Input on OEM vs aftermarket parts?

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
89 Evinrude 40 hp winter projects will be reseal gearcase, replace water pump, and possibly carb rebuilds. I would like to get opinions on whether the cost savings on aftermarket parts are worth it, or should I go OEM. I'll pony up the money for OEM if the quality of aftermarket is suspect, however, I like saving a few bucks when I can.

Thanks guys, your experience and opinions are greatly appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Input on OEM vs aftermarket parts?

You are going to get mixed feelings on this subject, but 1 thing I can guarantee is that you wont get anyone telling you that the Sierra or Mallory for example are superior to the OEM. If you do searches on this forum, you will find a few examples of where a Sierra impeller went bad after only a few outings etc... I buy OEM, not only because I feel their parts are superior, but also because I want to support the company's that manufacture the engines that we enjoy so much. When it comes to ignition components such as Power Packs, coils, etc... the CDI units are pretty reliable, and cheaper than OEM. But if you are doing the carb and impeller, I would reccomend OEM. But that is just my own humble opinion.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've had several bad sierra impellers. ditto on what HighTrim said.

D

DJ

I use OEM whenever possible.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree also. The Mallory carb kits were just like the OEM,i have both and could not tell the difference.I try not to buy Sierra anymore due to some poor gaskets i got and the bad rep on the impellers..The impeller i would only use OEM no matter what.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've always used OEM parts for a lot of the reasons stated above, including just supporting my local Bombardier/OMC dealer. I am about to find out how good CDI timer bases are though, because I need to replace one and the OEM part is $357 dollars v. the $227 price that I have seen for CDI units.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

BRP carb kits include the float which you hardly ever need but which drives most of the cost difference over Sierra, is why I been using Sierra, plus which I like to support iboats when possible. Sierra fuel pump kit - fine no problems. I spend the extra $5 or $7 for an OEM fuel primer bulb, but been using aftermarket (attwood) fittings with no problems. I use the economy 6 gal fuel tanks from wallymart - I get 3? good years out of 'em, plus about year and a half of annoying pressure seepage in hot weather. I also use aftermarket fluids & chemicals such as loctite, permatex, seafoam, berryman's, and walmart brand lubricants.

I wouldn't take a chance aftermarket oil seals but have no evidence (scientific or otherwise) to support that position.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all for your replies. I'll go OEM as reliability is a very key factor to me.

Any internet suppliers for BRP parts, or do I have to go to Johnnyrude dealers?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ishopmarine.com, same price as dealer, plus shipping. use your local dealer, help keep him in business, for when you really need him.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, TD. Will do.