I have a whole lot of stress cracks.

whall

Recruit
I have a 1976 21? Welcraft. I have a lot of stress crack all over the boat. I have seen suggestion on how to fix 1-2 cracks but not for a lot of cracks. This boat is not worth a lot of money but I would like to improve the looks of the boat. Is there some kind gel coat resurface kit that can be over the entire boat and then paint the boat?

Thanks for your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I have a whole lot of stress cracks.

are you sure you have a good solid base to start with. no rotted or deteriorating wood substructure. i serously doubt you would want to go to the cost of regell coating. if they are spider cracks i might sand it, prime it to fill the best you can, then paint it with the roll and tip process.

whall

Recruit

I do not any rotten wood that I have found. I will take a picture and post it tommorow. What is the roll and tip process? Where can I buy it at?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

roll and tip is a process for apply any paint. you roll it on, and use a brush to smooth it out. the main thing with painting is the prep, it takes far longer to prep, than to paint. the prep is what make the finish last.

rndn

Commander

Welcome to the iboats forum!

kevincoe

Seaman

My 1976 Grady also has a bunch of tiny and a couple not so tiny cracks. The bigger ones seem simpliar to repair. Its the tiny ones, along the rail that seem to be from heat exposer(never being covered and left in the sun to bake for thirty years,not good!) that are giving me the same headache. How to fill cracks that are amongst the non-skid rail? Somebody help us old boat owners! I am also going to wax the outside, that I believe is going to come out great, seems to have only slight oxidation. Any suggestions on a good one-time wax?