Resin bonds

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Well, next up on my list is going to be the tops of the gunwales, since I'm ready to do that project now and won't have to buy anything else for it. In order to level out the tops of the gunwales though, I need to let the resin pool and level itself out when I pour it into place. I don't think laying up layers of mat is very feasable way to do it as I doubt I will be able to reach a good level that way, however I do intend to add some mat once the resin has leveled itself. Anyway, I'm wondering, since I'm doing it this way, is it ok to do that in one pouring with the surfacing wax added, or will that cause it to have a bad bond with the surface? Should I lay down a thin layer of non-waxes resin first, or should I spray the pure wax on the surface after I pour the resin and lay the mat?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Resin bonds

sorry bud
dont understand....

u talkin bout the cap?
flipping the cap?

and wouldnt the wax be applied after a partial cure../chemical bond?

oops

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, sorry I don't have a picture on me that's very good so I'll have to pull this old one out... but you can kinda see how the top of the gunwales there slants down and out. The picture doesn't show it, but it's also uneven in some places. I want to level the top of that out by pooling resin on it once the boat is perfectly level, then the resin should, via gravity, level itself out.

New4.jpg

Now, in order to get the resin to fully cure, as I understand it, I have to mix in this surfacing wax... at least that's what I had to do to get the transom resin to fully cure. The directions on the surfacing wax also say to mix it in, not sure why as I can't figure out any particular benefit to mixing it in versus coating the surface later.

Did that make sense?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You need to use glass in it, if you don't it will be cracked before you finish the boat, let alone get it in the water. Resin has no strength, well some, but very little when compared to the glass, in a layup the glass takes the stress, the resin just holds the glass in place. You need to use a normal amount of glass to build it up, or it will be very weak and brittle. Don't build it up any more than needed and then sand it down until it's the correct shape.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

That's why I was going to lay the mat into it once the resin has pooled. OR... maybe I should shred some mat INTO the resin. If it's pretty well shredded, the resin should still level out even with the glass in it, I think. Any thoughts?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you put glass into it after it pools it will be no different than doing it the normal way, because if you add enough glass to reduce the chance of cracking, it won't flow anymore and you will have already changed the shape by using a brush or roller to work the glass in.

Why is the slope a problem?

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Why is the slope a problem?

Well it's not a structural problem, it's just that the slope is so uneven in places that it looks bad. So it's purely a cosmetic thing.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

What's the diff between vinyl and poly?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i mean vinal as in a covering....
they use it on the insides of a boat, allmost like carpet.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

You know, that could just work! a thin little piece of foam under the vinyl... hmm... you might just be on to something there... I have to think about this. :)

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

its cheep and fast

You know, those are two of my favorite words (I don't know why, but I have a feeling I'm going to get slapped when I get home :D )

One problem that I can see... I would need to have something to wrap the vinyl around, like a thin piece of wood or something, otherwise the edges will look bad.