Irresponsible Parents!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Irresponsible Parents!

We had the same problem as CATtransplant. Ours stopped after somebody applied a filleting knife to the sidewalls (can't be repaired) of 2 of those $400 apiece tires.

While tempting, destroying stuff can lead to serious consequences. If the point is to get the message across, it's better to do it in a non-destructive, reversible way, I think.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

And that is exactly what is wrong with the world these days. Therapy. Trauma. Yeah, the kid needs a good trauma, boot up the keyster type of trauma, by his parents. Way to go ddennis!

totally agree with you. I never said I agreed with the trauma therapy just that it could happen.
funny I was explaining to my son last night that if he rear ended a car on his motorcycle they would probably go to the hosp and sue for neck and back injuries even if no damage to the car. it's the world we live in, always watch your back, because someone else is definitely trying to knife it.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

we have one on our country road that is topping our hill at over 100 moh on a reg basis.
I think he may actually be the county sheriffs kid, or at least knows him. It's awful funny he knows when the cop is sitting on the other side of the hill and so doesn't fly over.
He almost got me while walking my dog once.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I learned not to do that stuff the old fashioned way.

My parents beat me.

A guy I knew years ago got a harley. He thought speeding around his neighborhood was cool ( small kids everywhere). He had a habit of gunning it up to about 60 mph. A neighbor on this street decided to teach him a lesson so just as the harley got up speed he very quickly started to back out into the street. It scared the chit outa of him. You know if you back out in front of a speeding motorcycle going that much over the speed limit theres no way the cops can charge you at being at fault.....It slowed him down.

Godsgift2drums

Seaman Apprentice

A guy I knew years ago got a harley. He thought speeding around his neighborhood was cool ( small kids everywhere). He had a habit of gunning it up to about 60 mph. A neighbor on this street decided to teach him a lesson so just as the harley got up speed he very quickly started to back out into the street.

I don't think deliberately endangering human life is worth ANY kind of lesson.

The guy didnt back out into the street. He just made the speeder who was endangering childrens lives THINK that he was going to back out. I would do the same thing.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Deliberately endangering a human life is what a guy on a Harley at 60 mph would do in a neighborhood.

204 Escape

Ensign

A few years back, we had a kid in a Mustang, that just loved to speed by my house on his way to the ball field. I stopped him 3 times, and I polietly ask him to slow down. 3 times he told me where to go.

SO, I stopped the local PD and I ask him to talk to him. The "supposedly di talk to him". I told them that if he hit my kids while riding their bikes in the street, (my kids wear helmets, and know the right way to bicycle in the street), there would be a killing taking place. The cop (whom I know), said, "I believe the problem is handled". Well a day later, the same car/kid was driving by as usual, ........FAST !!

I called the cops again. I told him I wanted to fill out a complaint. I was refused the opportunity.

SO, I went to the garage, got a 2 X 6 some 16 penny nails, a eye hook, and about 50' or rope.

With the nails, drove into the board, a lawn chair, a cam corder and a little patience, the kid comes by. He flips me off, cusses me, lights up his tires, and drives around the block like he's qualifying for Daytona. The second trip around the block, I drag the 2 X 6 across the road in front of the car, instant 4 flat tires.

Shorter version, I ended up in court the kid wanting me to pay for his tires. The judge, talked to the cop, and ask WHY I couldn't have signed a complaint, and the cop didn't really give a good answer. Ticked the judge off.

When my turn came to speak, I told him all of the above, and showed the judge the video.

The judge ruled in MY FAVOR. It helped that I had a dated video, and had previously called the cops. I think that as many holes that were in the tires, he probably had to buy new ones.

Bottom line.............. The kid don't speed by here any more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

I had a friend who's father lived on a dead-end road where two kids were always speeding by. So one day after they go by he backs his truck across the road so they can't get back out. When they come back and stop at his truck, he shot their tires out with a rifle. The kids ran off. When the cops got there, he still had the rifle in his hands. The cops shot and killed him.

Be aware that things can escalate quickly.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, to clarify a few things:

I did not at any time exhibit aggression when I was stopped on the side of the road. I was truly concerned about the health and well being of the child I almost killed! I was about 30 feet from her when she came out of the woods, I had stopped, engaged my flashers and sprinted to the area where she entered the woods. I was sure she would need advanced first aid but luckily I was wrong. She walked out.

If the mother, father, or any other adult had said something along the lines of "she knew better and this will never happen again" I would have went along my merry way and never had been heard from again. But that did not happen and I am still considering what to do next. I live in Alabama and the laws here are a little laid back so I could still persue this if I wanted to.

I think I will be stopping by this house the next time I head out to the marina though. I have some things I need to get off my chest!

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

OK, to clarify a few things:

I did not at any time exhibit aggression when I was stopped on the side of the road. I was truly concerned about the health and well being of the child I almost killed! I was about 30 feet from her when she came out of the woods, I had stopped, engaged my flashers and sprinted to the area where she entered the woods. I was sure she would need advanced first aid but luckily I was wrong. She walked out.

Getting out of the vehicle is an act of aggression, even if you had the best intentions.

If the mother, father, or any other adult had said something along the lines of "she knew better and this will never happen again" I would have went along my merry way and never had been heard from again. But that did not happen and I am still considering what to do next. I live in Alabama and the laws here are a little laid back so I could still persue this if I wanted to.

Talking to them at all beyond the "are you ok" is another act of aggression, and confronting them the way you did, was even more aggressive.

I think I will be stopping by this house the next time I head out to the marina though. I have some things I need to get off my chest!

It's not worth getting killed over... let it go, or the thing that you may need to get off your chest is a few bullets. Is it really worth dieing for, just to read someone the self-righteous riot act?

We've all done stupid stuff... they already know what they did was stupid. They don't need some jackass (no offense meant, but from their point of view, that's exactly what you would be if you went back) to tell them it was stupid.

If you really want to pick a fight with someone... go to a boxing ring... at least there you have reasonable assurances that as long as you're not fighing mike tyson you won't get shot or stabbed, or have your ear bitten off.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Getting out of the vehicle is an act of aggression, even if you had the best intentions.

If my reacting to the health and well being of a child that came within a few feet of dying could be considered an act of aggression then so be it. That entire family needs some aggression!

Talking to them at all beyond the "are you ok" is another act of aggression, and confronting them the way you did, was even more aggressive.

At first, the only question I had was "Is she alright?"

It's not worth getting killed over... let it go, or the thing that you may need to get off your chest is a few bullets. Is it really worth dieing for, just to read someone the self-righteous riot act?

Trust me, no one will have a chance to kill me! This is the south and we have very generous concealed carry laws. At no time was I in fear of my life and I am not in fear of my life now. Now, I was concerned for my general well being when I saw the husband but he was at least 300 yards away and appeared to be disinterested.............. Which is my main point.

We've all done stupid stuff... they already know what they did was stupid. They don't need some jackass (no offense meant, but from their point of view, that's exactly what you would be if you went back) to tell them it was stupid.

Well, this Jackass wholly believes that these people have no Idea what almost transpired. All they saw was their daughter went across a road and into the woods on a 4 wheeler.

If you are wondering, I have stopped by the house and I spoke with both of the parents. I explained that they live less than 5 miles from a marina and many people are towing heavy boats on their road. I also explained the horror I felt when I thought that I may be responsible for a child's death. I was very graphic on this point. The parents were a little taken back and promised me that this would not happen again. I said that I hope not because the outcome may not be as good in the future. I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

On memorial day I was on my way home from the marina (after getting rained out) and I noticed a small 4 wheeler for sale in the yard of the house where all of this transpired. I can only hope that the sale was explained fully to the daughter and she understood the value of life.

If you really want to pick a fight with someone... go to a boxing ring... at least there you have reasonable assurances that as long as you're not fighing mike tyson you won't get shot or stabbed, or have your ear bitten off.

If I want to pick A fight trust me I know where to go! This was not fight picking! This was trying to make sure a young girl made it to adult hood. As I said in my first post, my mother corrected my riding my bike into the street without looking as soon as she noticed it. Maybe parents these days need to look back on their childhoods....................... I need these kids to live long lives! Social Security is in great danger even without them dying young:p

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

you forgot to mention that when we were kids people tended to mind their own business and not think they had the right to tell others how to raise their kids.

I like my boat quite a bit but I like my ATVs even more. I've even taken the time to talk to some younger fellas about their riding style, or where they chose to ride. not for my own redemption though simply to help them enjoy the sport more w/o getting into trouble. my son has been on the state dnr magazine and in a couple manuf publications for motorcycles. i have a little knowledge about the sport and it's dangers. Funny I had a guy complain about how my son was riding once. I took him straight to the DNR for a lesson in state laws and riding regulations. He left after apologizing to my son. unfortunately the young girl here will not get to enjoy the sport anymore.

Hopefully now that they've changed their lives for you, the dad who made you feel somewhat concerned, won't decide to have a few friends over and enjoy some adult beverages and then go find the guy who thinks he can tell them how to live.
as long as that doesn't happen, continue to pat yourself on the back for helping someone see the error of their ways but not living their life up to your standards. sorry but I choose to live my life outside the normal confines of accepted standards. Not bothering anyone else just different, and I hate it when someone says I should change, just because my picket fence isn't white like theirs.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

The "normal confines of accepted standards" you refer to, is generally known as common sense. If you choose to live life without it. So be it. Gene pool could always stand a cleansing every now and then. Luckily for us, the ones who "choose to live outside the normal confines of accepted standards" do the cleaning on their own.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

The "normal confines of accepted standards" you refer to, is generally known as common sense. If you choose to live life without it. So be it. Gene pool could always stand a cleansing every now and then. Luckily for us, the ones who "choose to live outside the normal confines of accepted standards" do the cleaning on their own.

obviously you have no idea what I'm talking about.
things like I chose to rent rather then buy a house, chose not to get married etc. not much for common sense there just a different life.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

you forgot to mention that when we were kids people tended to mind their own business and not think they had the right to tell others how to raise their kids.

I like my boat quite a bit but I like my ATVs even more. I've even taken the time to talk to some younger fellas about their riding style, or where they chose to ride. not for my own redemption though simply to help them enjoy the sport more w/o getting into trouble. my son has been on the state dnr magazine and in a couple manuf publications for motorcycles. i have a little knowledge about the sport and it's dangers. Funny I had a guy complain about how my son was riding once. I took him straight to the DNR for a lesson in state laws and riding regulations. He left after apologizing to my son. unfortunately the young girl here will not get to enjoy the sport anymore.

Hopefully now that they've changed their lives for you, the dad who made you feel somewhat concerned, won't decide to have a few friends over and enjoy some adult beverages and then go find the guy who thinks he can tell them how to live.
as long as that doesn't happen, continue to pat yourself on the back for helping someone see the error of their ways but not living their life up to your standards. sorry but I choose to live my life outside the normal confines of accepted standards. Not bothering anyone else just different, and I hate it when someone says I should change, just because my picket fence isn't white like theirs.

So, you are comparing someone that did not instruct and supervise a child in the operation of a potentially deadly "toy" to your self, who is well versed in the safety aspects of ATV's? I asked no one to change their life. I explained a situation and they responded on their own accord. Live your life how you want, but when it infringes on the safety of others be prepared for the backlash. What if I had rolled the jeep trying to avoid her? It would not have been a friendly conversation. It would have been a legal proceeding.

By the way, my fence is a privacy fence, is not painted and contains a 65 lb lab that would be glad for someone that had been partaking of some adult beverages to come over to "play" :D

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

obviously you have no idea what I'm talking about.
things like I chose to rent rather then buy a house, chose not to get married etc. not much for common sense there just a different life.

The safety of a child, or adult for that matter, are no where near related to the decision to buy a house. One is common sense. The other is a lifestyle choice.

Sleepo

Cadet

I would have yelled at the girl to have gone faster,jump the road and hold on and not let go. It would have at least looked cool from your point of view.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

the comparison was simply that other people are always willing to tell you how they think you should live your life and raise your kids or mow your lawn or.....

common sense, that's easy a very overloaded jeep traveling at highway speeds is the epitome of what not to do if you have common sense. Jeep is rated for 5K boat weighs 4600 yeah lots of lee way there for fuel, water, gear, people, etc. not even close. Had you rolled the jeep and the state boys weighed you, you would have been overloaded and at fault.
Don't know about Ala but in Wis drivers assume full responsibiliy for children on roads. Another words kids are very unpredictable and you need to watch for them at all times. If you hit one regardless of the situation you are at fault.
Her riding was definitely dangerous. I myself probably would have stopped and talked to her first and probably her parents. You on the other hand chose to go back for a second round just to inform them you may still pursue this legally? Because of their fear of a lawsuit or charges because of you she loses the quad. How did you help? You did not help her ride safely, you did not help them parent more responsibly. You simply judged their life style and complained until they gave in and sold the quad. No help what so ever.
Not meaning to slam just telling you my honest opinion. As I said I have talked to people about their riding, even tore into one parent (he had brand new gear head to foot while he allowed his 5ish yr old son to ride in shorts w/o even a helmet). Your contniued reference to what could have happened to you seems to be your true concern, truth told (this is an assumption) if you got the Jeep with that trailer stopped without crashing you had plenty of time. Had it been a panic stop it would have pushed you off the road or at least into a jack knife.
Granted I don't have a ton of experience towing, only pulling snowmobiles, boat, atvs, 26 foot camper, and every now and then a 40' flat bed with a Peterbilt tractor. Going more then 80% of your towing capacity of any vehicle is generally speaking overloaded.
Luckily no one was hurt. Unfortunately she loses the quad instead of getting proper training.