't had a my truck's better than your truck thread in awhile...

No matter what brand you buy, if you keep it serviced and take care of it, it will perform for you.

Unless it's a Chevy, Toyota or Dodge... (j/k:D)

LOL!! Before I put the Windsor in my '65 in 2004 I used to say that "When they can do this at 35+years old with a 6cyl then they can talk but until then..:p" :D:D
beastandboat-1.jpg

puddle jumper

Captain

Correct. When you purchase a Tundra, you know it was made right here in the US (either in Indiana or Texas) with 85% or more US content.
When i worked at Toyota i was told the only Toyotas to buy were the ones made in Japan. On the rust thing the the Tercells rear lower control arms rusted out also so i guess thay didn't learn. Don't get me wrong Ive owned two 4 Runners and loved them. I personally don't think there is really a bad car out there just people who don't know how to take care of them.
If you like foreign cars you pay for them and if you like domestic cars there cheaper but more of them.
Just my 3 cents worth

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I bought a used 99Ford 250 Superduty with the V-10 It had over 200,000mi for 2000$ from my cousin.
I put about a grand in it.Tires,shocke brakes etc.
I have driven it to Alaska,Northern Ca.Two trips to Fl.Lots of other places.
All the time pulling something big.Slide in campers with boats and equipment trailers a 33ft travel trailer.
The only thing I had to replace was a caliper and a dipstick tube which the boys at Wal-Mart broke off (rusted anyway)
Now it has over 300,000mi and still starts and runs like a new truck.
While setting in Anchorage at a RV park our neighbor who had a brand new Nissan truck(he said was heavyduty)All he said was it ran good but wouldn't pull the trailer that he was told would pull it.(24ft.)
I would leave here and could go ANYWHERE in my Ford.
BUY AMERICAN AUTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

myoung84

Seaman

I don't see why so many people rag on Dodge. My last 2 vehicles have been Dodge trucks and I beat the hell out of them and they never shed a tear and they both pulled great. I also think they have the best styling and options. My work has all the new F150s and they are gutless and very uncomfortable. I do think the Chevys are nice though. When I buy my next vehicle, it will be a Dodge, I might test drive a Toyota, but I'm sure I will drive off the lot in Dodge.

tawd77

Seaman Apprentice

Correct. When you purchase a Tundra, you know it was made right here in the US (either in Indiana or Texas) with 85% or more US content.

Yes, tundras are primarily ASSEMBLED in the USA. A retard can bolt parts together. But they are still designed by the Japs. Thats why they are durable, reliable vehicles.

reelfishin

Captain

I've owned mostly only Fords with a few Toyota and Chevy trucks.
The best or most trouble free were my two 4.9L F150's, the worst was a 1988 Toyota SR5 4 cylinder 4x4 pickup.
I baby my vehicles and most look and run as good as when they were new when I sell them. The Toyota had a trans fail at 800 miles, and again at 1100 miles, and yet again at 4400 miles, (5 speed manual, never towed or abused), the motor lost two rods at idle at 12,800, the upper ball joints failed at 40,000 and at a 73,000 despite 2500 mile service intervals, and the bed rusted through along both inner wheel wells in less than two years despite being garage kept and never in saltwater. The seat springs were shot at 11,000 miles, the dealer told me I was too big for the seat and that they weren't responsible, ( I weighed in at about 250 lbs back then). The dash cracked around the radio, they said I must have kicked it with my foot or knee, which was entirely possible since my knees would hit the dash even with the seat all the way back.
That truck got totalled after being sideswiped by an older Honda Civic in a parking lot, the other car hit the back of my right front wheel and in turn it removed the entire wheel assembly and ripped a 3x4" piece of frame off with it. I was glad to see that one go at that point.

I had bought that truck after buying a driving an older Land cruiser for several years which was all but trouble free other than the fact that it rusted away from the top down.

I gave Toyota another try back in 2000, I bought another pickup, this time with the V6 and an auto trans, the trans failed in the first week, something about a run of bad planetary gears or something, the dealer rebuilt the trans 4 times before finally replacing the unit with a factory reman unit. I was so pissed off that I had just paid for a new truck, and had a used re manufactured trans in it, and so disgusted with the dealer service, I traded it the minute the trans issue was fixed.

I've had all Fords except for two GMC trucks and two Dodge vans since. The Dodge vans both has trans problems, but they were fixed and the problem never returned. The GM Trucks were fine other than one alternator failure at 120,000 miles and a transmission speed sensor at 180,000 on the other one.

The only issues I've had with any of my Ford trucks were a few warped rotors after towing heavy trailers in the mountains, two clutch master cylinders on my Ranger, and one ignition module on that same truck.

After what I've been through with the few Toyota trucks, it's not likely I'd own another one, at least not new or for any serious amount of money.
I'd consider a later GM truck, (after 2000 or so), and would have no problem with any Ford product.
I am 6' 4" tall and 275 lbs these days and find that only the American trucks are truly built to handle a big guy, I drove to NY last week in a late model Toyota Camry, it was one of the most uncomfortable rides I've had in a long time. I probably looked like a clown in the circus getting out of that thing.

I have several buddies that swear by Toyota trucks, and even when the break, it's always that it was a 'minor' problem or a fluke as said above, but never a product defect or that it wasn't up to the task.
The imports will have to go a long way to prove that they can handle the day to day use dished out when towing and hauling weight day in, day out as a work truck. I still don't see a viable competitor to any of the big diesel trucks made by Ford, GM or Dodge.
I drove a new Tundra at a demo event with a 10,000lb trailer, they would only let me run it on their set course which limited it to low speeds. When I asked how it would handle running across a dirt field or gravel road full of holes, they didn't have an answer. The truck felt 'light' for a tow vehicle and seamed to be working pretty hard to get that load moving. It didn't give me the impression that it would hold up doing it every day. When I asked if they made a work truck, regular cab, 8' bed, they said yes, but they didn't have any there. When I found out base price was over $25,000 for a bare bones truck, that ended what little if any interest I had in a new Toyota. The worst part was that I couldn't get a V8 with a long bed? If I wanted a full sized bed, I was stuck with the 4.0L engine. Not much of a choice since I was after a basic truck which could still do some towing. If I wanted the V8, I had to go with a 6 foot bed. Without the option of the V8 and long bed combination, I lost all interest at that point.

Ford has a similar situation with their Ranger, they have never made an extra cab with the long bed, which really limits the usefulness of that truck.
I cannot understand the apparent trend in making trucks with such short beds either, the way I see it, if it won't carry a sheet of plywood, it's not much use to me, some of us still buy a truck to use as a truck. If I want to drive a car, I take my Town Car or Grand Marquis, both of which have been trouble free vehicles.

Personally, as as far as magazine ratings go, I got fed up with the one way, biased info that is printed in most consumer magazines, real world experience speaks for itself. The day that those magazines quit taking advertising money from manufacturers is the day I might start putting some weight on their opinions. It's been a long time since I've read anything that I agree with in Consumer Reports. Most of the things that they seem to dislike about most vehicles is usually what I find to be their best features.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, tundras are primarily ASSEMBLED in the USA. A retard can bolt parts together. But they are still designed by the Japs. Thats why they are durable, reliable vehicles.

The older version of the Tundra was Japanese designed. The new Tundra, for the most part, was actually designed in Ann Arbor, Michigan by a several teams of engineers, some Japanese, but mostly Americans.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I drove a new Tundra at a demo event with a 10,000lb trailer, they would only let me run it on their set course which limited it to low speeds. When I asked how it would handle running across a dirt field or gravel road full of holes, they didn't have an answer. The truck felt 'light' for a tow vehicle and seamed to be working pretty hard to get that load moving. It didn't give me the impression that it would hold up doing it every day.

I drove one too. Loaded with 10K. I got the truck up to 55 mph and the course they ran was a little longer than 5 miles. The truck I drove had 20K miles on it and the trailer was never taken off the hitch. The guy said it had zero tranny and rear end issues, which is amazing because when we turned out on the highway he said to hold it on the floor until I reached 50 mph. How many trucks will take that everyday? Maybe you wasn't impressed, but I was. The 5.7L with 10K behind it will probably out accelerate my 02 4.7L powered Tundra with nothing behind it.

When I found out base price was over $25,000 for a bare bones truck, that ended what little if any interest I had in a new Toyota

Incorrect. The new Tundra starts at $22,390 (retail price before any sales, deals, promotions, ect...).

The worst part was that I couldn't get a V8 with a long bed? If I wanted a full sized bed, I was stuck with the 4.0L engine. Not much of a choice since I was after a basic truck which could still do some towing. If I wanted the V8, I had to go with a 6 foot bed. Without the option of the V8 and long bed combination, I lost all interest at that point.

Incorrect again. The 5.7L is avaible with a long bed in a 2WD or 4WD version. A 4.7L with a long bed in a 2WD or 4WD version and a 4.0L V6 long bed in a 2WD version.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I drove one too. Loaded with 10K. I got the truck up to 55 mph and the course they ran was a little longer than 5 miles. The truck I drove had 20K miles on it and the trailer was never taken off the hitch. The guy said it had zero tranny and rear end issues, which is amazing because when we turned out on the highway he said to hold it on the floor until I reached 50 mph. How many trucks will take that everyday? Maybe you wasn't impressed, but I was. The 5.7L with 10K behind it will probably out accelerate my 02 4.7L powered Tundra with nothing behind it.
When they can do this at 150k plus miles then you can say you've got a truck, judging any thing at 20k miles is worthless.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

When they can do this at 150k plus miles then you can say you've got a truck, judging any thing at 20k miles is worthless.

Actually the 20K it had on it is somewhere around 150K's worth of abuse that a consumer would put it through.

Just think, if you where hauling 10K lbs behind you, you wouldn't hold the accelerator to the floor everytime you took off?....would you? Now imagine 100 or so people doing that on a Saturday and Sunday, every weekend for 20K miles.

I'd say 20K was enough to prove itself.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not even close to being enough. 20k worth of rotations on parts produces no where near the wear that 150k does. Weather it's under full load or not.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Not even close to being enough. 20k worth of rotations on parts produces no where near the wear that 150k does. Weather it's under full load or not.

LOL. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Pulling 10K lbs behind a truck accelerates the wear on every part in the drive train, thats an undeniable fact. Wether it doubles or triples the wear is something only an engineer can figure out. :cool:

reelfishin

Captain

The unavailability of a V8 in a long bed regular cab makes this impossible, they do not offer the 5.7L in this combo, so the towing rating is far less than 10,000lbs at only 5,000lbs with the only engine option of 4.0L. I'm not sure where your looking but even if I go to toyota.com they do not offer the V* option in any such truck. (Maybe different areas have different options?)

Incorrect. The new Tundra starts at $22,390 (retail price before any sales, deals, promotions, ect...).

Not so if you are looking at v8, regular cab long beds, the price is actually over $25k. Unless you want a 6cylinder shortbed with no options. If you want to compare that type of truck, then any of the other big three have them beat by several thousand dollars. Ford's F150 starts at $17,700 and is a far more comfortable and versatile truck in my opinion. I would never buy any full size truck with a V6 though, if I have the need for a full size truck, then I want enough power to use it efficiently.

Incorrect again. The 5.7L is avaible with a long bed in a 2WD or 4WD version. A 4.7L with a long bed in a 2WD or 4WD version and a 4.0L V6 long bed in a 2WD version.

I just went to Toyota's website, it will not allow me to choose a V8 long bed. The V8 option forces me to de select the long bed option. Try choosing a 4x2, regular cab, then long bed, it stops you and won't go any further unless you de-select the long bed AND regular cab. After reading your reply I even called the local dealer and they confirm that they do not offer a plain regular cab V8 with an 8' bed. The V8 only is available in an extended cab short bed. I also notice that you can not get a manual trans, so that puts the Toyota even further down my list as viable truck options.

I was at the local Ford dealer the other day, they had a 4x2 long bed with a V8 (4.6L) with AC with a sticker price of $21,300, and it could be had for $18,500 or better. The local Toyota dealer didn't even have a full sized truck on the lot that wasn't fully loaded and over $35k.
I do notice that GM and Ford both dropped the manual trans option and that GMC is about $500 lower than Ford in base price for a V8 long bed truck with AC. If I were to buy a truck today, I'd probably lean toward the GM truck for both comfort, price and fuel mileage. I've driven both the Ford and GMC trucks and the GMC got consistently over 20MPG with a 4.8L engine.
The Ford had trouble getting 15 mpg. Both had similar rear ratios and about 5,000 miles on them.

The Ford however seemed to be a bit heavier duty and seamed to take weight in the bed and tongue weight better. The GMC seamed less affected mileage wise when towing a small boat.

I normally wouldn't ever even look past Ford for a new truck, but after having used both, the GMC right now seems to be the better all around choice. It also feels stronger powerwise although specs don't support that if you look at the magazine ratings but they rarely test real world base model trucks.

I can't see buying a truck that's all loaded up just to use to tow a boat out to go fishing and then have to worry about ruining the interior. I like rubber mats, vinyl seats and manual windows. I like to know that in 20 years or so I won't have to be replacing the interior or carpet or worrying about whether or not the power option pieces are still available.
A lot of these reasons is why I've hung onto my 1994 and 1980 trucks. If I want comfort and luxury, I'll drive my Town Car or Grand Marquis, both of which get over 20 mpg. (The Grand Marquis got 26.6 on the last tank of gas with a combination of city and highway driving).

I also got the impression from the Toyota dealer that you get what they got and got all sorts of complaints about wanting a V8, regular cab, the sales guy kept on about me really wanting a 4 door with a short bed. All he did was tick me off to the point I just walked out. At leas the Ford and GMC dealers knew something about spec'ing out a new work truck. Even they were surprised that Toyota didn't make a V8 in the standard truck. The one salesman at the Ford dealer even went online to see for himself. I guess that's why the F150 has been on top for so many years.

i386

Captain

Toyota is a relative newcomer and unproven player in the full-sized truck market. They just haven't been in the game long enough to be in as many markets as Ford.

I have a Titan...
I believe Nissan has some long bed work trucks. I think they have the early kinks mostly worked out now (brakes and rear end). It's a very good engine and frame. I don't think the body panels are as tough as Ford's and I know for a fact the paint isn't as thick. I wanted a luxury suv that could tow and haul and that's pretty what I got with the Titan LE. I don't think I would choose it to take a beating though if I was looking for a tough truck. It's almost as nice as a King Ranch (though not as tough) but about $10K less. Maybe next time. I really couldn't say either way about the Tundra.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

reelfishin: One of our local veterinarians pretty much agrees with your post. I noticed once that the three trucks he runs for calls were all different. He has a 3/4T Dodge, Ford, and Chevy and they're all diesels. I found that to be quite unique, so I asked him what he thought of all three. He said that he thought the Dodge pulled the hardest, the Chevy was the most comfortable, and the Ford was in the middle in both regards.

I think the best setup is an extended cab with a long bed. Our F150 is setup that way. Of our diesels, our F250 is a crew cab SB and we miss the extra bed length and our F450 is an extended cab with a Bradford Built tow body. I love the fact that with the extended cab I can see the gooseneck ball from the driver's seat...

reelfishin

Captain

reelfishin: One of our local veterinarians pretty much agrees with your post. I noticed once that the three trucks he runs for calls were all different. He has a 3/4T Dodge, Ford, and Chevy and they're all diesels. I found that to be quite unique, so I asked him what he thought of all three. He said that he thought the Dodge pulled the hardest, the Chevy was the most comfortable, and the Ford was in the middle in both regards.

I think the best setup is an extended cab with a long bed. Our F150 is setup that way. Of our diesels, our F250 is a crew cab SB and we miss the extra bed length and our F450 is an extended cab with a Bradford Built tow body. I love the fact that with the extended cab I can see the gooseneck ball from the driver's seat...

I like the regular cab for towing since it make backing in tight places a bit easier and they work better in the city. It also keeps the truck from doing double duty as a passenger vehicle, saving both wear and tear on my tow vehicle and saving gas. I rarely tow my boat with more than one passenger, but a full size truck can still carry three if needed.

The Ford diesel trucks, F250 and 350 seem to have better brakes than the Dodge or GM trucks, or maybe just a better feel when loaded. The GM front end don't seem as stout but it rides much better. The Dodge is fast off the line but the most abrasive ride. It also seems to lack long term pulling power on long hills. It also gets the least MPG in real world use. The GM is probably tops in the MPG category from what I've seen myself and from what buddies with various trucks keep saying. I do like the straight 6 engine design best, and it's more than enough power for anything I'd ever do and then some but I'm leery on the rest of the truck. Ford seems to make a better quality interior and chassis overall.

One thing I had always even wished is for an even longer bed on an extra cab, maybe a 10 or 12' bed, but the closest we've ever come to that is a few custom jobs from Centurion back in the late 80's or so. I generally need more cargo area than interior space. I guess it's why I've hung onto my Dodge vans so long with the extended body. It allows me to carry 12' lumber with the doors closed and I can squeeze in 14' with the partition door open.
The vans drawback is it's 13 mpg fuel usage but until I find something better that makes it worth me upgrading them, I can't see spending $28K per truck to save some gas, it wouldn't work out in the long run cost wise since the Dodges just don't get used that much these days. It would be nice to have something that can carry that size lumber yet get good mileage and not put me in the red with new vehicle payments.
I do wish these were Ford Vans with 300 ci straight six motors. At least then I'd be in the 18 MPG range. I had one older Ford with a 300 that did well but I let it go when it hit 360,000 miles or so. I couldn't see chancing running a truck with that high mileage, one breakdown or tow would have exceeded the vans value at that point. It had served me well and is still being used. It ran fine but the body was rough and the chassis was getting well worn, and on top of all that, I really didn't need three vans.
I cut back to just one these days, business slowed and I was able to unload one of the Dodge vans so I let the older one go. I kept the 1996 with only 55,000 miles on it.
If business picks back up, I'll consider finding something else, but for now I'm glad to be rid of that fuel bill.

As far as Nissan, I see a lot of used ones for sale around here, a buddy of mine has a Titan and likes the truck in general but isn't thrilled about it's mileage since it's his only vehicle. I'm not too fond of the 4 door super short bed layout on his, it's not much of a truck when you need to carry something.
They're also priced a lot higher than a comparable Ford or Chevy too. The Nissan also does not offer a regular cab truck and like the others, no manual transmission. The base price for their shortest cab and a long bed is around $24K, which is a big jump from a Ford or GMC when your spec'ing out a work truck. The first two work trucks I bought new were back in 1986, a pair of regular cab, long bed 6cylinder 4 spd manual Ford F150's with air, power steering and power brakes being the only options. I also remember getting the pair of them for just under $14k out the door. Two years later I bought a Ford Van with auto and Air for around $8900 with the same 300 I6 motor. All three of them ran for over 250k with only a trans in the van and some minor maintenance. I only wish I could buy any of those truck again today.
They were perfect with no real issues, they were affordable, good driving vehicles that got good mileage. Today, everything out there is plastic loaded and made idiot proof which drives up the price even more. I've yet to be convinced that any of these newer models can hold a candle work or longevity wise to any of those older trucks. The Dodge vans aren't bad trucks, just hard on fuel, but they are 1 ton trucks. Those 1986 F150's were well built and just ran and ran with no problems. Back then I would have laughed if anyone told me that one day we'd all be looking at pickup trucks with a $50,000 or better price tag. ( A buddy of mine just brought home a brand new 2008 F350 Diesel 4x4 crew cab fully loaded with EVERYTHING, proudly displaying a sticker price of $58,997). The bad thing is that even my oldest truck will take me to the same place that his new one will, and I don't have to care who I park next too.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Back then I would have laughed if anyone told me that one day we'd all be looking at pickup trucks with a $50,000 or better price tag. ( A buddy of mine just brought home a brand new 2008 F350 Diesel 4x4 crew cab fully loaded with EVERYTHING, proudly displaying a sticker price of $58,997). The bad thing is that even my oldest truck will take me to the same place that his new one will, and I don't have to care who I park next too.

Must be a King Ranch F350...that's why our last truck purchase was the cab chassis diesel. An F350 would do anything I needed to do, but the F450s are a whole lot less expensive, have considerably better brakes (you should see the size of the rear discs and calipers) and you can put whatever bed on them you want. Something to think about anyway...

i386

Captain

Back when I was truck shopping I looked at F150's, Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Toyota Tundra, and Nissan Titan. I wasn't looking for a work truck though. I was looking for more of a luxury package.

Each lot I went to, I had pass over the luxury model to find something in my price range. Anything with leather was stickered at 36K or even more for the GMC and Tundra (which must be made of solid gold). The loaded Titan was 32K and I got out the door with it for about 28K. That was a year ago. And we're not talking work trucks here so I know it not a direct comparison.

I just now priced trucks similarly equipped to mine from GM, Ford, and Nissan and they were all around 36K. This isn't factoring in any incentive programs they might be having. I know Ford started having some really good ones after I bought my truck.

Things I like about my truck...

The leather captains chairs are really nice.
The sound system is great (10 speakers, subwoofer, 6disc, XM)
Plenty of storage compartments and power outlets. Really well thought out.
Memory settings for seat, mirrors, and pedal height. (wife is a little one)
Electric folding mirrors are nice for where I park at work.
Electric rear window.
The tie-down system in the bed is GREAT.
Factory sprayed in bed-lines seems really tough though I haven't abused it enough to find out for sure.
There's a lockable compartment behind the fender in the bed that I keep. my hitches, straps, jumper cables, etc...
The tailgate closes easily with one hand.
It hauls ***** when you need it to.:D
It was made in Canton Miss. There are a few guys on my truck forum that work in the plant. They like their job and are proud of the trucks they make.

Things I don't like...

The A-pillars. You have to do a lot of head manuvering to see around them.
The rear springs. They make the back end look jacked up. You would think this would help with towing, but when I hook up to the ChrisCraft I can feel it bouncing back there. (In fairness, I haven't checked the toungue weight or tried to balance it yet. Only towed it once).
The gas mileage isn't very good on this 5.6L. I get around 15MPG.
The paint quality is not as good as any of the other trucks I looked at. I don't think it's sprayed as thick and there's a slight orange peel if you look really close.
Profits going over seas while I see domestic auto makers struggling.