pics of my boat project

redfury

Commander
Re: pics of my boat project

Looks like you need to deal with drainage back to the bilge still. Seems that nobody does this initially :confused:

I'd think make sure the drain areas were established in the wood before I started adhering anything to the hull, and properly sealed. The problem is getting the water to the bilge and OUT of the boat in the first place, isn't it?

Looks really good though. I'm definitely going to get my stringers done this year.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Removed

Removed

Removed

Last edited:

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

should i drill a 1/2 or bigger hole through the bilge and then seal a pvc pipe in place to seal the hole that i made with the drill. i didnt think of that before i put it in

drainbilge-2.jpg

Coors

Captain

Or just drill a hole and smear some epoxy in it.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

well i did some glassing today. it is not the funnest thing to do. the first spot i started i got 2 layers on before the resin started to kick. that was a learning exprience. (move faster, and dont have the kids around they ask too many questions.) on the opposite side of the stringer i was able to get 4 layers on. then the bilge i got all glassed in execpt for the tops. after i got all that done i stopped for the day. and just sat in the boat looking at everything. and noticed the side that i got 4 layers on. the 2 inch over lap on the hull ( total of 8 inches on glass out from the stringer) stiffened up the hull to where i doesnt move when i push on it with my hand. and where there was no extra glass i could push it and it flexed. so now im thinking when im done glassing in the stringer i will put a layer of chop stran mat over the entire hull to strengthen it up some. or do you think that would be over kill.

i will get some pics posted after dinner

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A neat alternative to replacing rotten stringers is to rebuild your boat the way Chrysler built boats in the 60's that are still around today: Completely remove the floor, stringers, and any foam (wet or otherwise). Then cut and fit in the new floor using 5/8" plywood glassed on the bottom . Epoxy the floor in place. Cut 6 or 8 2" holes in the floor and pour foam in the holes and allow it to expand and come out the holes. Once cured, cut off the excess coming out the holes, fit in the 2" holes cut out with the hole saw, and glass over the top of the floor.

The foam sticks to anything and everything so the hull is attached to the floor. It is all one piece and more rigid than you will ever believe or get from stringers. And its fast because you save the time of making, fitting and glassing in the stringers. And it will not sink. Also, the new foams are much more resistant to absorbing water than the stuff from the 60's and 70's that you really don't have to worry about water absorption and soggy foam in your lifetime.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

well here are the pics

this is the side i only got 2 layers on
Picture002-1.jpg

this is the side i got 4 layers on
Picture004-1.jpg

and this is the bilge all glassed in
Picture003-1.jpg

redfury

Commander

A neat alternative to replacing rotten stringers is to rebuild your boat the way Chrysler built boats in the 60's that are still around today: Completely remove the floor, stringers, and any foam (wet or otherwise). Then cut and fit in the new floor using 5/8" plywood glassed on the bottom . Epoxy the floor in place. Cut 6 or 8 2" holes in the floor and pour foam in the holes and allow it to expand and come out the holes. Once cured, cut off the excess coming out the holes, fit in the 2" holes cut out with the hole saw, and glass over the top of the floor.

The foam sticks to anything and everything so the hull is attached to the floor. It is all one piece and more rigid than you will ever believe or get from stringers. And its fast because you save the time of making, fitting and glassing in the stringers. And it will not sink. Also, the new foams are much more resistant to absorbing water than the stuff from the 60's and 70's that you really don't have to worry about water absorption and soggy foam in your lifetime.

As long as the hull is glassed in to where NO water can intrude under into the foamed in area, other than the weight of the foam potentially adding more weight than just stringers, I think it would be a viable alternative..though you'll probably find more against than for this idea.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Most boats have foam and stringers. If they just added a little more foam, the stringers would not be needed at all.

Coors

Captain

And, if you think f/glass is a pain, try epoxy.
It costs more, but so much easier to work with. You cant use catalyst to
kick 8 hours later.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

well it rained all day today so i couldnt get any more glass done but its supposed to be nice monday and tuesday. so i should be able to finish it up. then the foam will be next.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

well i got more glass work done on the boat today. im hoping to be done by the weekend. then i can put the foam in....
did i mention i HATE FIBERGLASSING IT SUCKS... i dont think i will ever do this again. hope i wont have to on this boat.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

have i mentioned i hate fiberglassing

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would like to hear more about this idea as I have tought about doing this
What are you opinions ?

Coors

Captain

Foam absorbs water, and water seeks out the foam, even when you are on dry land, and asleep.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

almost done capping the stringers it started to rain so i stopped. next will be the blue foam board, then deck. hopefully it doesnt rain tomorrow i want to finish the glassing this weekend and have the floor in by next weekend (3 day weekend)

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

well after i got done eating dinner the sun started to come out. so i finished glassing the stringer. finally. now when its time to put the deck in i will have to glass that in but that wont be as bad as the stringer. all flat surfaces. im glad that is done!!!!!!!