Best place to get parts for my 59 evinrude?

PmDavis300

Petty Officer 2nd Class
iboats doesnt seem to have much. ive been ordering from garysmarine.com but they seem to be a bit pricey. anyone know of a good place for a 59 50horse evinrude?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best place to get parts for my 59 evinrude?

Have you checked the prices at BRP lately? Stands to reason they have to extend on down to the bottom of the food chain.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check out laingsoutboards.com they specialize in the older motors.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

PM - I would think you will want to minimize the cost of replacement parts for that motor. It simply is not worth putting in too much money. You could get a newer, more efficient motor (1970s) for $200-300.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Engine, Blade and Prop, Milwaukee, WI

tashasdaddy

Bombardier Recreational Products. bought Johnson/Evinrude, when they went bankrupt in the late 90's. this is where the OEM parts come from now and the Dealers.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

"http://shop.evinrude.com/"

PmDavis300

Petty Officer 2nd Class

brp and the evinrude site leads to the same parts site, which only goes back to '69

tashasdaddy

you can get service and parts manual here, "http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1959&ID=52902"

then order from dealer, or the online site.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You would be surprised at how many parts are still available from BRP. But get yourself a parts book for your specific motor. If you go to the dealer with part number in hand you will find them much more friendly than if you expect them to look it up for you. Many of them won't even give you the time of day othrwise.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

BRP publishes a short list of dealers in vintage parts at their website. You can find it and a lot of other useful information here:

"http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/FAQ/Older.Vintage.Products.htm"

PmDavis300

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys, well i dont know if i can justify spending yet another 30 bucks just for a parts manual... i only have a few parts left to buy, but i did look at some of those site you gave me and found a few that might serve me well. thanks

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you wish to own and operate a 1959 outboard, you would be foolish not to spend another $30 on manuals. Don't buy the Clymer or Seloc books because, IMO, they are nearly worthless. There are original OMC manuals (service & parts) available on Ebay sometimes and some of the other guys here can probably give you other sources.

As others have said, you might be surprised what you can still buy for older motors right from your local OMC/Bomardier dealer. That said, and as others have also pointed out, those parts can be expensive so those aftermarket proces really aren't as bad as you might think. In fact, even some of the OMC/Bombardier dealers are stocking aftermarket parts, if they have enough customers with old motors to justify it. I recently bought an aftermarket coil from my local dealer, for one of my motors.

PmDavis300

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i already have a manual, i dont need a parts manuel. and my seloc manuel is worth its weight in gold btw

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

thanks guys, well i dont know if i can justify spending yet another 30 bucks just for a parts manual... i only have a few parts left to buy, but i did look at some of those site you gave me and found a few that might serve me well. thanks

i already have a manual, i dont need a parts manuel. and my seloc manuel is worth its weight in gold btw

I guess you're hoping she never breaks down again eh? I wish I had your optimism!

PmDavis300

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess you're hoping she never breaks down again eh? I wish I had your optimism!

if it breaks down and i feel i need to shell out the money for the parts book i will, but right now i have about 75 dollars in parts to buy... why spend 30 bucks so i can save 20 on the remaining parts?
i dont make enough money right now to be spending that kind of money on something i dont absolutly need for the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Guys, I had a genuine OMC Service manual for my '58-59 Fat-Fifty. It was about 20 pages, and was not too good!