My Snowmobile Accident

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
This past weekend I went riding with my Uncle up in the Tug Hill area of NY. We had just gotten our first significant snow fall and I was eager to ride my new sled. This is my second season riding and I just bought a fast 2002 Polaris 600 XC. Due to my inexperience, I took a corner too fast and hooked the left ski on a steel bridge. The impact ripped the ski right off the sled and flipped it over. I landed in deep snow but the sled did not land on top of me, thank god. Please, Please, Please be care if you snowmobile. I learned a valuable lesson and was very very lucky I wasn't hurt. I'm going out again this weekend and I'm going to drive like my grandmother...lol Everyone be safe.

Brian

damaged1.jpg

damaged2.jpg

damage3.jpg

damage4.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My Snowmobile Accident

You were lucky this time.
Be safe out there, everyone.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you sure broke that toys leg.

that snow is almost as hard as water, when you fall of the ski at 50mph.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Glad you didn't get hurt, cheap lessons are the best kind!
Man you sure uglied your sled though!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well glad you were not hurt....

The front end did it's job and appears repairable.... alot of parts (not too cheap) but repairable.

Were you wearing a helmut? Glad it was deep snow ...... we do not have enough here yet to safely snowmobile without tearing up the machines.

Get right back up on it..... lesson learned...... glad you did not hit anything when you flipped.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Fortunately I've found all the parts I need from a guy on e-bay who is parting out the same sled. I should get out of this for less than $500 I hope.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yea...Helmut is a must. I have all the right gear...pretty chilly if you don't...lol.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Speed Kills, buy Ski Doo. ;);):p I sledded for a bunch of years. Had a couple of accidents that left me sore and embarrassed (like yours). Glad your not hurt. Enjoy a safe rest of the season.

MikDee

Banned

Well, glad you're Ok! That was quite a spill, take it easy, at least until you get to know the machine, & your area, good luck, Mike

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Thank god your OK. I hope your wife slapped some since into you. jk I can't afford any snowmobile much less one that nice. Or, used to be that nice.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys...I appreciate the concern. I love my new sled, rides like a Cadillac compared to my old sled. Just need to keep my thumb out of the carburetor. I think by the time we get it fixed, it will be almost as good as new. My Uncle is a great mechanic who knows these Polaris sleds inside and out. If I had to have the dealer fix this, I would be in a world of hurt.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Winter. Bah, good for only old bourbon on ice and watching the fire burn.:):)

Sure glad only your pride was hurt and not body parts!!

beerrun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to hear you're ok. My friends nephew died a few years ago from a sledding accident up in Old Forge. Have fun but be careful. Glad to hear you had your helmet on too. You'd be surprised how many people around here ride without them. You would think they'd be freezing!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

glad your ok. coulda been worse if it landed on you.

my girl and i were sledding revelstoke in b.c. canada last year.
revelstoke is said to be some of the best snowmobiling in the world.
we were allmost at the top, in a blinding snow storm, when some guy came rippin down the main trail, around a corner, he said he was doin 40 mph (really sharp corners, cliffs, 100 foot drops,)
i think he got target fixation, thru his goggles i saw his eyes go wide, and he nailed my sled. right at at the strongest part of the sled. 3 inches away from my foot! he hit me so hard i rolled, then he bounced off me and hit my girls sled behind me! a double whammy!
he hit me so hard he broke not only his crankcase but the CRANKSHAFT TOO!!
(ive never seen a crankshaft break due to impact.) man he really nailed us.
i crawlled out from under the sled (just about over the cliff) and went to have a word with this gentelman!!! i was about three feet away from him (he was allerady backing away) when i heard my girl crying, i went over to her and she was pinned under her sled.

long story short...she only sprained her ankle. i was ok but was three inches from loosing my leg.....god was watchin for us....only explanation....

he said he was visiting from california, and borrowing his buddies sled.
his buddie had insurance. he wrote off all three sleds. $25,000 bucks worth. in a stupid second. they were up filming thoes wild sledding/skiing videos.
crazy thing was if he didnt hit me, he would have sailed right off the cliff. easy 100 feet down. he would have died, no question. good on film eh?

moral of the story is....fun is fun... but lives can be lost very easy, weither its an avalanch or just goin too fast down a main trail. its not just you but other people too.
be careful out there. be safe, be the guy thats too cautious! and youll come home!

ill get off the soap box now
cheers
oops

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

BRG25, no insurance?

Sure, you'd have to take it to a dealer if you did have insurance, but at least it'd get done fast enough to take it out next weekend.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

dont let experance fool you my old boss 20 years on a sled raced for 10 of them hit a tree cant work anymore no use of arms my cousion was born on one rode from the day she could walk when she was 30 she turned infront of hubby in a storm she toke a ski in the ankle he was going about 30 mph these thing are dangerous you have to be carefull and safe and this comeing from someone whos wide open all the time

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I do have insurance but only the liability required by New York State. The value of the sled in mint condition is only worth maybe $2800 and if had collision and made a claim, I'm sure they would have totaled it. I bought the sled with the knowledge that my Uncle can fix almost anything. As it turns out, with the used parts I found I ebay the total cost to fix it will be less than the deductable would have been. I should be back in business in about a week hopefully. Of course I'm going to owe my Uncle big time!