Valspar Marine Topside Paint

Cptkid570

Ensign
Hey Everyone,

About a year ago, I bought some Valspar Marine Topside Paint from Ace Hardware. I liked it because it was Polyurethane enamel like Interlux Brightsides, but was about half the cost.

Now, I can't find it anywhere. I finally got started on my project, used up my quart of it (that I'd bought a while back) and now I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know where I can find more of it (in the Gloss White)

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Valspar Marine Topside Paint

Lowe's has been a Valspar retailer for some time now. Might contact them and see if they could steer you in the right direction for the marine stuff.

i386

Captain

Looks like they've sold their marine coatings business...

"Valspar sells marine coatings business. Jotun AS, a Norwegian coatings manufacturer, has agreed to acquire the marine coatings division of Minneapolis-based Valspar, whose 1998 sales totaled $25 million, under undisclosed terms Completion of the deal is expected next month. No manufacturing facilities will be included in the transaction, but Valspar will provide both manufacturing and administrative support to Jotun for a period of time once the..."

http://www.jotun.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jotun_(company)

I've not been able to locate any retail dealers.:(

Cptkid570

Ensign

Does anyone know of any other Marine Topside paints that are polyeurethane enamel that are more around $15 per quart (like the Valspar was)... I know it's not much difference than the Brightsides that's like $30 per quart, but figured I'd ask..

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Benjamin Moore's M22 "Industrial Enamel" is a urethane alkyd enamel. It's $32 a gallon, and can be tinted to any color out of their color book. I used it on my jetski hull and it seems pretty tough. Only had it in the water twice since it's been painted, though.

My Ace Hardware's catalog showed that I could order Valspar Marine paints - evidently it's outdated!

Cptkid570

Ensign

I saw that.. also found this place called Fiberglass Coatings out of St. Petersburg, FL. Don't know the shipping prices, but the price per quart is good... Anyone heard of them?

http://www.fgci.com/

fish22

Recruit

I have exactly the same problem. I bought a quart of valspar marine paint at farm and fleet several years ago and got my fishing boad half painted. I went back to get some more and they don't have it. Now I see from the post that this line has been sold. Does anyone know if the company that bought this line out still makes it and how to get it?????

Cptkid570

Ensign

I wasn't able to find it. I would definitely recommend a high quality marine paint for the other half of your boat -- Like a innerlux brightsides. Even if it will cost you more, the quality will show. I bought a cheapo paint and it yellowed some... the Valspar didn't.. it's not recognizable by anyone but me, but I can tell that the part of the boat painted with Valspar is still a nice and bright white, while the other paint is a little off color.

894jerry

Recruit

In 2002 I bought a gallon of pollyurethane enamel from lowes. I painted my cobia 15 ft vhull with it. It turned out beyond my wildest hopel. I still have that boat and the paint is as shiney as if new . The boat has been run aground at shore line countless times, beat and banged at docks. I even ran into a couple of tree logs. believe me that has been one tough paint. Now I need it to repaint my cruiser after sanding off algae and can't find it.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Funny seeing old threads. My opinion... Painting a boat is a lot of labor and the labor is very important. Don't cheap out on the paint. Spend the extra money on the paint. You are already saving money by doing it yourself and put in a lot of hard work. Let your hard work pay off by using real good paint.

894jerry

Recruit

Supermarinepaint.com has a polyeurathane paint with activator called supermarine-1000. I used valspar like this in 2002 on 15' ski boat. It still looks perfect. Supermarine 1000 isn't cheap. With thinner it will cost around $220.oo per gallon. It will cover around 300-400sq ft. I just ordered half a gallon for my 32ft bayliner which should be almost one gallon

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Funny seeing old threads. My opinion... Painting a boat is a lot of labor and the labor is very important. Don't cheap out on the paint. Spend the extra money on the paint. You are already saving money by doing it yourself and put in a lot of hard work. Let your hard work pay off by using real good paint.

A man after my own heart LOL.

I can tell ya that I have personally done some paint jobs that had more in labor and materials just because the Paint was less expensive. Its just not worth it IMHO ..

YD.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I recently painted my house. And it sucked painting my house. Up on a ladder, in the heat, arms and legs tired. I didn't even compare paint prices. I asked the paint place "which paint will last the longest". I have no idea how much more I spent on the paint, and I don't care. I care that the paint I got will last longer than the other paints....because the longer it lasts, the longer I don't have to be up on that ladder painting.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I understand Both sides of painting ..

1. Get her done .. its not that important to look to the future and this works well for Informed DIYers.
2. Git it Right .. Not so much applied because of expense.

I think the 50/50 rule applies Sometimes .. 50% of the time you dont need all the primers and sanding and whatnot that goes into a Good job... however I think the latter might require less time in the application of End results.

The prep is the prep .. no matter What you want to topcoat it with .. its still the prep.

Rusto might be an option .. and Awlgrip might be an option ( Imron or etc. is still a viable option ).

Just lets say you want to get back to boating .. sometimes the way to go is the Fast and Easy way .. but sometimes its not so Fast and Easy.

100 bucks a gallon will get you in the water in a few days .. 25 bucks a gal might take a week or more like a month .. its up to you to decide whats in your best interest ..

Its really up to the end user to determine When and Where and How long ..There is an App for that ;) ..

YD.