Wagner Power Painter Wide Shot 2200psi

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
Well, airless sprayers get such bad rap around here (from reading other posts, everyone says throw them in the trash) so figured I'd post my experience.

I roll/tipped my 21ft trailer yesterday with an (unthinned) alkyd enamel - took about 3 hours for 2 coats, including using a brush for the detail work at the seams and crevices that the roller couldn't get. It looked OK, no sags. I did about 1/3 of the hull on my Starcraft for giggles, it took about an hour (2 coats, and needs another). Very achy last night.

Today, put the same paint in my new-in-the-box airless painter and tested it on some cardboard. Looked good, so didn't change any flow settings. Painted the whole trailer, including all the nooks and crannies in about 10 minutes. Took 15 minutes to clean up though. Paint has a few sags in it - I'm sure it's from operator error though - not moving fast enough. I'll work on my technique.

Conclusion - I'll definitely use this in the future to paint my boat instead of rolling.

After painting 4 motorcycles and a truck with alkyd enamels, I know the more it's thinned, the less gloss it develops (without wetsanding/polishing - that's a whole other route). An airless sprayer is the only way I know of to spray unthinned paint. I've only used high pressure siphon guns in the past (and many of them, under different pressures, and different amounts of thinning).

Plus, they make that cool buzzing noise that echoes through the neighborhood.

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Wagner Power Painter Wide Shot 2200psi

Not sure on the hand held Wagner Sprayers if they come with different nozzle selections. I am sure that they are set up out of the box to spray latex (which they do horribly). If that is the case, they are going to throw out a hellacious amount of enamel. As you found out, you blink and you get runs.

I bought a Wagner airless to do the enamel trim in the house. I had to move so fast as it pumped out a gallon of paint in less than ten minutes. For the next stage, I bought a smaller nozzle with a narrower spray band.

Mine, however, was the one that had 2 gallon paint tray on top and a 25 foot hose with spray nozzle gun at the end of it. It was slick with enamel but I would not try to use it with latex.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

I've got 1 with a 2 gallon backpack.....

I painted the Inside, all the Bilges in this boat with it.... Works Great with Thick paint......
f17879.jpg

drewpster

Commander

I also own a Wagner 2200. I used to paint three homes so far. (Mine, Mominlaw, and my latest home) I found out a trick in using one for latex. My father hated his until I recommended he use Floetrol. It worked great in helping the paint flow through the gun. You can find it at homelowesdepot kinda places. It is specifically for latex paints. You add a little of it while mixing the paint. I love it for house painting. Makes the job go much faster.
I have never tried it on any other paint. I am worried I will poison myself using the wrong mask or respirator filters or something. Makes sense to me that it would work well on just about any thick paint.

WizeOne

Commander

Yeah DrewP, Floetrol does help but it aint cheap. It is also only for water based paints. If you need something to smooth out solvent based enamels, use penetrol. Penetrol is especially good when brushing enamel. It makes it flow easier and leaves fewer brush marks.

But still, for spraying latex, there is nothing like 3300 psi created by a reciprocating piston.

Coors

Captain

I gave an airless away, after trying latex; didn't know the trick.

WizeOne

Commander

I gave an airless away, after trying latex; didn't know the trick.

IMHO Floetrol is still a very nominal solution for these little sprayers. I wouldn't loose any sleep over having given it away Coors. After all, that is why they make $800+ 3300 psi piston powered airlesses for spraying latex. I daresay that if those little diaphragm units, at $100 per, would do a satisfactory job the big ones $$$$ wouldn't sell and the guys who know would not be using them.

I think that there are three gross crimes that industry has played on us. One is WD40, 2nd is Armoural and the third is Wagner handheld airless sprayers (for latex)

Coors

Captain

Don't forget the rising price of Seafoam.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

[UPDATE]:

Just painted the hull of my 18 footer with this thing. Testing it out beforehand, with the volume knob turned down, it did spatter a lot. I got the best results (well, the only acceptable results) with the knob at maximum flow. Thus, you need to move quickly when spraying.

Got a few runs on the vertical surfaces - I'll sand them out before the next coat. I'd suggest you practice first, or paint the inconspicuous areas first to get the hang of it.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

jp.... dying to know what colors you went with and cant wait to see pics

Robbo22

Seaman Apprentice

Just a heads up for y'all regarding airless sprayers...These guns work at extremely high tip pressures, doctors are dealing with folk who have accidentally been injected with paint deep into their skin and surrounding tissue.,,,this often results in amputation of the affected area, mainly fingers.

If this happens to you the injection site will just resemble a small cut, dont leave it, get immediate medical advice...this is a serious injury......the wound will become gangrenous.

Google "airless sprayer/amputations" youll find dozens of hits, read about it for yourselves

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto that above. There are warnings all over this thing about "paint injection". I wear rubber gloves and don't get near the tip when I paint.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

jp.... dying to know what colors you went with and cant wait to see pics

I'll have a ton of pictures. I'm planning on doing a summary post of it all when it's done. If that takes too long, I'll start a thread about it and update as I go.

The hull is now "safety white" which is REAL bright (bugs love it when it's wet). Interior and top of hull will be gray or blue (probably gray). 2nd coat gets sprayed today, then will be flipped an put back on it's new trailer (for the first time). Then the transom goes in, etc etc.