Serious Toyota Information

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Serious Toyota Information

that is the most intelligent recall ive ever seen........

i would also imagine someone is out of a job......

i also smell tremendous oppertunity here.......

anybody wanna start buying and fixing toyotas?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks bob...

and see guys.......we watch each others backs here

puddle jumper

Captain

They had a similar recall on the old Tercels. That's what a company can offer when it operates in the black and not in the red

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fascinating.

How to turn a colossal blunder into positive PR. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Toyota has been buying back the old trucks at 1 1/2 times the KBB "excellent" retail price. The average 2000 has been getting $15000 +/- from Toyota regardless of condition or miles. If the frame does not pass the "hammer test" for rust and is perforated ..... it is done.

Additionally Toyota is providing the people with other perks such as a free rental vehicle for 30 days and some "Loyalty Certificates" if they repurchase a Toyota.

Yes, JB it is good PR from a poor situation but, Toyota has the cash to afford it.

rndn

Commander

As an 07 Tacoma owner, it makes me feel great how Toyota is standing behind their products. You would never see any of the Detroit makers do anything like this.
My Uncle had bought a Sterling sedan from an auction years ago and a few years later the rear doors were rusting out at the bottom. He took it to the dealer for an estimate for new door skins and found out because of some problem, Honda had done the same and replaced all four doors with brand new doors all at no charge. Honda offered a lifetime rust warranty for the car even though the car was purchased at an auction.

JB

My guess is that Toyota is making a wise investment in public trust.

I don't think one could buy that much positive PR for twice the cost.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Buying some trucks may be cheaper than the lawsuits if people start getting hurt. I'm sure they did a CBA and learned a little from the Ford/firestone fiasco.

They can spin it all they want to try to make it a positive but to me it's a case of CYA.

Bob or anyone know what is happening to the trucks. Parted, shipped overseas????

I bet you wont find too many for sale in the local classified right now:D

Bob_VT

Staff member

As far as we have been told at the dealership level.... the trucks are crusher bound for re-cycling. No parts will be sold.

JB

Lighten up, DJ.

American workers who make their living building Toyota trucks in the USA collect a lot of those bux.

Your reference to Pearl Harbor is about as relevant as Henry Ford's anti-semitism.

One big difference between Toyota's move and the Firestone and Pinto scandals is that Toyota spoke up before any media lynching and public outrage occurred.

Damage prevention and damage control work differently when it comes to public relations.

Bob_VT

Staff member

As a former Toyota employee (as of 5:00 today) I want to toss out a few facts....

I was eager when I heard about this "warranty" since I drive a 2000 4Runner (built on a tacoma frame) the 4Runner is made in Japan. The warranty does not apply to any frame built outside the USA. That cancelled my thoughts on a warranty.

The Tacoma's that are in question were manufactured in the USA by our fellow Americans. I don't blame anyone for the defect.....

Never question my integrity! I only pass on what I have been told. I doubt in this is any sort of cinical or subvert act.

Yes DJ I am aware of 12/7/41 only slightly less than 14 years before my birth and less than 32 years before my enlistment and 20 yrs on active duty.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Please someone show me how in the name of Dr. Demming, and The Toyota Business System this type of quality/engineering oversight happens?? Could it be the mighty Japanese engineering and quality systems have a chink in their armor??

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

As an 07 Tacoma owner, it makes me feel great how Toyota is standing behind their products. You would never see any of the Detroit makers do anything like this.

Not true. Not true at all.

There have been recalls, Technical Service Bulletins sent out, and even goodwill work done by the Big 3. My wife's car ('07 Impala SS V-8) is being repainted right now, on good will work -- there were lots of rock chips on the front bumper, hood, fenders, roof. When she took it to the dealer for an estimate (we were just going to pay for it) they called 2 days later and said
'Bring it in and leave your checkbook at home -- GM's gonna pay for it.'

I have to say, I find it humorous, that a post called 'Serious Toyota Information' that deals with a recall of Toyota's, can somehow be turned into a flaming of the Big 3 automakers. No one said anything against them -- but someone had to jump on the offensive.

I'll leave it there...

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Has anyone seen mention of this in the main-stream news? I haven't.

Thats rather odd ....most any info regarding the health of the auto world makes it to the front pages pronto these days...

The date on the Blog is March 7.....nearly a month ago.

I've owned two Tacomas...both sold off rust-free. California uses little or no salt on the roads out here.

Thanks Bob for the information. Was the 5 O'clock departure planned and considered a good thing (by you anyway???)

Chuck

waterinthefuel

Commander

It hasn't been in the news because nobody's died. It's not even a recall. It's good-will work, which will never make the news.

In order to make something newsworthy, one or more of the following must occur:

A child must be molested or killed
A beautiful co-ed kidnapped and/or murdered
Someone must be killed
A car must blow up, flip, or do something else that puts fear in people
An American soldier must die
A plane, even a small private one, must crash or have gear problems

Other than that, it ain't makin' news anytime soon.