1961 Evinrude Lark III Manual Shift Problems

bgpeant

Recruit
This is all new to me. Finnaly talked wife into getting a boat. Got a 1968 16' Ward's Sea King w/1961 Evinrude Lark III 40hp motor manual shift. Model #35524 Ser.#14661. Took It out the first time and it overheated had to row back to shore. Got it home and put a new water pump in it. Second trip out motor ran fine but as we were going in forward there was an occasional bump to the motor. Decided to turn for the ramp (did not want to row again). About halfway back the motor would not go in foward at all and made a bad grinding sound. Reverse worked fine had to go backwards to get to the ramp. Got home took the lower unit off to check the gears to make sure they were not stripped. Everything looked great no apparent damage to the gears and no shavings in the oil. Put it back together and checked the linkage in the driveway. It felt as if it was shifting properly i.e. the prop would not move when put in foward or reverse but spun free in neutral. Third trip out reverse worked to get off the trailer. put it in forward to go to the dock and it only worked for about 15 feet. then made the grinding sound again then quite making any noise at all. Reverse only worked some of the time and aslo made the same grinding noise. I am pretty mechanically inclined but this is stummping me as I cannot figure out how to correct this problem any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DCT

Cadet
Re: 1961 Evinrude Lark III Manual Shift Problems

If all of the parts in the lower unit look ok, you may have a stripped hub in the prop.

DCT

Cadet

If all of the parts in the lower unit look ok, you may have a stripped hub in the prop.

bgpeant

Recruit

I thought of that and also tried a second prop

CATransplant

Admiral

Try removing the cable from the controls and shifting manually at the lake. If it shifts OK in that situation, you may have to adjust the cable.<br /><br />If it does not, pull the inspection panel that covers the shift rod coupler and check that out. If you did not get the shift rod fully inserted in the upper coupler, it will cause this symptom.<br /><br />The rod must be inserted into the coupler so that the groove in the rod matches the hole in the coupler. It's quite easy to tighten the coupler screw with the rod only partly inserted. That prevents the shifter from pulling the rod up sufficiently to engage the forward gear. Reverse is never affected since the rod pushes down to select reverse.<br /><br />My guess is that this is where your problem lies, since you had the lower unit off to change the impeller. The same thing happened to me.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

BG - After you make sure the shift rod is correctly inserted into the shift coupler, and it still doesn't stay in forward, it is time to check the cogs on the shift dog. Check to assure the edges are not rounded off, as this will cause the slippage you described. Also check the edges of the gears whe it meets the shift dog. You can turn the dog around and switch the gears around, provided the other sides are in better shape (it hasn't been done already).

CATransplant

Admiral

Since he said it made a racheting noise, it sounds more to me like it wasn't fully engaged. I'm betting on the shift rod.<br /><br />I've seen 'em jump out of gear when the dogs are rounded, but he apparently had no problem before changing his impeller. Now he's not shifting into forward and gets a racheting sound. It's the shift rod, I'm almost certain.