No Butts

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: No Butts

I know somebody from when when we lived in NY that quit and still ***** a shirt with a pocket on it but carried tooth pics to grab when he went after a smoke. From what I understand he stayed off the smokes all the way up until we moved, everybody's got different ways of handling quiting. I can't be of any help personally though I tried to quit and can't seem to swing it, turn around try to quit and something depressing happens, a family member faces death, something always happens to turn me back to the smokes. Back when I was a lead man at Tyson Foods I only smoked 3 or 4 a day but most of the time I slept all day after working all night. And I smoke them little cigars to use to smoke cigs. My sister n law (one of the family members who faced a potentially deadly health situation tried to quit and she wasn't successful. My father 63 years old started when he was 16 still smokes, my brother smokes, his wife smokes, and me. I know I would do allot better if I could quit and all these local friends and stories of people getting lung cancer you would think that would be enough to encourage me to quit.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and for your honesty. It's a help, believe me.

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

concrats on kicking the addiction.. I smoked for 30 years and quit 5 years ago, doctor give me pills called wellbutrin,took those and wore the patches.. that did the trick,no cravings anymore...:)

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My mother n law is 79 been smoking two to three packs a day like forever,she just quit using chantix or whatever its called.She said she still gets the urge but it isnt bad.The better half just got her some to start her program.I will have to soon too i imagine.Good luck!

jenoble01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to wish you good luck with quitting. My wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of March, so I think I'm going to quit dipping before the little tike gets here. The worst part about quitting is the habit, getting a dip after supper, one on the way to/from work etc. You get so used to doing that "routine" it's very difficult to break the habit. The fact that a can of Copenhagen is now 5.61/can helps a bunch. Quitting would pay my boat payment so the rewards far surpass the month or so long withdrawal symptoms. I purchased a two 2 can specials a few days ago, opened the can this morning, after that it's on the wagon for me. Good luck once again. We need and iboats tobacco cessation support group forum. :)

MikDee

Banned

Good luck once again. We need and iboats tobacco cessation support group forum. :)

Yes! Amen!

Maybe I'm falling for the "misery likes company" train of thought, but everything that's been said here I think, "Been There, Done That", or "Jeez, that hits home", I can really relate, but it all gives me some encouragement, I'm working on it now, Thanks.

DKMQ

Cadet

Was a "pack a day" guy, then quit for 2 yrs Then one day a few drinks and like a previous member stated "brain saying reward yourself w/ a smoke, you deserve it". Became a social smoker for a few months after, then a pack a week, then 2 packs a week, then...well you get the idea. My thoughts were "Man I enjoy smoking for now, I quit once I can do it again when ready." Eight years later with a little help with "need more money for my boating" decided to quit again. THE 2ND TIME WAS HARDER THAN THE FIRST! But for me setting the goal of rewarding myself with extra money for the 'ol boat, several bags of sunflower seeds and knowing that if I smoke just ONE cig or take even a PUFF ever again I would become a smoker once again. Most important...FLAT OUT WILL POWER! First day w/o smoking was the day the Cardinals clinched the World Series last year. For some reason remembering that instead of the actual date is more gratifying. For me it's better than remembering the last day I had a smoke, don't want to reflect on how enjoyable that last cig really was.

Quiting is TOUGH! But set yourself some goals, reward yourself when you reach a goal because each goal you reach w/o givin' in by golly you deserve a reward.

Congrats on your big step. I wish you the best of luck. Just remember not even a puff and you will make it. I'm still having to say that to myself 1 yr later but its seems to remind me that even though I want one, that one WILL become a "pack a day".

You can do it!

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[

Congrats on your big step. I wish you the best of luck. Just remember not even a puff and you will make it. I'm still having to say that to myself 1 yr later but its seems to remind me that even though I want one, that one WILL become a "pack a day".

You can do it![/QUOTE]

How true. Doc told me one smoke is like an alcoholic taking one drink.
Every other time I made this effort, the one or two puffs I snuck sent me right back to where I started.

BTW: I figured Red Sox in the playoffs would keep me distracted. We're down 3-1 to the Indians and I still didn't light up. Geez, that was rough. Maybe, I helped preserve the karma that took us through Oct. by staying clean.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i have quit three times all for more than 4 years each.
cold turkey. i waighted till i got a bad cold and then just stopped.
every time i got a craving i poped a tic-tac! was up to three packs of tic-tacks a day before i figgered i was cured.

as for the psychological..... know your triggers. every time you get in the car?
hands gotta do somthing?

tic tak for the car and a pencil for the hands.

i re started 2 yeras ago im just about ready to loose them again.

one thing.... every time you get a craving, fight it! do something else.... go for a quick jog. the cravings get less every time. 5 days is all you need, after that they get easy to fight.
however,,,, one drag of a smoke and you are back to squair one.
thats why cutting down doesnt work. it makes it hell for anyone.
do it quick and get it over with. the real test is after three weeks go for a beer. if you can fight that urge youve got it beat!

good luck keep fighting
oops

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

cold turkey. i waighted till i got a bad cold and then just stopped.
every time i got a craving i poped a tic-tac! was up to three packs of tic-tacks a day before i figgered i was cured.

as for the psychological..... know your triggers. every time you get in the car?
hands gotta do somthing?

tic tak for the car and a pencil for the hands.

i re started 2 yeras ago im just about ready to loose them again.

one thing.... every time you get a craving, fight it! do something else.... go for a quick jog. the cravings get less every time. 5 days is all you need, after that they get easy to fight.
however,,,, one drag of a smoke and you are back to squair one.
thats why cutting down doesnt work. it makes it hell for anyone.
do it quick and get it over with. the real test is after three weeks go for a beer. if you can fight that urge youve got it beat!

good luck keep fighting
oops

HAVING QUIT FOR 4 YEARS,WHAT MADE YOU GO BACK?MISS THE TASTE? STILL HAVING CRAVINGS? i SMOKED FOR 30 YEARS AND QUIT 5 YEARS AGO,THERES NOT A DAY THAT GOES BY THAT I DON'T THINK OF HOW FORTUNET AND THANKFUL I AM FOR HAVING MY DAYS WITHOUT CIGGERETTES AND WITH NO CRAVINGS.:) I ALSO QUIT DRINKING IN 1995,BEEN DOING GREAT WITHOUT THAT TOO. HAVE'NT READ ANYONE ON THIS TOPIC THAT MENTIONS THE YELLOW STAINS IT LEAVES IN YOUR CLOTHES IN THE CLOSET IF YOU SMOKE IN THE HOUSE.. IT RUINS THEM.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i SMOKED FOR 30 YEARS AND QUIT 5 YEARS AGO,THERES NOT A DAY THAT GOES BY THAT I DON'T THINK OF HOW FORTUNET AND THANKFUL I AM FOR HAVING MY DAYS WITHOUT CIGGERETTES AND WITH NO CRAVINGS.:) ..

My goal is to post that same message 5 years from now. Thanks for your support.

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

My goal is to post that same message 5 years from now. Thanks for your support.

I must have misread your post,I thought you quit for 4 years then went back.. good luck and kick its butt..:)

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been there myself. I would quit for 6 months or a year then go right back. Finally this last time I was able to do it. Used the patch and a ton of regular gum to take the edge off. But in the final count it was just an overwhelming desire to finally quit that did it.

Stick to it, you'll manage.
Paul, nonsmoker 6 years and counting.

Rally8-4-07018.jpg

now tats some nice butts:) :) :) yes I can!!! my wifes in the other room... smile for the camera:)

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

cold turkey.
oops

I wouldn't worry about quitting cold turkey. Quit smoking instead. Turkey is good for you.

Oh wait.

I see what you mean now.....

I've been cigarette-free for about 8 years now I beleive. Smoked from about 10 years old till I was about 21. Threw the pack in the toilet and screamed "I ain't gonna be controlled by this <--Bleep--> anymore."

Over the past 8 years I may have smoked 4 or 5 max. They tasted awful and smelled bad. Glad I quit. Hope all smokers can do the same. It's a shame to let a paper stick stuffed with a plant run your life.

ezbtr

Commander

geez guys some great answers - ok my deal is when my gf is around i never smoke! ok 1 puf in the bathroom this morning as she was in other showering(hmmm she's smart maybe she knew) but we can hang for all wknd and no big deal, my deal is i can't hurt her and how she feels - although she knows I slip - arghhhhhhhh, I want to quit! Course gotta put that patch on and not rip off....if I travel for work I slip(smokes only) AND I know I am my son's hope - long story - and gf works in med field.........I'll try Chantix....but i THINK I know it relies in ME TOTALLY wanting to quit......is a *****...boy to dump the THOUGHT would be great - BUT I tell ME, with all that's going on in my life, I am not perfect, BUT I AM doing well- would love thoughts guys...... :)

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you tried the patches? not everyone has the willpower to quit cold turkey,I did'nt,I tried the patches and found I would smoke and wear the patches at the same time,I went to the doctor and he give me packages of wellbutrin,a non nicotine pill to help cut the cravings.I tried those and they help about the same as the patches,so I kept taking the pills and put the patches on too and chewed on short pieces of straws,that did the trick,hardley any cravings,I did this for 1.5 months and most of the cravings were over,the cravings that were left I could handle on my own.. heres another little piece of help.. think of how much money your spending on ciggs and how much money you could save not having to buy them.. :) Good Luck.