Anyone think this is worth $200?

Griflog

Cadet
Re: Anyone think this is worth $200?

Thanks for all the honest answers, guys. I told the gentleman I wasn't interested after reading all of the replies. I'm not opposed to a fixer-upper, but that one would be beyond my capabilites. As luck may have it, I have found another rig that looks much more doable. I'm going to post some pics, have at it!

Attachments

• 8ec6_12.jpg
    8ec6_12.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6005_12.jpg
    6005_12.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • 6245_12.jpg
    6245_12.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8325_12.jpg
    8325_12.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 9815_12.jpg
    9815_12.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Go second one....that Johnny 70 is a GEM...first freaking junk...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Can't say that's my taste... BUT, I'm a definately a fan of that era of jonnyrude engines... If even remotely taken care of they'll usually go pretty much forever... Still, if you've stepped up that far in a day... think what you might run across if you keep looking... I might do some hard reading about what to really look for, think about what you want, how much time you want to spend boating and fishing, versus wrenching or slingling glass and resin, breathing styrene and itching from glass fiber (not what some poor uninformed souls would consider fun...).

Where in Illinois are you at? that looks more familiar than I would like to admit... Either way on everything... good luck. Hope you find something you like and that you enjoy it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'd be all over it for $200! The motor itself, even if it doesn't run, is worth at least $500. Plus the trailer has got to be worth the asking price. If nothing else, you can turn over the boat for parts for enough to start a seed fund for something better. Might even find that the motor doesn't need much beyond cosmetics, in which case you've got a motor, and just need to find a better boat. I bought a similar boat last summer - 1972 MFG Gypsy - in rough shape for $50.00. I kept the trailer and 1972 Merc 50hp and put the boat back by the roadside with a $50 price on it. Sold it in less than a week...
- Scott

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I disagree with the others. Check the compression on the motor and the components. The motor alone could be worth five or six hundred dollars with a cowling off ebay(10 - 20 bucks) and a little elbow grease.

I work on these things all day, so I may look at it different.

chad

p.s. Offer him like a hundred bucks to take it off his hands

"It was running six years ago the last time I started it", 40hp, 30 year old outboards sell for AT LEAST $200 around here, usually more...

Griflog

Cadet

Can't say that's my taste... BUT, I'm a definately a fan of that era of jonnyrude engines... If even remotely taken care of they'll usually go pretty much forever... Still, if you've stepped up that far in a day... think what you might run across if you keep looking... I might do some hard reading about what to really look for, think about what you want, how much time you want to spend boating and fishing, versus wrenching or slingling glass and resin, breathing styrene and itching from glass fiber (not what some poor uninformed souls would consider fun...).

Where in Illinois are you at? that looks more familiar than I would like to admit... Either way on everything... good luck. Hope you find something you like and that you enjoy it.

Not in Illinois, in Lexington KY. I've only started looking, but everything I find I am posting here to get unbiased opinions from the experts. :)