Susquahanna River around York, PA

vroom4

Cadet
Hola guys/girls,

Just bought my first boat at age 18, a 19ft bayliner with a 125hp force outboard. Im looking to take it out for the first time soon and wanted to know if there were any experienced boaters in the York, PA area that go on the Susquehanna river that wouldnt mind hanging out for an hour or two on a weekend morning or day to show me some tricks or help me with the little stuff.

Im pretty intelligent, but I just dont want to make any costly mistakes.

Thanks Guys/girls,

Garrett:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Susquahanna River around York, PA

I'd be happy too. I boat mostly down on the Conowingo area of the Susquehanna (Peach Bottom) and have been going out down there my whole life. My uncle has a cabin down there. I've gone out twice now down at Lake Clarke/Long Level because it's closer to home. Everything seems to be well marked and the public ramps are decent. I have a nice overview message about Lake Clarke that I received from another member on here that I can forward to you.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

We go out on the Susquehanna (lake clarke) almost every weekend. I wanted to go out today (sat) but there is a missing body in that area of the river and my wife refused to go out today, I guess she thinks it is going to get her.

I am going out Sunday no matter what. Im not a outboard guy but if you need any tips or directions to safe local boating areas let me know. Its nice to start seeing local people on here.

Denny

vroom4

Cadet

We go out on the Susquehanna (lake clarke) almost every weekend. I wanted to go out today (sat) but there is a missing body in that area of the river and my wife refused to go out today, I guess she thinks it is going to get her.

I am going out Sunday no matter what. Im not a outboard guy but if you need any tips or directions to safe local boating areas let me know. Its nice to start seeing local people on here.

Denny

We went up and checked out lake clarke today. It was kinda busy and didnt want to take my boat out for the first time while the water was flowing that fast.

We are heading up to raystown tommorow. Hopefully they find that one arm'd man!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking about Lake Clarke too...

I almost went today but decided to work on the boat so that it would be more fun this weekend when I want to go.

What are some tips to know about Lake Clarke as I have never boated there. I found the Long Level Marina website its pretty helpful.

I heard about the missing man... hopefully he is no longer missing.

I'm about 1.5hrs from Lake Clarke, and 2hrs from Raystown... wishing there was a place closer allowing more than electrics.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Here's some great info on Lake Clarke that dgopetactical PM'd me a while ago:

"Hello, I go there about every weekend. In the process of painting my boat so hopefully my season will start in the next 2 weeks. Out in the middle there is plenty of room a constant 12' of water and goes to 70' = near the dam. I would say you have around 5 mi of running room. Never seems crowded, again lots of room. The coast guard aux patrols the area and 95% of the dangers are marked. don't go near the islands gets shallow quick(the channel is marked) plenty of marinas in the area in case of mechanical issues.

Once your done tubing and running around go anchor between rookery and shad island to the north a lot of boats hand out there since the bottom is sandy. 2-6' of water and a great place to swim and hangout. there is a bunch of islands in the middle to the north of shad island 3/4 mi. I would use caution going up there 5'- of water. I run a 20' stingray cuddy and I prefer deep water anything below 5' makes me nervous. By the way the fishing sucks there.

I feel real safe there and would recommend to everyone."

I'm working on replacing my transom right now but it's going well and I'm hoping to be back on the water in about a week or so. I'll be heading out at Lake Clarke for a while before I take the boat down to Conowingo.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks!

That information is very useful.

I just wonder what he meant when he said the fishing sucks? I'm more into maintaining tight lines. I guess a wet line is closer to being tight than a dry line.

Thanks again!

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks!

That information is very useful.

I just wonder what he meant when he said the fishing sucks? I'm more into maintaining tight lines. I guess a wet line is closer to being tight than a dry line.

Thanks again!

What I ment was I never see alot of action. A few nice size catfish every now and then. It is a huge area and after a few years of going there I still have not found the honey hole yet.. I went out with my dad not to long ago and fished from the boat all night on the edge of the chanel (10 hours) had underwater lights set up and the whole nine yards. caught 4 flat heads and 3 channel between 2 of us and you never see too many people fishing just alot of recrational boating. Other than the fishing it is a great place.

Denny

vroom4

Cadet

Hey guys, I will be out near otter creek this weekend tubing and fishing out of my 19 foot bayliner. If anybody else is going to be out, throw me your phone # and ill respond with mine incase anybody needs some assistance(mostly me! lol).

Hope to see you out!

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, I will be out near otter creek this weekend tubing and fishing out of my 19 foot bayliner. If anybody else is going to be out, throw me your phone # and ill respond with mine incase anybody needs some assistance(mostly me! lol).

Hope to see you out!

Otter creek you meen Raystown right? I would like to get out there sometime this summer but I think I will stick to the river for the next week or 2. Its a 2 hr drive V.S a 40 min drive for for basicly the same thing.:D

Denny

aspeck

Staff member

Otter Creek? Where are you talking about?

Raystown surface temps are in the lower 60's still ... (62 yeasterday at 7 Points). Cooler day today and supposed to be in the 40's the next couple of nights, so it is still a bit chilly for swimming, but fishing should be getting REAL good in a week or two.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't think you could use a boat of that size in the Otter Creek/Lake Aldred area? I haven't been there myself though.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry I had a brain fart, I was thinking of a boat ramp at raystown Lake. My mistake.

aspeck

Staff member

Sndyer's Run, Shy Beaver, 7 Points, Aitch, James Creek, Tatman Run, Rothrock, and Weaver's Falls are your choices at Raystown.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you put in down below the Holwood Dam, you have a lot more room, deeper water and the fishing is pretty good.

vroom4

Cadet

Well all your comments on raystown are good.

But Otter Creek I speak of is on the susqi right above lake clare.

It is an awesome boat launch that was not busy at all on memorial day weekend.

aspeck

Staff member

Cool, always good to learn a new boat launch! And one that is not crowded on a major holiday is even better!

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Well all your comments on raystown are good.

But Otter Creek I speak of is on the susqi right above lake clare.

It is an awesome boat launch that was not busy at all on memorial day weekend.

I know where your talking about now.. never been there.....News says..boating is discouraged in that area for a few weeks due to low water level due to dam flash board repairs......"rockhall" how deep is the water down there? was always told Lake clake had the deepest and safest water on the river... Thats why I stick between there and raystown + the bay later this summer.

Goldsboro by three mile island (lake fredrick) is 2 miles from my home it would be nice to go there but I here horor stories about the rocks there. I dont mess around in shallow water...
Denny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It would be hard to find an area safer than on Conowingo from Peach Bottom Nuclear down to the Conowingo damn. Completely open, deep and I would guess 2-3 times longer than Lake Clarke. Up river from the nuke plant there are rocks but I've been boating in that area my whole life so I know where MOST of them are :)

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

It would be hard to find an area safer than on Conowingo from Peach Bottom Nuclear down to the Conowingo damn. Completely open, deep and I would guess 2-3 times longer than Lake Clarke. Up river from the nuke plant there are rocks but I've been boating in that area my whole life so I know where MOST of them are :)

Sometime this summer I would like to try that place out