Starter Drops out

kskomro

Seaman
89 Johnson 25HP, When I start, many times the starter will turn the engine only one or two rev's then drops out. I have to turn off, then back on again. Sometimes it's only 1/2 a turn, and it drops out. There are no teeth missing on flywheel or starter motor. Battery is good. Could it selinoid, or Starter? I'm using a 600 MCA Marine battery that tests good.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Drops out

I would check the starter motor first, you can jump the solenoid, just jump between the top and bottom post on the solenoid itself if the starter turns the motor over your problem is probably the solenoid, if it still does it probably the starter is bad.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think i would do a tuneup on the motor. the starter gear will not drop out unless the motor is spinning faster than the starter. thus, you motor is trying to start. but isn't. what exactly are your starting procedures.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I assumed "drops out" meant it quit turning, but ya if it drops because the motor is trying to start but doesn't TD is right.

kskomro

Seaman

The sad thing is that I just had it tuned up. I've now learned the pro's are you guys. The marina's just like to take my money. I Turn key, the motor sometimes cranks a half of a revolution, the starter gear drops down "winnnnnn" Then I turn key off, then back to start position and maybe 1-3 revolutions and if it doesn't start "winnnnnnn" it goes.

kskomro

Seaman

I'm guessing it must be the Solenoid right? Could it be the spring is not holding enough at times to keep full current to starter and the lack of power to starter is slowing down and letting the gear drop? I just checked, the Solenoid is about 25 bucks shipped verses a starter at almost 200

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is actually pretty normal, mine does it once in awhile.
If the starter is still spinning when it drops out it isn't a part problem, it will do the same thing even with a new starter and solenoid.
If the motor is trying to start it should be an adjustment not a part.
Always best to find the problem before you buy a bunch of parts you don't need, it sounds like a freebie to me, something as easy as turning up the idle or changing your starting procedure.
What is your current starting procedure lets start there.

kskomro

Seaman

That is actually pretty normal, mine does it once in awhile.
If the starter is still spinning when it drops out it isn't a part problem, it will do the same thing even with a new starter and solenoid.
If the motor is trying to start it should be an adjustment not a part.
Always best to find the problem before you buy a bunch of parts you don't need, it sounds like a freebie to me, something as easy as turning up the idle or changing your starting procedure.
What is your current starting procedure lets start there.

First - Thanks for your help.

Pump the fuel line ball a few times
Pull up lever for cold start
Turn key-Most of the time it starts, but sometimes it drops out. Then I retry with the key. If that is normal then i'm good with that, I'm cautious about getting stranded with my kids on board over a $20 part.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Battery is good. Could it selinoid
Provided you are absolutely sure the battery is good and charged it could be the solenoid but it could be a poor connection anywhere between the battery and the solenoid and engine or the negative between engine and battery. Check and clean all the connections positive and negative. But also try jumping across the solenoid as suggested by 5150abf.

tashasdaddy

it is not the solenoid, the motor is trying to start, when it tried to fire, the flywheel turns faster than the starter. thus the gear drops out. if the solenoid was bad it would not keep turning going winnnnn.

pump bulb till hard, idle lever all the way up, choke, turn key. it sounds as if it is properly tuned , not properly started. because it wants to run.

thellcon

Cadet

I have seen starters do this when people have oiled the the end of he starter shaft. The buildup of materials in the oil on the spiral shaft causes the starter to not engage fully thus dropping out. Remove the nut on the top of the starter pawl, remove the gear and spring and thoroughly clean the shaft and components and it should not be oiled.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The choke is only on if the key is pushed in, maybe try holding the key in longer.
on mine at least the choke comes off as soon as you stop pushing it in.
From what you have said I am pretty sure it is something as simple as that.

kskomro

Seaman

The choke is only on if the key is pushed in, maybe try holding the key in longer.
on mine at least the choke comes off as soon as you stop pushing it in.
From what you have said I am pretty sure it is something as simple as that.

Thanks, I didn't realize that was how you choked it. I have a little electric push button beside the single throttle shift lever. Do you have any idea what that is for?

tashasdaddy

remove the hood. turn the key to on. push in on the key, you should hear the choke click. if not push the button and see if it clicks. sometimes switches go bad, and people rig things with a push button.

kskomro

Seaman

remove the hood. turn the key to on. push in on the key, you should hear the choke click. if not push the button and see if it clicks. sometimes switches go bad, and people rig things with a push button.

Thanks again, You are good! I did'nt know that was how the choke worked. I tried like you said, when I pushed the key in I can hear the choke click. The button I have no idea what it is for. It was made that way, has wires going to it. Could it be a by pass of some sort?

Attachments

• Control Button.JPG
    Control Button.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

that looks like a safety lanyard kill switch, if your motor runs without a lanyard, it has been disabled.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The position that you have circled in your thumbnail is the emergency kill switch. Without the appropriate lanyard you cannot start the motor.

kskomro

Seaman

that looks like a safety lanyard kill switch, if your motor runs without a lanyard, it has been disabled.

That must be what it is because there is no lanyard attached. Only the key. There is a electrical port below the key switch, but nothing is attached.

It still amazes me, last week I called the marine repair shop, told them of these different issues and they of were of no help at all, like they had no knowledge at all, and you guys have correctly guided me through. Thanks again

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The lanyard is part number 0432230. The plug below the ignition switch is for a tachometer if the motor is wired for it.

kskomro

Seaman

The lanyard is part number 0432230. The plug below the ignition switch is for a tachometer if the motor is wired for it.

The motor starts fine, I don't see any location for a lanyard connection.