My Skiflite restoration project.

raulbadillo

Cadet
Hello everyone, first of all, I am glad to have found a forum with friendly and helpful folks. My name is Raul Badillo, Im 28 and live in Fargo, N.D. Last year I bought my first boat for 300 dollars. Its a 1966 Glastron Skiflite V-142 with a 66 Merc 500. She runs very well, actually, I was impressed. I used it in the condition it was in for three months for fishing mostly as I love to catch them walleyes and pikes but I made plans to restore the boat as best as my budget would allow. I have a few questions and will post them with the pics of the progess.

angleview.jpg

before.jpg

motorshot.jpg

sideview-1.jpg

these were taken when I first bought her, I think the motor alone is worth more than 300 dollars. I decided to redo the interior as the seats where rotted and I wanted pedistal seats instead of back to backs and I wanted carpet.

cleanedandgutted.jpg

I gutted it out and cleaned it up.
So far I bought the following items and have mounted the bases for the seats. I am waiting for decent weather to install the carpet.

camerahappy.jpg

I also repainted the trailer and rewired it. I plan on getting new rims and tires so i sprayed the old rims with the tires on. oversprayed a bit but didnt care as they were going to the dumpster soon.

One question is do you guys think she can pull a person behind her in a tube? The motor runs well but needs a tune up and carbs need to be redone.

I want the bottom half a blood red to match the interior and need help selecting the primer and paint. I looked at Rustoleum Gloss paint at the local Depot but wasnt sure on what kind of paint I am looking for. What should I ask the service rep when I go in to look for the paint? This paint was oil based I think. I have three options for painting equipment. I have a gravity feed gun with compressor, I have an electric airless sprayer, and the good ol rollers. I want a good finish and understand that prepwork is of the upmost importance here so I will pay attention to that when I get there. I am looking for specifics here, brands, what type of paint, is a clearcoat needed, if so what to use, ect. I am truly a noobie here but my boat won my heart the first time I took her out so I am treating her with a good ol fashion cosmetic makeover. Thanks to all that reply and any opinions will be accepted as help not criticism as I have seen on other peoples posts here. Some people ask for help but when they dont get the answer they are looking for they seem to get mad lol. Not me, I take it as an important step into becoming a helpful person in the future for someone else!

Thanks, Raul Badillo Jr.

Last edited:

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Skiflite restoration project.

Sweet little boat man! I'm looking forward to the rebuild. :)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on it Raul,....

If this is going to be a Trailer Boat,+ Not docked all season,...
The Rustolium enamel will work Just Fine.....
I'd see if you can get a can of the Hardener for it,+ Spray it with your gravity gun......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here's one i am finishing, used rustoleum, roll and tip process.

150boat003.jpg

150boat002.jpg

150boat001.jpg

raulbadillo

Cadet

Ayuh,.....

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on it Raul,....

If this is going to be a Trailer Boat,+ Not docked all season,...
The Rustolium enamel will work Just Fine.....
I'd see if you can get a can of the Hardener for it,+ Spray it with your gravity gun......

Thanks Bond-o, yes the boat is trailered all year round, it will sit in the water for seven days straight each year starting this year while we vacation at a local resort but other than that it is always trailered. I am still wondering on the type of paint i need, oil based ect. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Rustoleum has a marine paint line now. I'd take a look into that.

raulbadillo

Cadet

ok guys, i just finished the interior except for gauges and a new steering wheel. Here are the pics of the project.

I gutted it bare!
cleanedandgutted.jpg

guttedout.jpg

raulbadillo

Cadet

Heres the before and after pictures.

Before
before.jpg

After
almostdone.jpg

redfury

Commander

Did you seal the holes that you made for the seat mounts before you screwed them down? If not, save yourself some trouble down the road and do it so they don't come loose from the eventual rot you'll get under them.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Raul - That's a nice sized boat - big enough to carry a few fishermen, small enough to get better gas economy than a bigger boat. Easy to trailer/launch too I would guess.

As for the paint - it's all what you want out of it. There are the high-dollar boat paints, then there's the Rustoleum crowd. Sounds like you'd probably be happy with the Rustoleum.

The Rustoleum Marine line is still alkyd-based (like their "Stops Rust" and "Professional" brands, according to the MSDS); I'd imagine it's formulated to "flow" better when roll/tipping than their other brands though.

I'd recommend spraying the Rustoleum Professional (from Lowes) with your gravity-feed gun. I'm comfortable using my airless, but many others don't like them. According to Rusoleum's website, the "Professional" brand is the same as the "Stops Rust", but dries faster.

raulbadillo

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, I actually bought the petit easypoxy marine paint and will be painting the top half red and the bottome half white. My wifes uncle paints houses professionally and he is very familiar with the roll and tip method and has a huge shop for the job. He said he has done this many of times.

Joey- yes the boat gets good gas mileage and the merc is strong enough to pull a tuber.

Redfury- I fiberglassed the section where the holes where cut prior to installing the bases. I precut the holes and glued the nuts on the underside of the wood. The bases are mounted using nuts and bolts. Took me four hours to do all the nuts and my fingers where sore after lol.