Next project

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
So I've been thinking lately, once the boat is done, I think I'd like to take on the project of building a plane from scratch.

I'm thinking a 2 seater with the passenger behind the pilot, fly by wire controls, and no IVR equipment or guages. It's also more than likely that any plane I built wouldn't be "legal" by FAA regulations because I'm thinking part of the fun of it would be to have it completely stripped of most instrumentation. I'm thinking a fuel guage, maybe 2-3 more engine guages, and a radio, and that's it. As far as the form is concerned, I'm thinking something similar to a cessna 172. The engine might be the most difficult aspect, since I really don't want to use an aircraft engine, and am not sure how much HP would be required for flight. But I'll try to figure that out, then find a lawnmower engine that puts out enough hp. Why not use an aircraft engine you ask? Because that wouldn't be a challenge.

I know there's plenty of pilots in here, so what do you think?

Oh, by the way, I'm not a pilot and have no formal flight training and I'm not going to be using any engineered kits or even any CAD plans.

Can it be done? Do you think I can do it? Do you think it'll fly? Do you think I'm nuts?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Next project

You are nuts. Home made and plane do not belong in the same sentence.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

D

DJ

If you're not a pilot, what's the point?

An "uncertified" aircraft would be a very hard sell, to a prospective buyer, unless it's (possibly) an ultralight. Those can also be dangerous without extensive training.

Flight is NOT something you want to scrimp on, or fool around with. You can't pull over or paddle.:eek:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Yayy, the more it's considered nuts, the more I want to do it.

By the way, I wouldn't be selling it, I'd fly it. Yeah I know I wouldn't be able to fly in or out of airports, but there's a large field out back that gets mowed real low a few times a year... I'm sure my neighbor who owns it would let me use it as a runway a couple times a year. I do have some informal flight training, so I am confident in my abilities as a pilot (or wanna-be pilot anyway). Besides, what would be the fun in selling it? I might as well put together a kit if I was going to do that. But that's no fun.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey sarg......:D

it has been done...!!!

2 brothers in kittyhawk north caroilna

um..... sarg....its my motto never to supress the creative....with your obvious education...you could probably build a flight worthy craft......
might have to morgtage everything including the dog and cat .......count on 30k minimum

im more worried of you testing it...!!!!......even an ultra lite needs foward momentum.....and 35 mph foward speed.....and ten feet off the ground...is very dangerous.....

my uncle built a gyrocopter in his garage...no formal flight training.....he crashed it 4 times.....the fourth he just about died....finally a helocopter pilot friend of his climbed in and flew it around....he never got to fly it......

if i may make a sugestion...?????

go take ground school....fixed wing.....that will give you a basics of flight.....it will cost 500ish bucks......then decide if you want to proceed.....at least you will have a good understanding of what you need to acheive flight.....and the dangers.....i know a few guys that have built aircraft...they all were pilots....and they flew them......

but your not a pilot...and youll want to fly it....:(

btw....you'll need a few more gauges than that....:)

cheers
your buddie
oops

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the vote of confidence Oops. I checked into ground school once, but it was $2700 here; so I just bought the textbook instead.

I don't know what other guages I'll need, since it will be fly by sight only. Of course a good compass is a must, but beyond that, I can't think of anything. Most instruments are there for IVR flight, so I'm thinking most of them aren't absolutely necessary.

Although I intend to employ every lightweight construction technique I can, I do not like being in high places in an unenclosed space, so it will be built more like a normal small aircraft instead of an ultralight.

I think I can do it for less than 30k though... in fact, I'm betting on 5k min, 10k max. It will definately not be a luxury airliner though.

I don't think I'll have too much trouble flying it... if it'll get airborne I can handle it. My biggest concern would be finding out it won't get airborne more than halfway down the strip with too little space to brake. I might have to find a long flat stretch of empty road somewhere to give me some extra runway distance on the first flight.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you are nuts, but that doesn't matter. i'm thinking legal ramifications, when you crash into the neighbors house. when the FAA catches up with you. when you hit a gopher hole in that field.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

i think you are nuts, but that doesn't matter. i'm thinking legal ramifications, when you crash into the neighbors house. when the FAA catches up with you. when you hit a gopher hole in that field.

They'll never catch me... mwah ha ha ha ha! :D

No gophers or moles on this property either... plenty of rabbits, but haven't seen a rabbit hole yet. I think the rabbits live in the woods or something and just come into the fields to eat.

I won't crash into the neighbor's house... the ground maybe... :D

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay SgtMaj , You can do it !!!!! my step dad has one in his garage that he is working on . Infact hes a nut my old 90hp merc that came with the boat i am working in now , well it was shot , he wanted it for another ultralight he wanted to do !!!!! so go for it !!!!! John

jcsercsa

Captain

Ohhh ps. he couldnt use it , I forgot why but said some thing about about not getting it certified on inspected !!! But he has two other motors for it !! go for it !!! John

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You might be crazy but embrace it!! :D

1. Finish your boat and now you are planing to do another project that would take time away from your boat? Is that right?

2. Build an ultra light airplane which would be cheaper.....

3. Consider building a small racing boat.... there was a person here on iboats that built one from aluminum once.....

4. Build a hyper-miler two seater car with 3 wheels. With 3 wheels you only have to conform to motorcycle safety standards.... something to comute with.

i386

Captain

Want a safe and challenging technical project? I'm looking into building an electric guitar and a low watt tube amplifier (1/2 to 1 watt). Wood working, electronics, lots of new tools to buy and learn. Lots of precision measuring! I've been reading books about it for about 3 years. I'd like to do other woodworking too. I can outfit a 20x40 shop with major power tools and dust collection for under 10K. That would be much less with used equipment. Say another 2-3K in smaller power tools and other goodies (can never have too many clamps right?). You can have a nice stringed instrument shop for probably under 5K. It would be a good way to get into the new CNC woodworking stuff too.

I think if I were going to get into building stuff that flies, I'd start with kits. It probably wouldn't hurt to find a club that's into that too. It's always good to have other people to learn from.

How about a remote controled submarine with a camera? That would be cool?

Heh I'm just trying to challenge you. If you're looking for a project with a high degree of technical challenge, they're out there!

I knew a guy who was KILLED this week when he tried to land his plane. It was a new plane and he was an experienced pilot.....I sujest you read and understand your life insurance policy......you next of kin will be needing it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey sarg....why not start out with a scaled down model.......

one that you build from scratch....no plans....say somthing with...a seven foot wing span......then you can see if you like the project?

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Sarge, it sounds like a lot of guys here are tryin to save your life! :eek:
If it ain't a "legal" plane you might skip the second seat.
Sounds like a trip to Osh Kosh for the experimental plane rally should be on your todo list. Probably more good advise for you there than you could shake a stick at.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i gotta admit buddie.....

this ones really worrien me...because i know you have the drive and the smarts to do it........i have no doubt that one could be built....and yes, you could build it....

but the reason commercial air liners are safe...is because we have learned from every death that has occured since man started flying. its taken us 70 years and countless deaths to get it half right !

and forget about 5 grand.....unless its a kite.

the chances of building without major structural flaws...without plans are...well...not good......

from the ground up is an exellent reference manual as you know....but there is a big difference between book knowelage and practical hands on flight training time.

if it was just you.....id lend ya my pilots course.

but you have kids........

ntsb has walked up to a lot of ..."smoking holes".....just to find dead daddys:(

before you build it....if you build it....PLEASE take a pilots course.

we advise people to take safe boating courses.....and thats just floating on the water....flight is a whole different ball game

please, re-think this one my friend.

oops

D

DJ

I'll reiterate-bad idea without extensive training. I can read a book about running a marathon, that doesn't mean I can.

Ever heard the term: "augered in"?

If your boat sinks, you can swim, especially with a PFD. No matter what you think, you cannot fly, no matter how hard you flap your arms.

We don't want to see a C & P newspaper article, about you, on these forums.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your seroius about wanting to build an airplane I would say contact your local EAA chapter. I'm sure they have few people building airplanes that would be willing to let you help, or at least watch.

No license no passagers

ONLY THING NON PILOTS CAN FLY ARE ULTRALIGHTS UNDER FAR PART 103.

If your interested I would read the rules, you can not do very much.