water strainer

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Mercruiser 5.0L 260 HP MPFI I/O on my boat. Is there a water strainer on this motor that I am supposed to be checking and emptying? It isn't clear from the owner's manual if these devices are present on all motors.
Thanks

bhammer

Ensign
Re: water strainer

There is a water seperator / filter and should be changed when you winterize the boat. If you know it hasn't been changed, go ahead and get a new one. the merc ones are white in color (the ones I have seen). To find it, follow the fuel line from your engine back towards the gas tank. Some real experts here will give you better info.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Mercruiser 5.0L 260 HP MPFI I/O on my boat. Is there a water strainer on this motor that I am supposed to be checking and emptying? It isn't clear from the owner's manual if these devices are present on all motors.
Thanks
Might could have one if there is a belt driven water pump. If such is the case it should be obvious to see. Normally the pump for the alpha's are in the drive and the water inlet holes serve as the strainer.

rndn

Commander

If you're talking about a fuel/water seperator, it could look like an oil filter attached inline with your fuel line. Just make sure you don't spill fuel into the engine bay and wipe anything out and allow the bay to air out completely so you don't smell any gas fumes in the lower bilge area.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a water strainer on this motor that I am supposed to be checking and emptying?

Ayuh,......

Just follow the Water Hose going into the raw water pump,.....
It either comes from the Outdrive, at the transom,.....
Or,.....
You'll find a sea-strainer,+ thru-hull fitting.....

They're built Both ways, so there's no way to tell you Which you have......

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I was referring to the water separator not strainer I have no idea if it was changed at winterization since I am a new owner, but I suspect it was. Is changing it once a year all that is needed? Should I routiunely be checking/draining this?

bhammer

Ensign

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I am talking about the fuel / water seperator that is installed on many boats. The filter will look almost like an oil filter and doesn't have a striner per say. I change the filter every winter and will check it after the first start of the year and then a couple times throughout the season. I pull the filter and dump the contents into a clear container and see if water is there.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I am referring to the fuel/water separator. I assume its function is to prevent water from getting into the fuel injectors. I will be trying to find it later today but my boat owners manual suggests it should be checked and looking at the diagram it appears to have a filter in it very similar to an oil filter. Assusming I have one, is there anything special I need to know regarding checking it and putting it back? Should I lubricate the O-ring to ensure a tight seal?
RK

bhammer

Ensign

Of course, if you find water, you need a new filter. I always use a little lube on filter such as this but I am not sure if the manual calls out for any. Good luck on your search.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Since you don't know how long it has been on the boat - if and when you find it - go ahead and put a new one on. Yes - just like an oil filter, put a thin film of oil on the rubber gasket seal when you install it.

If you find that your boat doesn't have one, put one on.

If you do find one, as mentioned, replace the cartridge regardless of what you discover when you pour out the contents. If there is water, it might not be a bad idea to evaluate the fuel in the tank.